BCeagle

Weapon lights that wont break the bank

The alarm went off at 1am last night and I went through the same process I always do. The good news is that I had my glasses on, gun out, had already checked the kids and was on the top of the stairs before I even realized I was doing it. The bad news is that I do not feel comfortable with holding a flashlight at all and everything I was taught to do when clearing a house is out the window unless I am in broad daylight. I am planning on a home defense course, but I figure a light might be a good investment so I can keep both hands on my pistol.

Any suggestions that dont run me the cost of a beretta.

Define "break the bank" please. For some people, breaking the bank is $50. For others, it's $300. I think that if you plan to protect yourself, and your family....cost shouldn't be the BIGGEST concern. However a good compromise between cost and quality seems to be the Streamlight TLR1, or TLR1s. You can find them for just under $100, they're bright, and more than reliable enough.

i have NEVER had a surefire, streamlight, or OE Glock light break on me.. have had batteries die.. but have NEVER experienced a mechanical failure..

and I am glad you shared your experience.. because people have this delusion that they are going to run around operating a hand held light with a gun in the other hand.. and with adrenaline pumping.. confusion.. etc.. good luck.. having a weapon mounted light will IMO greatly simplify the process.. good luck with your search..

Just remember that a weapon mounted light ISN'T a flashlight and IS a target indicator. If you aim the light at a friendly, you are pointing your muzzle at them, too. If you run around with the light continuously illuminated in a dark environment, the bad guys will see you before you see them, and if they came ready...see the target indicator comment.

i have NEVER had a surefire, streamlight, or OE Glock light break on me.. have had batteries die.. but have NEVER experienced a mechanical failure..

and I am glad you shared your experience.. because people have this delusion that they are going to run around operating a hand held light with a gun in the other hand.. and with adrenaline pumping.. confusion.. etc.. good luck.. having a weapon mounted light will IMO greatly simplify the process.. good luck with your search..

You are right, very disconcerting with the adrenaline pumping and to have the pistol not feel right on your hand because of the flashlight, it gave me too much to worry about besides the task at hand. Even with most of the lights on, there are dark corners to worry about at night.

I am going with the Streamlight, too many good reviews esp concerning reliability. My wife doesnt know it yet, but she just bought it for me for Christmas.

I have used surefire flashlights alot they have been thrown accross rooms, dropped from stairs or from fumbling, I swam with one and it always worked I have 3 surefire flashlights they are very expensive to some people, but very durable. I have bought a weapon mounted light that resembles the surefire version, but it isn't up to par. It outputs 250 lumen, but the bulb doesn't always turn on when the switch is moved the spring's contact is a tad short so yea cheap isn't always good I can make it work reliably, but why do the work yourself just buy an already reputable and proven light before anything and you only buy it once and thats it. Just remember $300 is alot of money for a light, but your only buying it once so if it lasts 10 years before you break it the light only cost you $30 a year so thats cheap.

get yourself to one of these :

http://njgunforums.c...-course-nov-20/

Proper training and considerations for no light situations are more than grabbing a light.

There are a number of different ways to hold a flashlight and gun together, one might feel better than another.

I will admit, at the range, you do feel a little conspicuous shooting at your port one handed with a flashlight but practice practice practice.

I had an earlier version of one of those (the flashlight bezel was slightly different, otherwise the construction is the same). Still have one on my CX4 storm, works fine. Tried one on my shotty, the battery door latch couldn't keep the battery door closed after firing 1-2 shots of 12ga buck.

You are right, very disconcerting with the adrenaline pumping and to have the pistol not feel right on your hand because of the flashlight, it gave me too much to worry about besides the task at hand. Even with most of the lights on, there are dark corners to worry about at night.

I am going with the Streamlight, too many good reviews esp concerning reliability. My wife doesnt know it yet, but she just bought it for me for Christmas.

that is an important point.. while I "shut the lights off at night" in my home.. I make it a point to not make it pitch black. as that would not really help anyone.. spend a lot of range time using it.. even if it is not "dark" try to go out at dusk.. again just to get an idea.. ideally take the class if you can... but definitely practice its use.. I can activate the light on my glock with support hand while keeping finger on or off trigger with firing hand.. as others pointed out.. don't forget.. it is not a flashlight per say.. and you dont want to be pointing it at family.. but that is where having a little light in your home at night comes into play..

good luck with it!

I carried the ITI M3X for years on my P220ST with no problems at all. Last year my department standardized the weapon mounted lights. We went with the Streamlight TLR1S. The LED Streamlight TLR1S is much brighter and will not break a filament like an incandescent. The only drawback to the TLR1S is that when it is mounted on a steel or alloy framed gun after repeated use it will mar the finish on the guns rails. Whatever light you buy go to the range and practice with it. Oh and buy the batteries online don't get ripped off buying them at a local store.

I really like the Streamlight/Insight Technologies M3. I have one on the house gun a Springfield XD 9 service and one on one of my off-duties glock 19. Never had a failure and never had a problem. I love them. If you are going to use a w/m/l practice with it, turning it on/off etc. Remember that you can identify your threat and still not point the weapon at them using the ambient light. Practice with the flashlight techniques also.

I just bought one of these for $70 for my Rem 870 - Fenix TK11

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

You can also get a remote switch for it

http://www.amazon.co...s01_i00_details

How are you mounting this to that scatter gun sir? just curious

anybody seen/used this: http://www.amazon.com/ProTec-Elite-HP190-High-Powered-Firearm/dp/B004BNROME/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

this will be my first light for my soon to be new baby: Walther PPQ. If not this then i'll probably just roll with everyone else and get the TLR-1...but I thought I'd throw this in the mix to see if anybody had even heard of it