Sign in to follow this  
jvheitz

Saiga 7.62 project

One other item to mention: If you install the bullet guide (which I did) none of my mags would lock into place. I had to file some plastic off each mag where it hits the bullet guide until they would lock into place. I hope the bullets feed correctly from these mags into the chamber, we shall see at a later date.

Drilling and tapping for the bullet guide is easy, just go slow, use a lot of cutting oil, remove the tap from time to time to clean it and the hole for chips, re-oil and continue. I really HATE the way those taps twist just knowing what will happen if you continue on.............

Here are the cousins:

AK_Cousins.jpg

Top gun was converted by Vladtepes and purchased from Cage Fighter.

Bottom gun is what I just got done doing. Not sure if I will leave the scope on it or get another Red Dot.

I hope my conversion shoots as well as the one Vladtepes did, that one is perfect!

Glenn, what are the differences between the different types of 7.62x39's, or is that a loaded question? Maybe they have subtle differences. I figured they were like 1911's and built essentially the same. I guess not, huh.

Glenn, what are the differences between the different types of 7.62x39's, or is that a loaded question? Maybe they have subtle differences. I figured they were like 1911's and built essentially the same. I guess not, huh.

Pretty loaded. Its saying whats the difference between 1911s as you said.

Basically theres a list of questions that will guide you towards what is best suited to you.

What caliber?

Budget?

Planned mods?

Do you care at all about historical/military spec accuracy? If so, how much?

Do you plan on ever moving out of NJ? (This affects decisions like how you want your front end set up)

What overall are you looking to achieve?

From looking at your pics I take it you dont care about being "proper", the timbersmith stock sets do not have correct palm swells

Here are the cousins:

AK_Cousins.jpg

Top gun was converted by Vladtepes and purchased from Cage Fighter.

Bottom gun is what I just got done doing. Not sure if I will leave the scope on it or get another Red Dot.

I hope my conversion shoots as well as the one Vladtepes did, that one is perfect!

Take the optics off, please!

I really don't like the look of the scope on there. My Beretta CX4 has the sight you mentioned Glenn, and that sight works really well. I will get the Krebs stuff and toss the scope.

Ray Ray, when you're my age you will SEE why I need optics!

I'm not worried about keeping it looking like a "real" AK, I just want them to be fun and accurate to shoot.

PS: Both these guns were bought from Paul within a day of each other, only took me over a year to convert mine!

a nice non obtrusive (you dont notice until you shoulder!) sighting option is a krebs peep rear which replaces your rear leaf, and a smaller diameter front post. Really shrinks the groups and retains original look

Nice, is that the KREBS CUSTOM AK APERTURE SIGHT CATALOG NUMBER 15 ? If so will it work on Saiga and is it is easy to replace?

TIA

Not sure which catalog number, but its these http://www.midwayusa...ery=krebs+sight

They will work on the saigas and are easy to replace. Pick 800m or 1000m depending on what your rifle comes with, although it doesnt really matter. Its basically T1-T3 had 1000m and AKM-current has 800m, I believe. Not sure though.

Do yourself a favor and pick one of these up too (or any one of their other styles)

http://www.midwayusa...ter-steel-black

Part of the AKs ledgendary "inaccuracy" is due to 2 related things:

-Nobody knows how to shoot iron sights anymore (e.g. mall ninja)

-The people who know how to shoot irons struggle because the front post covers something rediculous like 10MOA, so you cant even see a small bullseye @ 100 yards.

So if you can shoot irons, shrink your front post and get a rear peep you should be golden :)

Get an adjustment tool while you are at it, you will need it if you dont have it already

Thanks Glenn. That’s from the manufacture’s site http://www.krebscust...ikovParts.shtml , again that would be a nice setup. I read the review on Midway for the front post replacement you suggested and it starts off by saying “if you have good eyes” so that may leave me out. Too bad they don’t have one with an illuminated tip, that would work for me. For example something *like* this that I picked up for one of my Mosins. http://www.gunandgam...t-opinions.html

I have a few Saiga's and only my is 308 scoped. I have no intention of scoping the others. As Ray says above scopes just don’t look good on this style rifle and M4BGRINGO is also correct if sight is an issue, so both are correct.Right now on a good day 75 yard is about it for me with Thompson 15 to 200 yard targets with ramp sights.

This is going to sound naïve but after 50 who cares, LOL. I don’t know if I have 800m or 1000m. I’m thinking the way to tell is the length, I would have to verify before purchasing. I did buy the Tapco adjustment tool for my 7.62 front sights. My first 223 was perfect right out of the box and I have a second 223 that I haven’t even tried yet so that's the one I’d like to outfit with the sight upgrade. And if it works out, perhaps then do the others. Thanks for the tips, I’m definitely going to look into the upgrade

a nice non obtrusive (you dont notice until you shoulder!) sighting option is a krebs peep rear which replaces your rear leaf, and a smaller diameter front post. Really shrinks the groups and retains original look

OK, installed Krebs rear sight and just ordered the .052 Inch Diameter you recommended. I think I'll be OK with the .052, I did notice they even make a .034 but I don't think that will do it for me. The .052 should be fine and if not I'll paint it. I followed this method to do the exchange, He says bolt but I used a one inch long 6/32 and it worked perfectly. Thanks again for the recommendation

EDIT: 8 May. I now have both the front and rear sight upgrades in places, Now after seeing it I should be fine with the .052 Inch diameter front post.

20 May- The Krebs pep sight just didn’t do it for me, I gave it a try yesterday. Last night I put the original sights back on, it was worth a try…