alec.mc

STI Trojan 9mm vs S&W 1911 Pro Series 9mm

For those who own, have shot, or are knowledgeable on the subject, Looking to hear pros/cons - goods/bads on the STI Trojan and the Smith and Wesson 1911 Pro Series, both in the 9mm variety.

I'll go ahead and say first hand that I have not held either in my hand, mainly because it's hard to find the STI or the S&W Pro in a gun shop.

I'll also note that I cannot even find a S&W Pro in-stock anywhere ( online and price check forum ), I need to wait until the 23rd of December to pick up my next handgun due to one gun a month, but regardless- I dont think a healthy inventory will be around by then.

Main use for the gun will be for competition, Mainly Steel , and maybe dabble into IDPA and the likes, But having an all around decent shooter in the safe wouldn't hurt.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3040000-1095448367

519-Trojan%209x19%205%22.jpg

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2309

178017_large.jpg

Normally i like STI's but for the money you spend on the S&W pro, you do get some upgrades over the STI. Namely SS finish, USEFUL front strap checkering, added magwell and a factory trigger job. If you can get the Smith for the amount listed in Buds LEO pricing structure, thats a no brainer (if its available of course)! A quick glance on Davidsons shows it closer to $1300!

About the only things the STI has over the Smith is the undercut trigger which isn't necessarily a tangible advantage for every shooter, the adjustable rear sight and FO front sight. Thier bluing isn't as nice as some old school Colt bluing and the chainlink front stippling is slippery and worthless. For the "features" the Trojan has over the Spartan, i prefer the Spartan since some of the differences between them aren't actually advantageous.

Trojan is a fine gun, it just does not have the fit and finish of the pro series, esp the pro series in 9. Then there is the looks, Trojan is blued, pro series is stainless.

You can shoot mine if you want. never had an issue with the pro series.

I love my SW1911 - it's not a Pro model, but's it's been very reliable and accurate. Does anyone know if the SW1911 Pro in 9mm has the firing pin safety? Also, what about the extractor? Does the 9mm carry over the larger extractor from the PC 1911 .45's and the one that's used in the newer E-series 1911's from S&W?

Prior to getting my SW1911, I did look at the STI Trojan as well and read mostly excellent reviews.

Hard choice and in the end I picked what I could get my hands on.

Both of those guns were on my short list ( in .45acp) just recently and I can give you my POV. I was able to lay hands on a Smith Pro .45 out in Pa last month. It was very nice, but I noticed some slop in the frame fit, very little. It was heavier then expected due to SS frame and slide. It had the darn Smith and Wesson firing pin safety and was about $1400. I passed as I was not looking to spend THAT much money. The STI has been so well reviewed and many feel that they are the best value under 1K in 1911s. I could not find one anywhere to finger #$%^ so I was flying blind. I contacted a dealer in Ohio that had the Trojan with Ambi controls and novak night sites. It was just over 1k. I held off because I wanted to hold one or shoot one first.

In the end I went with neither. I was able to go shooting with a work friend and his SIG STX 1911. I really liked that gun and it was brutally accurate. The uppe level SIGS have an ambi safety, magwells and novak night sites, but a 80s fps which I dont like, but it can be worked with. Now the STX is too pretty for me, so I ended up shopping the Scorpion against the TacOps and went with the TACOPS because it was less fancy looking, curved trigger and 4 mags (versus 2 for the scoprion) for only $30 more. As soon as my PPP shows I pick it up.

Yeah Ray! Ya really need the firing block that Kimber has...JUNK!!

Yeah, I don't like that either. But I'm going simply on looks. Although the Wilson Combat 9mm 1911 is nice too.

Looks are all that counts! :icon_e_confused:

I know it's not the best reason to buy a gun, but looks do matter to me.

I have no doubt the Trojan is a great 1911, but I simply could never get

over the huge TROJAN and Horse Logo on the side of the slide. I do not

like the look of external extractors, and the S&W has a HUMONGOUS one.

The warning printed on the side doesn't help either.

Do they affect performance? Definitely not. But I think part of shooting

is the intrinsic value and the non-tangible experiences in handling your

weapon of choice.

1911s in particular I feel I scrutinize even more in the looks department

since you know they come in so many varieties. I went with my Kimber because

I liked the way it appeared to me best. It had all the features I wanted,

some functional, some not so functional, but all added value to my shooting

experience.

I wish I wasn't so picky. I could spend a couple hundred bucks on a High Point

and call it a day.

I know it's not the best reason to buy a gun, but looks do matter to me.

I have no doubt the Trojan is a great 1911, but I simply could never get

over the huge TROJAN and Horse Logo on the side of the slide. I do not

like the look of external extractors, and the S&W has a HUMONGOUS one.

The warning printed on the side doesn't help either.

Do they affect performance? Definitely not. But I think part of shooting

is the intrinsic value and the non-tangible experiences in handling your

weapon of choice.

1911s in particular I feel I scrutinize even more in the looks department

since you know they come in so many varieties. I went with my Kimber because

I liked the way it appeared to me best. It had all the features I wanted,

some functional, some not so functional, but all added value to my shooting

experience.

I wish I wasn't so picky. I could spend a couple hundred bucks on a High Point

and call it a day.

Personally, I would go with the S&W... I haven't shot an STI, but aesthetically speaking, I don't like them. I don't like all that big lettering carved into the slide and etc. The S&W are much nicer looking and also shoot great and are very reliable. I have an S&W E-Series 1911 and love it. Over 1000 rounds and not a single hiccup. I have also shot a couple of other S&W 1911's, including Glennp's S&W Pro Series .45acp... and they all were extremely nice to shoot. Some people get picky over the external extractor... I don't see what the big deal is. It works great and S&W has a great track record with their 1911's and their customer service. Oh, and almost forgot... I looooooove the look of the Pro Series 9mm... very sexy pistol.

Not alot of love for the STI trojan here! Still contemplating between the two, I know I can have a STI in hand the day my permit is ready, Cant get a hold of the SW1911.

Anybody know of a shop / dealer that even has the SW1911 pro series 9mm in stock?

I have no experience with S&W 1911s but do own several STIs. They are very, very nice.

One is the STI Sentry 9mm which is essentially a Trojan with a forged frame and a few bells and whistles. The Trojan has a cast frame.

The slide to frame fit on my Sentry is very, very tight, smooth and easy to shoot. Impressed with the fit and finish. Far more accurate than I am.

Also have a Ranger 9mm which is essentailly a Trojan in Commander size - full size fram but 4.15" slide as compared to the Trojan's 5.0" slide. Same positive apply to it as mentioned for the Sentry.

FWIW, my last STI is a lawman45 ACP.