woodentoe

A first gun .22?

Depending on how much you get into guns and shooting, OBRPC is the closes place to you and a darn nice place, 24/7 indoor range, and a nice outdoor range, in addition the club has many great shooting activities that get members as well as forum members together. I don't have the best schedule, but if you want to check out the club sometime and maybe check out a few guns I can guest you in.

I would love to take you up on that offer. I also have a bit of a difficult schedule. Heck, I've got three kids. PM me and maybe we can work something out. I'll buy the ammo (rather, I'll pay you for your ammo since I don't have my FID yet...lol)

Unquestionably, I would consider a Ruger 10/22 as my first rifle and spend the extra money (Or a Marlin 60, or 70PSS "Papoose"). If you are really not that comfortable with an automatic, perhaps someone here on the forum could let you try one and familiarize yourself with one. Although I prefer the aesthetics of a wood stock, my preference would be for a stainless model with a synthetic stock. If you don't want that, then I would look at a Savage Mark II rimfire bolt-action with the Accu-Trigger on it or one of the other guns suggested in the thread above. After that, I would get a defensive handgun in 9mm. But, based on what you have said, next, I would probably get either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 pump action shotgun in 12 gauge (but 20 gauge would be much less recoil and acceptable for most things including home defense). Beyond that, I would get as others on the forum have suggested, a 22 handgun of some kind. I would consider one of the following: A Ruger Mark II or III semi-automatic handgun, a double-action revolver such as a Ruger SP101 (you may want to get a longer grip for more purchase) or a Smith and Wesson 617 or even a Taurus 990/992. A revolver is a good way to learn to shoot and get trigger control and probably easier to load at the range and easier to clean up because all the spent shells will be in one place.

For your defensive gun in 9mm, there are many good ones out there. And, your decision should be based on what feels good in your hands and with what you can shoot well. I would consider any one of the following: Glock 19, S&W M&P 9, Springfield Armory XD9, Ruger SR9, Beretta PX4, 92FS/92A1, but there are others as well. The best way to figure that out would be to shoot as many possible as you can before buying.

A .357 revolver would also be a nice thing to have around for home defense.

And, don't overlook quality used guns. You might have wanted to or might still be able to ask them if you can get an additional pistol permit to get both the defensive and 22 handguns.

If you are really not that comfortable with an automatic...

It's not that I"m not comfortable with an automatic. Rather, I'm viewing it as a bolt, lever or pump action rifle is simpler in its function and therefore will give me a stronger knowledge base in the operation of the action of cycling a round. Again, maybe I'm overthinking it a lot. If drawn out to it's extreme, I could insist upon a break action single shot.

This has been very educational. I've gotten varying advice both here and on newjerseyhunter.com

It's not that I"m not comfortable with an automatic. Rather, I'm viewing it as a bolt, lever or pump action rifle is simpler in its function and therefore will give me a stronger knowledge base in the operation of the action of cycling a round. Again, maybe I'm overthinking it a lot. If drawn out to it's extreme, I could insist upon a break action single shot.

This has been very educational. I've gotten varying advice both here and on newjerseyhunter.com

I half agree with you. I think the bolt is not simpler but it will give more knowledge of cycling. My .22 rifle is a AR15 look alike. I love it. I love shooting .22. Just picked up a .22 pistol. $20 worth of ammo and I could shoot for hours. For my rifle, I load a magazine, pull charging handle, shoot. Eject magazine and load another one. Can't get any simpler than that.

Being new something I learned that I didn't expect was that with a scope on a .22 you spend a lot of time learning about bullet drop and flight curves and MOA.

Being in Woodbridge, SCFGPA in Bridgewater is very close as well. I am a bit of a rimfire nut and have a ton of them. I also work odd hours and enjoy teaching newbies so I'd be happy to introduce you to a couple options. Shoot me a PM with when you'd be available and I'll gladly take you shooting.

• Like 1

my first gun was a remington 597. now many years later and many guns later, i still have it and its still a blast to shoot. it is semi auto but it served me very well for my first gun. they are really accurate right out of the box. can never go wrong with a 10/22 either

Savage also makes a decent bolt action .22 if you prefer to NOT get a semi-automatic. I believe they go for $175 brand new...

I got a Savage bolt action .22 as my first gun a year and a half ago. Definitely a fun (and cheap) gun to shoot.

I think I paid like $300 for mine. Damn, I'm wondering if I overpaid now.

My step dad has a Ruger and likes it. Marlins are Marlins. I've never heard anything bad about them.

Woodentoe,

You have a LOT of time to consider your purchase. When I applied for my permit in 2004 it took one year to receive the approval. I forgot that I had even applied for a permit and was startled when the state police called me.

A .22 caliber rifle and handgun are good choices for first weapons. I’ve owned my H&R .22 since 1972, and I enjoy firing today as I did as a 10 year old.

But only you can decide what feels best in your hands. Go check out some ranges that are close to you. Establishing a relationship at a range is a great first step. From there you can observe what others are shooting. You can also test fire weapons. Ultimately one will speak to you. If you’re lucky, many will.

Enjoy the wait.

Woodentoe,

You have a LOT of time to consider your purchase. When I applied for my permit in 2004 it took one year to receive the approval. I forgot that I had even applied for a permit and was startled when the state police called me.

A .22 caliber rifle and handgun are good choices for first weapons. I’ve owned my H&R .22 since 1972, and I enjoy firing today as I did as a 10 year old.

But only you can decide what feels best in your hands. Go check out some ranges that are close to you. Establishing a relationship at a range is a great first step. From there you can observe what others are shooting. You can also test fire weapons. Ultimately one will speak to you. If you’re lucky, many will.

Enjoy the wait.

Actually by law, they only have 90 days to give you a response. many police departments have been getting sued for taking longer. if it has been longer than 90 days you can take action

Six weeks. Man, I got screwed with :wild:

I'll be going back to the NJSP barracks in a few weeks to drop off an STS-033 for an additional hand gun. Hopefully I get a "normal" turn around.

Woodentow, the Ruger Mark III is a cool choice. Best of luck and enjoy.