mrlew

Fid 3 Month Plus Wait. What To Do?

My 19 year old son has been waiting over 3 months now for his FID. Not sure what to do. We live in Bernardsville, small town, don't want to get on the "bad" side of the police. As he is of age I can't intervene for him. Lately when he calls and inquires they tell him "it's in process but we're busy with real crime so it's going to take a while".

Any suggestions?

Demanding your rights should not put you on the bad side of the police. First call the State Police Firearms Unit and see if they have received your son's paperwork yet. Odds are that they haven't, and that the delay is on your local PD end. Next, speak with the Police Officer in charge of firearms permits in Bernardsville and let him know that three months is more time than should be needed and that other towns in the area manage to do it in the 30 days proscribed by law. If he is unreceptive, schedule a meeting with the mayor. Let him know that the three month wait is unacceptable. If he/she is not receptive, tell them that you plan to file a report of non-compliance of state law with the NJ Attorney General's office, and will pursue the matter with the state police. The key is having someone to escalate to, and having the local official know that someone above them may be applying pressure to them and create an avoidable hassle for them.

• Like 3

I am going to be honest.. With all the cut backs and whatnot staffing is not what it used to be.. Guys have retired and not been replaced.. And in a place with what looks like less then 20 guys in the entire department I don't find it hard to believe that they are falling behind.. I know in my department we had 3 or 4 guys working in the back on stuff like fid cards and permits among other things.. Now there is 1 guy and he not only is in charge of that but also involved with field training.. so if he is lucky he gets 1 day per week where he might get to spend 3 or 4 hours (if lucky) processing the fid cards and whatnot.. And mind you this is a department of 100+.. so with a place with around 20 guys I am going to guess there is 1 guy doing the processing and he is probably involved in other fields.. Granted it sucks to have to wait but sometimes you have some understanding.. PD's are making cuts and like I said have guys retiring without replacements.. I would do as the above states and see if any of his paperwork has been received at the State Police.. If not I would call the PD back and tell them you called the State Police and saw that the paperwork wasn't received and go from there.. I know its your right and all but you don't want to give the guys a hard time.. Especially in a small town like that..

Bernardsville doesn't have "real" crime.

Follow the chain of command and get it done. It's the law.

Don't forget to ask if the same leeway can be given when you have a ticket to pay, you know, putting it off for "real" bills and all.

Good luck.

C

Bernardsville doesn't have "real" crime.

Follow the chain of command and get it done. It's the law.

Don't forget to ask if the same leeway can be given when you have a ticket to pay, you know, putting it off for "real" bills and all.

Good luck.

C

:rolleyes:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/03/source_says_bernardsville_woma.html

Report says Bernardsville woman drowned 4-year-old daughter, then killed self

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/bernardsville_man_accused_of_t.html

Bernardsville man accused of trying to sell Uzi assault rifle to undercover officer

That took all of 30 seconds to find. When you have cutbacks, Admin duties fall behind.

Demanding your rights should not put you on the bad side of the police. First call the State Police Firearms Unit and see if they have received your son's paperwork yet. Odds are that they haven't, and that the delay is on your local PD end. Next, speak with the Police Officer in charge of firearms permits in Bernardsville and let him know that three months is more time than should be needed and that other towns in the area manage to do it in the 30 days proscribed by law. If he is unreceptive, schedule a meeting with the mayor. Let him know that the three month wait is unacceptable. If he/she is not receptive, tell them that you plan to file a report of non-compliance of state law with the NJ Attorney General's office, and will pursue the matter with the state police. The key is having someone to escalate to, and having the local official know that someone above them may be applying pressure to them and create an avoidable hassle for them.

I think this should be copied and pasted into a sticky post. Title it, What to do when your PD is taking forever.

