MarkWVU02

First day at the range with the AR

went to the bullet hole yesterday morning to fire the AR for the first time. Brought my friend along (who lent me the tools) to fire it and check to see if it functioned correctly. We were under a serious time crunch as we had the annual trip with our families and friends to chop down Xmas trees. We bought

60 rounds (40 PMC and 20 Federal XM193) and some zombie targets and got to work.

I didn't even try to sight it in, we only had about 30 minutes. I was more concerned about the function. I put the first round right through the 10 (you can see it in the pic), I only loaded one at first to make sure there were no problems. The rest we just fired off hand. It does need to be sighted but it shot phenomenally. No issues whatsoever. sights weren't way off but prob need some time to get them dead on (I'll tackle that job next time at the range when I have more time).

I don't know if it was the midlength or not but this gun shot soft as hell. Casings were ejecting at 3 o'clock and I had no FTF or FTE's. Don't know if it was the brake but there was virtually no muzzle climb. this is definitely not a flash hider when you see the flash coming off it but I didn't mind it at all. I'm very impressed with the PSA trigger...it broke clean and reset was short. The Gunfighter charging handle is definitely a great upgrade as well. Guess the BCG was a non-issue as everything functioned smoothly. Here is a link to my build thread with pics of the worn BCG My AR build

It made my entire day being able to finally shoot it after working on it for quite some time. Really looking forward to getting more time behind the trigger. Can't wait to get it out to a range where I can shoot for some distance. I'm going to join Cherry Ridge in the spring. Need to start buying ammo in bulk as I can see this thing will love to eat ammo.

Here are some of the pics we all love to see...

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

• Like 1

Nice.. my BCM 14.5" Middy shoots pretty good also..

managed this off a bag with the 'irons' at 50.

50yards.jpg

and 50 yards standing and just banging away..

12" Torso width with 4" center section..

50yd.jpg

what type of 'buffer' are you running?? Regular Carbine, or H1, H2, ??

Nice shooting!

I believe it's a regular carbine buffer...it's whatever came with the PSA lower build kit. Can't wait to get more time at the range and really have at it with this gun. My BRD has been contagious too...I currently have 3 friends waiting on lowers because of my build (I also have another one on the way...thanks PSA $50 lower sales!)

What time/port were you in at the BH ?

I was there Sunday shortly after opening and an AR was being shot in the next booth by 2 guys.

I was conspicuous as I was the only one there shooting single handed with a flashlight in the other :keeporder:

What time/port were you in at the BH ?

I was there Sunday shortly after opening and an AR was being shot in the next booth by 2 guys.

I was conspicuous as I was the only one there shooting single handed with a flashlight in the other :keeporder:

We got there around 930 or so and were in port 5. I was the shorter guy with the yellow glasses and WVU hat on. We were right next to the guy with the Mosin. Wish I had more time but you know how family obligations go. Hoping to get back there sometime this week.

Nice man. Followed your other thread, glad everything worked out for you and it shot well. Working on my 1st AR build myself, cant wait to get this thing together...

I know how you feel. I worked on this thing for 6 months slowly ordering parts when I had some spare cash. It's such a satisfying feeling shooting something you built. Let us know how your build goes. If you lose a detent or detent spring let me know, I ordered two extra and didn't need them. I also have the castle nut wrench if you need to borrow that.

I know how you feel. I worked on this thing for 6 months slowly ordering parts when I had some spare cash. It's such a satisfying feeling shooting something you built. Let us know how your build goes. If you lose a detent or detent spring let me know, I ordered two extra and didn't need them. I also have the castle nut wrench if you need to borrow that.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I am also going to slowly get this thing together. Should be picking up the stripped lower sometime within the next week or 2 (PSA sent me an email last night saying it was shipped). The only thing that is expensive is the upper as I think I am better off buying it complete... Still doing research tho as I really know NOTHING about ARs. And i mean NOTHING.

I bought a complete upper as well. Check out PSA's rifle build kits. I don't think you can go wrong with them. They're uppers are impressive and inexpensive. Their LPK is gtg. I got the magpul upgrade and it's worth the extra scratch in my honest opinion.

I went with BCM for my upper because PSA was a new player in the game and their were zero reviews about them. Now that I've read more I'm definitely going to go PSA on my next build. The cost and quality are phenomenal.

Let me know if you need any help or advice. I'm fairly new to the AR but I did a whole lot of research on it before purchasing anything. Good luck with the build. My new lower shipped from PSA as well...sweet

The bcg looks fine it seems to be the same amount of wear...maybe a tiny bit more. It had zero trouble with either ammo.

I measured the rifle when I bought the case and it was a little over 35" long. Probably about 35.25 definitely less than 35.5.

The zombie targets were actually at the bullet hole. I bought some hornady zombie defense 9mm...just to have it haha. I find the zombie marketing hilarious. When I asked for targets she said she had the zombie ones so I had to jump on them. They had a zombie bin laden but I asked her to just give me whatever as I was in a rush. The funny thing is I kind of think the green one looks like our POTUS...is it just me?

I had the upper with the bayo lug shaved and brake attached...ordered the lower...built it...attached the stock...decided where I wanted it then pinned it...pinning it only took a few minutes...I was never in possession of a BCG so it was never a functioning gun until the build was complete...i may have interpreted the law wrong but it's finished now and jersey legal. You could probably build the lower first and decide where you want it before having the upper...it's kind of easy to tell with just the lower.

It's sad we have to jump through hoops to "fix" things that are legal right across the border in PA. At least drive-by bayonetings are down...

Did it myself...it's really easy...buy a small roll pin...i think i got 3/32...find where you want stock...drill,make sure you're going through the bottom part of the buffer tube (the squarish part that the stock adjust onand not the tube itself) and stock....tap in pin and drink beer you're finished

there are videos on youtube that show you how it's done. I shipped the upper to Paul at Arms and Ammo to do the lug and pin the brake, quality service finished quickly.

Nice looking AR. Is that Magpul furniture, I see? (Or at least some of it...)

Thanks! I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Yes, Magpul MOE furniture...stock, grip, and hand guard. Magpul PMag as well. My aunt is supposedly getting me a Primary Arms micro dot for Christmas so I'm going to add a Magpul rear MBUS as well. I think the Magpul stuff is a huge step up from the normal AR furniture. Plus it's American made and lightweight. It doesn't hurt that it makes the AR look so much better.

Nice, I think you'll like the PA micro dot, I just got one and so far I love it. I will say though make sure you get the one with the ADM qd mount, Im glad I did, its def worth the extra money.

Thanks for the advice...I'll see if she ordered it yet...I think I told her to get the primary arms qd mount with it

My buddy called me up because he was going to the Bullet Hole to pattern a 1978 Browning O/U Shotty he just picked up (what a sweet gun...super light). I brought along the AR and we put another 120 rounds through her. Absolutely flawless. He's a better shot then me (he had some sub 2" 10 shot groups) but we both put together some nice groups at full distance with the iron sights (the carry handle sight I have is crap getting magpul mbus soon). It seems to shoot the 5.56 a little better than the .223 Man i really love this rifle! Wish i could afford to shoot it as much as I want to.