Sign in to follow this  
jvheitz

Saiga 7.62 project

Got my delivery from CSS today. Still waiting for the bullet guide and axis pin retainer. Thanks to Alec for the gas tube.

Took everything out and got started. A few frustrations...reinstalling the spring for the slide catch sucked. Also, I did not realize that the tapco hammer would be too wide. Tried getting the pin back in and no matter how hard i tried it would not seat properly. Took a measurement of it, and it was significantly larger than the stock hammer. So after searching around for "g2 hammer too wide", I found that I needed to grind it down some. Once I finished screwing around with these 2 issues (it was literally one right after the other), it was smooth sailing.

I have the original spring to hold the axis pins down, so this uses one of the original rivets that I had to punch out. Once I get the axis pin retainer from CSS this will be replaced, and I will plug up the holes.

The G2 trigger feels SOOOOOO much better than the stock trigger.

No bullet guide install until that comes in as well.

Overall, this was pretty easy and did not take very long at all.

Heres some pics:

post-1941-0-00859400-1324600784_thumb.jpg

post-1941-0-86732800-1324600805_thumb.jpg

looks good ! glad the gas tube worked out for you

check out http://mtnarmory.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=0e03u3tdoiaq05qdsqdvk2unu5 for some metal mags pinned for 15 rounds

i bought about 6 20 round mags pinned to 15 from them that work great, they arent on the website right now, but if you call them they should be able to send you some.

How many of you that have done the 7.62 conversion already had the cut outs on the bottom of the rifle once they took the trigger guard off or had to manually cut the holes out? I've been reading these forums for a few days now and have got it in my brain that I MUST BUILD AN AK. The only problem is how to keep my wife from knowing, she already wasn't happy when I built my AR. She just doesn't understand that its a disease and I have no control over it, lol.

How many of you that have done the 7.62 conversion already had the cut outs on the bottom of the rifle once they took the trigger guard off or had to manually cut the holes out? I've been reading these forums for a few days now and have got it in my brain that I MUST BUILD AN AK. The only problem is how to keep my wife from knowing, she already wasn't happy when I built my AR. She just doesn't understand that its a disease and I have no control over it, lol.

Most have the cuts every one I have had hands on had cut outs

Most have the cuts every one I have had hands on had cut outs

Thanks. Thats what I figured but I have read about some people having to cut them out. Its not a big deal I guess I'll just have to wait until I get mine and take it apart to see.

Hey, figured I would post an update..

Finally got the bullet guide and retaining plate last week. Also, changed the furniture to the dark brown timbersmith..

Bullet guide was actually pretty easy, everything came in the kit, except for a tap handle, used my own - I highly recommend a handle for it. Cant see how you would tap the hole without using a handle.

Used a hand file to file down the mag catch.

Thanks Alec for the tip on mags, gave Mike a call and got a bunch of pinned 20 round mags.

Thanks all around for the advice, this project turned out to be much easier than I expected.

Final product:

post-1941-0-34113700-1326485615_thumb.jpg

post-1941-0-98171500-1326485619_thumb.jpg

I finally have my rifle (thanks to Chris at BTS)! Stripped it down last night, looked everything over, and watched some more youtube conversion videos. Winslow is almost 2 hours from me, so I went online to CSS. First looked through their conversion kits. Did not find anything with the wooden stock/grip/etc. listed there, so I guess I am purchasing everything separately. I plan on installing the bullet guide. Watched a few vids, this seems quite simple really. (not in stock, have to wait until 12/21) Also, I guess since I am putting the tapco wood (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-946/TIMBERSMITH-TAPCO-AK47-WOOD/Detail?sfs=76ccc77e) I will need to: 1. Move the trigger guard 2. Change the gas tube (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-405/AK47-Saiga-gas-tube/Detail?sfs=76ccc77e) 3. Add Handguard retaining lower bracket (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Hand-guard/Detail?sfs=76ccc77e) Trigger: 1. Replace the trigger (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-119/SAIGA-AK-TAPCO-FCG/Detail?sfs=76ccc77e) 2. Install axis pin retaining plate (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-126/AK47-TAPCO-SAIGA-AXIS/Detail?sfs=7dbd461c) 3. Disconnector spring (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-166/Tapco-Saiga-Rifle-12/Detail?sfs=52f5da9f) unfortunately a lot of the parts are not in stock at CSS (gas tube, axis pin retaining plate, bullet guide). Am I forgetting something? Also, I am not sure on moving the trigger guard, cant I just replace it with something like this (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-365/Saiga-Trigger-Guard-DIY/Detail?sfs=2b4bd147)? Thanks for all your help!

So, I spent some time looking through your list of parts James.

Do I need to do the bullet guide? I have a bunch of magazines I use on both guns, don't want to have different mags for both guns. If the bullet guide doesn't affect the mags I am currently using then I will do it now, otherwise I won't.

I really don't like the bolt hold open lever next to the trigger guard. I was thinking of this: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-271/Krebs-Saiga-Ak47-Safety/Detail

Has anyone tried an extended mag release? I see several type on CSS, don't know if one if better than another, or if it's worth doing.

I don't see the plugs listed seperately anywhere James. Give me a part number and I will add it to my order which I hope to place during the week. I am getting all the parts you listed above, plus some I am adding.

Anything else I need or should look-at?

Do I need to do the bullet guide? I have a bunch of magazines I use on both guns, don't want to have different mags for both guns. If the bullet guide doesn't affect the mags I am currently using then I will do it now, otherwise I won't.

I really don't like the bolt hold open lever next to the trigger guard. I was thinking of this: http://store.carolin...7-Safety/Detail

Has anyone tried an extended mag release? I see several type on CSS, don't know if one if better than another, or if it's worth doing.

