DTtuner

.22 Magnum Try-out request

Hello,

I'm looking at .22magnum revolvers for my mother.

She is 5'4", small framed, over 55 years old, and has some arthritis in her hands.

In addition she is somewhat afraid of guns, but wants one for self defence.

Does anyone here own a .22 Magnum revolver, and can share their experience?

Also, would you be willing to let me fire a few rounds through it one of these days?

You can try-out my brand-new 9mm Glock19 Gen4 in exchange :)

Thanks.

You firing just any .22 mag revolver isn't going to tell you much. As far as SD/HD revovers chambered in that caliber, the lightweight S&W J-frame fills the bill. Gives you seven rounds - as opposed to five rounds in the same gun in .38.

You should first find someone close-by with a J-frame and see if your mother can manipulate the cylinder release and is capable of pulling the trigger in DA or SA mode (preferrably both).

I think recoil will be negligible to the point it will be a non-factor - even for someone with arthritic hands with a lightweight revolver. Both Speer (Gold Dot) and Hornady (Critical Defense) now make viable SD/HD rounds in this caliber. While I am certainly a proponent of "bigger is better", any gun is preferrable to no gun. When there are physical limitations that have to be adapted to, I think the .22 mag can be a great solution.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You firing just any .22 mag revolver isn't going to tell you much. As far as SD/HD revovers chambered in that caliber, the lightweight S&W J-frame fills the bill. Gives you seven rounds - as opposed to five rounds in the same gun in .38.

You should first find someone close-by with a J-frame and see if your mother can manipulate the cylinder release and is capable of pulling the trigger in DA or SA mode (preferrably both).

I think recoil will be negligible to the point it will be a non-factor - even for someone with arthritic hands with a lightweight revolver. Both Speer (Gold Dot) and Hornady (Critical Defense) now make viable SD/HD rounds in this caliber. While I am certainly a proponent of "bigger is better", any gun is preferrable to no gun. When there are physical limitations that have to be adapted to, I think the .22 mag can be a great solution.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the input Bob.

If she could handle it, I'd recommend a .357 to my mother. But that ain't hapnin'.

Taurus makes the 941, which some people praise (gunblast.com).

I'll see what I can find in the local shops.

you could get her one of those NAA mini revolvers. I'm actually looking at the black widow myself. it's just so cool!

I think thats plenty enough penetration for a non handgun specific ammunition from a 1" barrel.

from the data i understand the critical defense or gold dot would leave that same 1" barrel going 250+fps faster then the maxi-mags used in this video

the black widow :

blackwidowb.jpg

I wouldn't advise a short barrei 22 mag as a SD gun. When you get down to a 4-6" barrel you only gain 100 maybe 150 fps and have to deal with substantial muzzle blast. Muzzle blast usually bothers people more than recoil. If you use a hot 22 load you will get almost 22 mag velocities without the muzzle blast. Ammo for the 22 mag also costs much more than 22 LR.

I wouldn't recommend one of those NAA revolvers either. I have one and it is hard to hit with and an unexperienced shooter will find it near impossible. There is also the single action to deal with. If you cock it without firing you have the issue of being very careful to not drop the hammer on an unfired round. Hard enough to do at the range but very dangerous if your heart is pumping hard in a tense situation. The NAA revolvers can be a deadly and a deep, deep concealment weapon but I think they are best as a novelty.

I'd look at a 4" 617 or maybe the Taurus 920 (same size). We aren't dealing with concealment issues and the K frame size guns have better actions and reliability than smaller revolvers.

I wouldn't advise a short barrei 22 mag as a SD gun. When you get down to a 4-6" barrel you only gain 100 maybe 150 fps and have to deal with substantial muzzle blast. Muzzle blast usually bothers people more than recoil. If you use a hot 22 load you will get almost 22 mag velocities without the muzzle blast. Ammo for the 22 mag also costs much more than 22 LR.

I wouldn't recommend one of those NAA revolvers either. I have one and it is hard to hit with and an unexperienced shooter will find it near impossible. There is also the single action to deal with. If you cock it without firing you have the issue of being very careful to not drop the hammer on an unfired round. Hard enough to do at the range but very dangerous if your heart is pumping hard in a tense situation. The NAA revolvers can be a deadly and a deep, deep concealment weapon but I think they are best as a novelty.

I'd look at a 4" 617 or maybe the Taurus 920 (same size). We aren't dealing with concealment issues and the K frame size guns have better actions and reliability than smaller revolvers.

Griz: You make some valid points, however, the new .22 mag SD ammo from both Speer and Hornady is formulated for short barrels and uses low-flash powder. I believe they have identified a viable niche market. Not to be sexist, but many woman find even medium frame size handguns to be too heavy, which means that they gravitate to things like airweight J-frames, without realizing the unintended consequence of increased recoil and muzzleblast, until they shoot it for the first (and in a lot of cases last) time.

I think that you'll agree that any gun is better than no gun at all. Now that we have manufacturers crafting low-flash SD ammo in a round that has negligible recoil, the light weight J-frame comes into its own, as a SD gun that just about anyone can handle. Given the OP's special circumstances, this combination meets their needs.

I wholeheartedly agree about the NAA mini's. They make a neat belt buckle - SD gun? Ummmmm....not so much.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

From my perspective, it sounds like you might be going in the wrong direction. A long, generally heavy, double action trigger pull is not going to be of help to someone with arthritis and diminished hand strength, particularly when it comes to placing rounds where they will do the most damage. The .22 Magnum ballistics are not very good by any stretch from a handgun either. You are probably much better served looking for either a carbine which will significantly improve ballistics, and being a bit larger, offer more for her to hang on to and a stock that is supported by her shoulder. Something like a Keltec Sub2000 in 9mm for example, would still be lightweight but offer superior ballistics and a shorter lighter trigger. If it must be a handgun, something with a shorter lighter single action trigger, like a Ruger MkII for example might be a good direction. Granted .22LR is not a stellar self defense cartridge either, but the action should be easier for her to manipulate, and the trigger should allow her to more accurate place rounds, which is what really stops the threat. She'll also get more rounds in the pistol, and faster reloads, if that becomes a factor. Berretta also makes the Model 86, which is a .380 with a tip up barrel, so it would alleviate the concern of her being able to cycle the action to load the chamber. It's a double single, so only the first shot would be double action versus all of them, and offers the added value of being magazine fed for loading/unloading/reloading. Inserting a magazine and one larger bullet should be much easier then trying to load a handful of small bullets into tiny holes in a cylinder for someone with arthritis. My cousin carried one of the 86s as a detective for years, and swore by it for accuracy and reliability. It could be thumb cocked to fire the first shot single action, as well.

Just some food for thought...

Not to be sexist, but many woman find even medium frame size handguns to be too heavy, which means that they gravitate to things like airweight J-frames, without realizing the unintended consequence of increased recoil and muzzleblast, until they shoot it for the first (and in a lot of cases last) time.

You are correct Bob but also remember J frame size rimfires use heavier springs to compensate for the lack of mass in the hammer and give reliable ignition. Pick a k frame which is heavier but gives you a better trigger vs a j frame which offers the opposite.

From my perspective, it sounds like you might be going in the wrong direction

I disagree Scout. The revolver is the best alternative for someone who "wants a gun around for SD" than a semi auto anything. The manual of arms is much easier for someone who is not accustomed to handling firearms on a regular basis.