Sign in to follow this  
MarkWVU02

Buying A Lower From A Friend

Good question....especially since ATF considers a Lower as an "Other" rather than a handgun or Long Gun on the 4473. INAL, but I would Assume that you would just both fill out a Certificate of Elligibility, as you would for any other long gun. I personally would add an endorsement to the COE stating that the purchaser would not attemt to make a Pistol out of it...but that's just Me.

I believe that since it is an "other" it has to go through an FFL - regardless of whether or not there is a stock on it or not.

Paul will probably chime in with the correct info.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NJ defines handgun.. and they define long gun..

a lower IS a firearm.. so if that firearm has a stock and is intended to be fired from the shoulder then it should be a long gun because NJ specifically defines both and a "lower with a stock" or "a firearm with a stock" is not designed to fired with one hand.. thus not a handgun by NJ law.... also it is not like you can build a NJ legal AR pistol anyway..

unless there is some specific NJ law regarding lowers I am not aware of..

Handgun" means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm originally designed or manufactured to be fired by the use of

a single hand.

"Rifle" means any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and using the energy of the explosive in a fixed

metallic cartridge to fire a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Well it's going to be built into a long gun regardless...not too interested in AR pistols. It's one of my best friends so there's really no worries about what's going to happen once I have possession. I built one and got the itch to do another...maybe try doing something different. I actually inspired him and another friend to build their own. I guess we'll both do COE's unless someone else chimes in that tells me otherwise.

Fine fine, here is what you do.

If you are concerned. Slap on a stock, or an upper to the stripped lower. Buy it from your buddy, then if he wants to buy the upper from you, he can do that.

I dont believe there are any issues with lowers in NJ. the issue is with ATF transfers, out of state. You can't buy a stripped lower face to face out of state in PA, because it is not a complete firearm. It is an ATF issue, not a NJ issue.

Sorry for the misinformation. Just dawned on me that I was basing my answer on an interstate purchase of a complete lower with A2 stock. At the time I thought I'd just be able to purchase at the dealer and take it home. I was surprised to learn that it had to be delivered through an FFL in my resident state. Mis-applied that experience.

Adios,

Pizza Bob