Rob0115

Help Transfering a Gun out of State

I am selling a long gun to a NYS resident. I have a copy of the license from the FFL she wants it sent to, but what else do I need? A receipt that they received the gun? What transfers possession from me to that person or FFL?

Thanks,

Rob

Make a copy of the buyer's FFL ... if you ship USPS, some clerks demand to see the FFL. Also no markings on the outside of the package re: Firearms. Tape the package corners with strong shipping tape. Send the package certified - insured and put the USPS shipment tape in your firearms records with any emails of communication. They get special handling. Whatever way you ship it, send the buyer the tracking number. You sending the long arm to the buyer's FFL, the FFL will have to do a NICS check and fill out their log paperwork - which will include the seller's information

I would get a copy of the person's license and I would also keep a copy of the ffl info.

Package the long gun up, tape the package like fort knox. Then I would get a receipt of delivery to ups. I believe you can ship ground with a long gun. I would also get a signature confirmation and also insure the gun.

You just pack it up and send it out. Theres only two things required by law. First you must receive and check the FFL. Then you must send a copy of your drivers license along with the gun for the FFLs A&D book. I usually rubber band the copy onto the stock so it doesnt get confused with packing paper and chucked out.

Insurance, signature required, delivery confirmation are all GOOD IDEAS but NOT required by law.

I beg to differ.

A nonlicensee does not NEED a copy of the FFL, as stated in one of the ATF Newsletters. Only other dealers need it per law. This is antiquated and will change in the future.

A nonlicensee does not NEED to send a copy of his DL, although some FFLs will throw a fit. :icon_e_wink:

My suggestions? Do as glennp states above. The cheapest and best way is to use Priority Mail w/Insurance. No signature or delivery confirmation is needed. This is a money making racket for the USPS. With insurance, the receiver must sign for it anyway.

I have a copy of the FFL that was faxed to me. If I am sending it to the FFL why would I need the buyers FID or whatever it is in NYS? Can long guns be sent USPS? I thought only UPS? I am asuming with FFL copy I should just keep that with the rest of my records, take the payment and ship the gun well packed an insured.

Let me know if I am missing anything. I rambled so I'll make this a list:

1. I recieved a copy of the FFL

2. I packed the gun with tons of tape on the box and plenty of packing material inside so it won't be damaged

3. Take my payment in MO funds

4. Ship it insured

thanks,

Rob