Whilst I can see some admin stuff getting a little bit behind, the whole FPID/P2P thing has been a responsibility of PDs in NJ since 1966-ish. Whoever you spoke to at BPD that gave you such a flip answer, is not making themselves or their agency any friends among the voters in their town. I don't expect to be bowed and scraped to when I show u or call my PD about some admin matter, such as P2P, but I am always polite and respectful, and expect the same. Generally, if one is going to the trouble of obtaining firearms legally in NJ, they are not likely to be someone the PD will meet at a DV call, shoplifting, or selling heroin in town. You deserve a straight answer, ask the questions, such as, are my reference letters back, did Morpho send the fingerprints, what are you missing,etc. Call & talk to the LT/CPT/Chief, officer in charge, whoever. As far as being overburdened because of fewer people & more work, I sympathize, I am in the same predicament, as are probably many others.

Edit--and I will say that Jackson PD was always helpful and polite and responsive when I called, even if it was the same story for weeks in a row.

The new NJ2AS guidance is to call or email all three of your representatives one at a time. Ask each one to intervene. When one agrees to call the Chief on your behalf, call the other two representatives to keep them informed. If everyone does this, it will build a "memory" of problems with the legislature and they will be more likely to vote yes for a bill correcting the problem if and when it comes up for a vote. It may also help us get sponsors and co-sponsors for new bills. You are lucky - you are in District 16, so your legislators are all republicans.

Senator

Christopher Bateman

36 East Main St., Somerville, NJ 08876

Phone: (908) 526-3600

Assemblyman

Jack M. Ciattarelli

1 East High St., Somerville, NJ 08876

Phone: (908) 252-0800

Assemblywoman

Denise M. Coyle

100 Market Place, 25 Mountainview Blvd., Suite 208, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Phone: (908) 604-2372

• Like 2

Good idea, I would hope the PDs would just go ahead & tell the NJ legiidiots that it IS a burden, and in light of recent cutbacks, they are unable to keep up. The whole paper process is just unbelievable in 2011, get with the program, NJ.

Bob ,is there actually a written piece of legislation in the pipeline to fix this? If so what's the number?

The new NJ2AS guidance is to call or email all three of your representatives one at a time. Ask each one to intervene. When one agrees to call the Chief on your behalf, call the other two representatives to keep them informed. If everyone does this, it will build a "memory" of problems with the legislature and they will be more likely to vote yes for a bill correcting the problem if and when it comes up for a vote. It may also help us get sponsors and co-sponsors for new bills. You are lucky - you are in District 16, so your legislators are all republicans.

Seems like the entire FID / PPP thing is a waste of time for local law enforcement. If you don't have a local PD you simply go to the nearest State Police Barracks. Well, why can't we ALL do that? Or why can't we simply get the forms from our local PD (if we don't have internet access to the forms) and then we send send them right to the SP?

Seems like the entire FID / PPP thing is a waste of time for local law enforcement. If you don't have a local PD you simply go to the nearest State Police Barracks. Well, why can't we ALL do that? Or why can't we simply get the forms from our local PD (if we don't have internet access to the forms) and then we send send them right to the SP?

From everything I have read it actually takes the SP longer to come thru with the permits and/or FID cards than it does most local PD's

Good idea, I would hope the PDs would just go ahead & tell the NJ legiidiots that it IS a burden, and in light of recent cutbacks, they are unable to keep up. The whole paper process is just unbelievable in 2011, get with the program, NJ.

Bob ,is there actually a written piece of legislation in the pipeline to fix this? If so what's the number?

A1398/S1584 would mandate that the NICS check be the exclusive method for determining whether or not an applicant is qualified and reduces the time allowed from 30 days to 10 days.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills/A1500/1398_I1.PDF

I agree.. something needs to be done.. I feel bad for the guy that is in charge of this.. I understand them going through all this the first time but every single time you want a permit you have to submit everything ALL over again and basically do the process again.. It is just a pain in the a@@... I think after the primary submission any future permits should just be a phone call and approval/denial and thats it.. I feel bad for all the trees we are wasting lol...

Just out of curiosity,Is New Jersey alone in this type of stall tactic?. I know NY is impossible unless you're connected but are there other states where this type of licensing circus is common?