I don't see the plugs listed seperately anywhere James. Give me a part number and I will add it to my order which I hope to place during the week. I am getting all the parts you listed above, plus some I am adding.

AK mag needs bullet guide..

saiga mag will still work..

but you must go SLOW when you file mag catch..

I made one of those safeties with the bolt hold open cut on them.. with a dremel and about 10 minutes..

just cut slot to hold bolt while open..

I really don't like the bolt hold open lever next to the trigger guard. I was thinking of this: http://store.carolin...7-Safety/Detail

Mike, i'll be bringing my saiga tomm. for the MLK day shoot if you want to take a closer look at it. I dont have the extended mag release or the bolt hold open, but personally I think the ergonomics of the rifle as is are pretty good, the mag release isnt so small that you are searching for it.

Yeah, I don't have any problems with either of my Saigas. Just want to make sure I get all the parts I need before I rip the spare apart.

Not sure what time I will make it over there, have a customer coming to the shop and it may take awhile.

I would love to put the same type of FCG in my Saiga-12 that my one converted Saiga 7.62 has (the one Anthony did).

Hey Mike,

I actually found the plugs sitting on a shelf - thanks..

Here is a complete listing of everything I ordered:

SKU: 7.62-ROUND-BGUID-SET BULLET GUIDE- ROUND TRUNNION 7.62X39 WITH DRILL AND TAP SET @ $18.00 = $18.00

SKU: RIFLEPLATE AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR THE SAIGA RIFLES/AK 47 @ $7.55 = $7.55

SKU: UPPER-AK-SPRING HANDGUARD AK47 UPPER TENSION SPRING @ $5.70 = $5.70

SKU: LOWER-AK-SPRING HANDGUARD AK47 LOWER TENSION SPRING @ $5.70 = $5.70

SKU: WOOD-BROWN/LAM STOCK SET AK-47, AK74 SAIGA RIFLE- BROWN LAMINATE @ $109.20 = $109.20

SKU: BRACKET-AK-BOLT ON HANDGUARD RETAINING LOWER BRACKET SAIGA 223, 5.45, 7.62 RIFLES @ $49.95 = $49.95

SKU: TGUARD-ROUNDED TRIGGER GUARD-BOLT ON "ROUNDED" @ $17.95 = $17.95

SKU: SINGLE HOOK TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA/AK-47 SINGLE HOOK G2 @ $29.69 = $29.69

SKU: DISCONNECT DISCONNECTOR SPRING FOR SAIGA/AK TRIGGER @ $1.00 = $1.00

SKU: WOOD-RUSSIAN-RED STOCK SET AK-47, AK74 SAIGA RIFLE- RUSSIAN RED @ $134.95 = $134.95

SKU: 6PLUGS TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS @ $1.00 = $1.00

SKU: GRIP-NUT GRIP AK/SAIGA GRIP NUT @ $4.99 = $4.99

Also picked up the gas tube from Alec, CSS SKU: GASTUBE @ 30.00 = $30.00

As you know, I changed the stock from russian red to brown laminate. I am keeping the red for a possible future conversion.

James, I was bored today so I ripped-apart my other Saiga to do the conversion. Everything went well except I have no clue what to do with the Axis Pin Retaining Plate and the Disconnector Spring.

I can move the hammer back, it latches into place, and then release it with the trigger. The Safety Lever also works correctly.

I did not put the BHO back in, I never used it except for when cleaning the gun.

James, I was bored today so I ripped-apart my other Saiga to do the conversion. Everything went well except I have no clue what to do with the Axis Pin Retaining Plate and the Disconnector Spring.

I can move the hammer back, it latches into place, and then release it with the trigger. The Safety Lever also works correctly.

I did not put the BHO back in, I never used it except for when cleaning the gun.

Mike, the retaining plate goes on the side and holds the 2 pins in place for the trigger group. see these pics

GEDC0342.jpg

more pics here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=411221

Ok, now I am stuck again.................

Can not get the piston/bolt back in place.

If I turn the piston upside down it slides all the way in. Turn it back to where it belongs the bottom of the piston assembly gets stuck on the top of the hammer. The hammer won't go down far enough to let it pass. If I release the hammer I can get it to slide further forward, until the piston assembly hits the hammer.

What am I doing wrong?

This is all with the firing pin assembly (or whatever it is called) not even in there.

One more thing, is the firing pin floating or spring loaded?

Ok, now I am stuck again.................

Can not get the piston/bolt back in place.

If I turn the piston upside down it slides all the way in. Turn it back to where it belongs the bottom of the piston assembly gets stuck on the top of the hammer. The hammer won't go down far enough to let it pass. If I release the hammer I can get it to slide further forward, until the piston assembly hits the hammer.

What am I doing wrong?

This is all with the firing pin assembly (or whatever it is called) not even in there.

One more thing, is the firing pin floating or spring loaded?

you just gotta play with it to get it back in.. less force more playing with it..

Less force, not in my nature.............

You should see my 2-piece upper hand gaurd.............

Tried to twist it into place, twisted it into 2 pieces.........

Had to sand a LOT off of the pieces to get it into place. Actually went where it belongs, extremely tight, can't even see where the wood is split.

Also had to file some off the end of the gas tube to get that to lock into place.

This gun reminds me of my race cars. Takes-up a lot of time and a pain in the a**. In the long run though it is a LOT of fun! :)

Found the problem. The hammer would not go down far enough to let the piston (or bolt carrier?) slide forwards because the screws that came with the new trigger gaurd were too long. Couldn't see it last night, but today I could see the slight marks left my the end of the screw on the bottom side of the hammer. Shortened the screw and now it goes together smoooooothly!

Thanks guys, hopefully when I load it and pull the trigger she still works! :)