Ronky

Carbine/Pistol Tactical Class ... Here in NJ!!

Brand new to the forums ... Just reaching out to those who may have an interest.

I've spoken to some out-of-state contacts who presently own/operate a multi-disciplinary tactical training company. Good group of guys who all earned their stripes at Robin Sage. I’ve had the good fortune to take a class with them, and I got a lot out of it.

We got to talking and they expressed interest in conducting a carbine/pistol course up this way. They have the capabilities to run both restricted and open-enrollment courses (depending on student qualifications and interest, this could translate to garden-variety instruction or more specialized tactical concepts).

I just wanted to throw this out to the community to gauge interest. Feel free to ask questions … And do let me know if this is something you’d like to participate in (both CIV and LE welcome).

Cheers,

Ronky

P.S. - See you in Vegas

I enjoy taking classes, I try to take one a year as money allows. I'm willing to read what you have to post and definately willing to consider taking more classes. If you looking to gauge interest, I'm interested in the possibility. I'm not yet interested enough to commit or to pay.

I enjoy taking classes, I try to take one a year as money allows. I'm willing to read what you have to post and definately willing to consider taking more classes. If you looking to gauge interest, I'm interested in the possibility. I'm not yet interested enough to commit or to pay.

We're certainly not at the pay stage. :yes: I just wanted to see if there were folks on here interested in formal training. If there are, I'd be more than happy to help in getting something going. Company info is below. Again, no details on the when, where, how ... Just want to get some very rough (possible) head count (to speak with them about).

Telluric Group

http://www.telluricgroup.com/

It might be easier to garner interest by specifically stating who would be conducting the training instead of making vague comments about their previous military affiliations.

Please see my post. I provided a link to the company's web site. Great group of guys. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers.

I'd make sure that they are aware of the restrictions here in the PRNJ:

No mags >15

No folding collapsible stocks

No bayonet lugs

The above assumes the use of AR's or equivalent. This will be like going to another foreign country for them. :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry to pi$$ in your cornflakes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'd make sure that they are aware of the restrictions here in the PRNJ:

No mags >15

No folding collapsible stocks

No bayonet lugs

The above assumes the use of AR's or equivalent. This will be like going to another foreign country for them. :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry to pi$$ in your cornflakes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Consider the breakfast cereal yellowed! I believe they're aware of our "protective measures." After all, our restrictive gun laws makes us one of the safest and most desirable places to live in the country!

If this even gets off the ground, I'm sure we'll have a session and go over all such details. I'm trying to rack my brain right now and remember the specifics (exemptions) listed in 2C. I have to give the statute another read. Pretty sure there are some LE/MIL exemptions from some of the regs.

But yeah, can't see these guys running down to the 'smith to have their comps welded on. Sheesh. And I wonder why I'm always having to jump on a plane and fly elsewhere for classes.

I also find it odd that this Telluric company requires a CCW permit be shown to be eligible to attend a class.

I can assure you no CCW will be required. In NJ that would translate to zero student enrollment (of course I'm exaggerating but I'm not far off). Depending on the course provided, at most it would be a LE letter, confirming no criminal history. But again, that would depend on the subject matter.

I can assure you no CCW will be required. In NJ that would translate to zero student enrollment (of course I'm exaggerating but I'm not far off). Depending on the course provided, at most it would be a LE letter, confirming no criminal history. But again, that would depend on the subject matter.

Given the fact that so many PD's take 3+ months to issue permits, I feel like a letter from your PD would be virtually impossible to get in a timely fashion. I really don't understand the need for a background check in order to take a class. I find it pretty absurd, actually.

I also find it odd that this Telluric company requires a CCW permit be shown to be eligible to attend a class.

If you think about it, it would be sorta comical to consider teaching a class in a state that, essentially never, hands out CCW permits ... Only to then make a valid CCW permit a class requirement. That said, rest assured it won't be an issue.

Lol, so basically I'd have to get my PD to sign a permission slip just to take a class? No thanks, it takes long enough just to get a FID and pistol permits.

• Like 1

Given the fact that so many PD's take 3+ months to issue permits, I feel like a letter from your PD would be virtually impossible to get in a timely fashion. I really don't understand the need for a background check in order to take a class. I find it pretty absurd, actually.

I don't think it's possible to obtain a letter from a local PD. I believe any local PD would refer you to the State Police (Identification & Information Technology Section / State Bureau of Identification (SBI)). They handle "private party" requests. The turnaround time is about a few weeks, at least that's what it was when they processed my papers.

