Bob B

Tip Up Or Tip Down

I've come to prefer knives that have a pocket clip that puts the knife in a tip up position. I find it much easier to open with one hand, which is a big benefit because it lets you keep using your non-dominant hand. But, I've also noticed that most folding knives that have pocket clips are tip down, or so it seems to me. Anyone else notice this? I was looking for a nice custom folding knife and I'm having a heck of a time finding one that is tip up. Seems like anything that has a handle made of something nice, it's tip down. ...or is there a trick to opening a tip down knife with one hand without having to flip it around in your hand.

My preference is tip up. Generally speaking tho, the trick with either carry method is thumb placement. With a little bit of practice either up or down is workable. That said, most decent knives allow you to switch the clip for tip up or tip down.

Regarding custom folders that offer tip up, look for custom Emerson's - they're almost always configured for tip up, especially if they have the "wave" feature. Strider's are also almost always tip up.

Some examples:

http://www.ebosshoss...tom-cqc-10-1715

http://www.ebosshoss...-wdamascus-1712

http://www.arizonacu...ex.php?id=22348

http://www.theknifec...sp?item_id=1693

Just some random examples that google turned up.

ETA: and yes, custom knives can be RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

I have been using a ghetto waved Benchmade Griptillian (tip up) for 5 or 6 years now. In my opinion it gives me the best compromise between in fight weapon access, daily utility, and compliance with NJ laws.

Here is an article Chris Fry of MDTS wrote a while back about carry knives http://www.mdtstrain...20Selection.pdf which touches upon the tip up/down issue.

If you ever want to test tip up/down, I have a Benchmade Griptillian trainer which can be set up either way, and I am happy to get together with you for some light force on force testing of which way is easier to access under stress or in fight.

I will tell you in advance that a centerline mounted fixed blade wins over any folder.

Always had it tip down. I like grasping at the hinge between thumb and forefinger, pulling up to my palm and opening with my thumb. A tip up knife seem like there is an extra step to get the handle situated for opening. The first move in opening is grasping as I said above and a quick rotating pivot of the wrist as as the kife is uncliped, putting the handle in my palm. I should also say that on my knife the blade opens to the front when tip down in my pocket.

But I guess it depends on how you want it to be in your hand when open. I open it with the blade out from the forefinger side of the hand, if I wanted it on the pinky side I would have to flip it.

Here is an article Chris Fry of MDTS wrote a while back about carry knives http://www.mdtstrain...20Selection.pdf which touches upon the tip up/down issue.

Good article. It confirms my thinking about tip up vs. tip down.

Always had it tip down. I like grasping at the hinge between thumb and forefinger, pulling up to my palm and opening with my thumb. A tip up knife seem like there is an extra step to get the handle situated for opening. The first move in opening is grasping as I said above and a quick rotating pivot of the wrist as as the kife is uncliped, putting the handle in my palm. I should also say that on my knife the blade opens to the front when tip down in my pocket.

But I guess it depends on how you want it to be in your hand when open. I open it with the blade out from the forefinger side of the hand, if I wanted it on the pinky side I would have to flip it.

That's part of what I was looking for - a technique for removing and opening a tip down knife. Your method makes sense. I tried it and it works, although for me, tip up brings the knife out in the palm of my hand with my thumb on the thumb stud. Tip down, using your method, I have to adjust my grip after pulling it out.

That's part of what I was looking for - a technique for removing and opening a tip down knife. Your method makes sense. I tried it and it works, although for me, tip up brings the knife out in the palm of my hand with my thumb on the thumb stud. Tip down, using your method, I have to adjust my grip after pulling it out.

I have my knife fully in my pants pocket and clipped on the pocket edge. I am guesing you have yours on your belt?

Tip down....but does depend on the knife.....i get a better/more dexterous grip on the knife when I can get my thumb deep on the scales and the other fingers on the clip prior to deployment...to me it is better than just finger tip control as is common when deploying from a tip up carry...

Ymmv

I've come to prefer knives that have a pocket clip that puts the knife in a tip up position. I find it much easier to open with one hand, which is a big benefit because it lets you keep using your non-dominant hand. But, I've also noticed that most folding knives that have pocket clips are tip down, or so it seems to me. Anyone else notice this? I was looking for a nice custom folding knife and I'm having a heck of a time finding one that is tip up. Seems like anything that has a handle made of something nice, it's tip down. ...or is there a trick to opening a tip down knife with one hand without having to flip it around in your hand.

If/when I carry a folder that's larger than my Swiss Army Executive, it's my Benchmade Mini-Griptillion, which carries in your pocket with a "tip-up" configuration, which I prefer. I can get it from my pocket and opened easily with one hand.