I hear ya about the pain it is having to jump through hoops having to take a class. After asking similar questions, it was explained to me there are different rules applicable to SOCOM members (via the State Department), as compared to, let's say, your basic infantry veteran. The Operators themselves don't make the rules. It's much more of a State Department matter.

Lol, so basically I'd have to get my PD to sign a permission slip just to take a class? No thanks, it takes long enough just to get a FID and pistol permits.

Check out my other response. Unless you have a buddy in the Department (like a really close buddy who doesn't care about getting fired), you can't turn to your local PD for crim checks. For the private citizen, this is all handled by the State Police.

This is all an academic debate however. As I mentioned, the requirements would likely result from the type of instruction offered. I'm not saying you'll need a letter. Whatever could be reasonably taught in NJ, in all likelihood, wouldn't require a crazy list of pre-reqs. My guess is you'd have to show proof of prior course work, for safety purposes.

I attended a class this summer that had no vetting process (another outfit). It was basically pay and attend. I **** you not, I was flagged at least three (3) times in two days. Not to mention, the weapons retention skills I saw from some of the other students literally made me wonder who was going to take the first round.

Not all rules are bad rules. Maybe you'll change your mind when you experience your first accidental discharge, at the hands of the newbie standing next to you. Believe me, it's nice knowing those in attendance have run their guns before.

Realistically, if they accept a CCW they would probably accept an FPID, since, generally speaking, the purpose of requiring the CCW is to show that the person taking the class is a law abiding citizen. While not necessarily common, it's not UNcommon to see similar requirements at other schools.

x2, theres quite a few forum sponsers on here that already provide classes without having to jump through all kinda of hoops to attend

That's the beauty of choice. If ease is of the highest priority to you, you may want to stick with NRA-type certified instructors ... And that's totally cool. Again, I was just trying to gauge interest. Definitely not tying to pitch you either way. I don't have a horse in the race. Just thought it would be novel to have that level of cadre actually come to NJ, as opposed to having to travel to them.

Realistically, if they accept a CCW they would probably accept an FPID, since, generally speaking, the purpose of requiring the CCW is to show that the person taking the class is a law abiding citizen. While not necessarily common, it's not UNcommon to see similar requirements at other schools.

You know what man ... I think you just jarred my memory! You got me thinking ... (Nothing to do with the present discussion but) I'm almost positive I provided my NJ FPID to VTAC a few years ago for a course. So yeah, your thinking is spot on. They do conduct bkrd and prints for the FPID. I almost forgot how much of a joy that process was. But yeah, that makes sense ...

I see no bio's on their webpage......

Another hurdle will be a willing host.....

Exactly. And in all honesty, venue is much more of a concern than anything. Not only will it determine if it's a go or not, but it also will determine the limits and concepts that can be gone over. Speaking of which, any forum members have a 5.56-rated shoot house on 10 acres, where we can mock-up and run aerial and vehicle assaults ... or run hostage rescue scenarios in the shoot house (with flash bangs, night vision and IR lasers)? Just kidding.

Exactly. And in all honesty, venue is much more of a concern than anything. Not only will it determine if it's a go or not, but it also will determine the limits and concepts that can be gone over. Speaking of which, any forum members have a 5.56-rated shoot house on 10 acres, where we can mock-up and run aerial and vehicle assaults ... or run hostage rescue scenarios in the shoot house (with flash bangs, night vision and IR lasers)? Just kidding.

What LE agencies has this group trained in New Jersey thus far? References?

PS - I like your avatar.

I don't know about NJ-specific LE training, if any. I'd have to run it by Don or Kyle. Much of their focus is on SWAT and other entry teams in low and no-light scenarios (hence their affiliation with TNVC). I'm sure they could provide me with some references from the various LE agencies they've worked with. Don't know if you're interested in MIL units as well. I do know they do a lot of work with professional door-kickers.

Glad you like the photo. I'm a fan of yours. It continues to creep me out every time I see that pic. Gacy was a FREAK!!

I would be interested in a NV class.

However, as I said in your other thread, good luck finding a host facility in NJ.

I had to travel for my class but it was great. Even if NJ turns out to be a no-go, there are options not too far away (PA for instance). They do night shoots, as I understand it. With the right questions asked, it can happen.

As for home state training, are there any groups, within particular ranges, that have tactical shoot "meet ups"? I don't mean competitions or anything like that. I'm thinking much more casual. Regular monthly or so meets to discuss and shoot new drills and practice ... Things of that nature.