What's up Mike, we would all like to have a PD like yours that gets them out in a timely manner, and as Brian said, all the people I have seen post about going directly through the SP have had horror stories about the amount of time it takes for the process or to even get an appointment to start the process.

I say NICS is good enough at the time of sale, end of story.

Just out of curiosity,Is New Jersey alone in this type of stall tactic?. I know NY is impossible unless you're connected but are there other states where this type of licensing circus is common?

As far as stalling for purchase, Massachusetts can be very delayed.

NY is not impossible. NYC is nearly impossible. In New York State, most residents can get a pistol license, sorta like a NJ pistol permit(i.e. restricted to home and target shooting, but in NJ, it's for purchase only). There are different types of licenses in NY. Unrestricted carry is the hardest to get but totally possible to obtain in many counties. The further west you go, the more likely it is to get an unrestricted carry license with the exception of Erie county/Buffalo, which can be difficult. Time wise, an unrestricted NY license can take 9 months but can also happen in 2. Very much like NJ and FPID/PP.

Most states don't have this assinine permitting system.

We dont have them anymore..i cant speak for any other departments.

:rolleyes:

http://www.nj.com/ne...ville_woma.html

Report says Bernardsville woman drowned 4-year-old daughter, then killed self

http://www.nj.com/ne...cused_of_t.html

Bernardsville man accused of trying to sell Uzi assault rifle to undercover officer

That took all of 30 seconds to find. When you have cutbacks, Admin duties fall behind.

One is a "crime of passion" the other is a fluke.

I don't consider people who kill their husband/wife/brother/kid/friend etc. to be real "crime". Those are simply disputes between family/friends that end violently. A man that murders the guy who is friggin his wife is no danger to me - he is simply after one person on a personal vendetta, if he walked past me on the street he wouldn't look at me twice.

Not sure if you ever been to Bernardsville but we're talking abotu a pretty little place where the Burger King and Rite Aid are dolled up to look like colonial buildings and the boroughs beside it are full of multi million dollar estates. The Audi dealer has several R8s out front.

Not exactly the kind of place that has much worries. If it weren't for the rich kids needing drugs from out of town shitheads, they'd have no crime at all.

One is a "crime of passion" the other is a fluke.

I don't consider people who kill their husband/wife/brother/kid/friend etc. to be real "crime". Those are simply disputes between family/friends that end violently. A man that murders the guy who is friggin his wife is no danger to me - he is simply after one person on a personal vendetta, if he walked past me on the street he wouldn't look at me twice.

Not sure if you ever been to Bernardsville but we're talking abotu a pretty little place where the Burger King and Rite Aid are dolled up to look like colonial buildings and the boroughs beside it are full of multi million dollar estates. The Audi dealer has several R8s out front.

Not exactly the kind of place that has much worries. If it weren't for the rich kids needing drugs from out of town shitheads, they'd have no crime at all.

Huh? So what is it, a mis-demeaner?

Thanks for all the advise. I think he is going to contact the State Police and see if they have even submitted the app. Then, as recommended by the NJ2AS, contact his reps. He did intern work for Leonard Lance when he was in high school so he's got an understanding of how those offices work.

The bummer here is that he's home from collage for while (long story) and we've always enjoyed pheasant hunting together. Before the end of this year's season he wanted to buy his own shotgun so he didn't have to hunt with "one of dad's".

And yeah, B'ville is a pretty peaceful little town. Although we might be on the evening news soon due to a totally unrelated incident that occurred at our local middle school and would definitely be considered "real crime".

Just to clarify I live on the poor, working mans, side of town.

Huh? So what is it, a mis-demeaner?

No, it's murder as any other murder in the eyes of the law.

But it's little threat to me, and society at large, when a man kills a cheating wife. It's a crime of passion. Unless I'm the pool boy that was sticking it to his wife, the cheating wife, this guy is not going to just come kill ME. Therefore it is not necessarily a threat to me.

Dare I say the same of gang violence. People often live in the burbs and worry about gangs in the city, oblivious to the fact that unless you're from a rival set, in the way of their drug dealings, with one of their girls, etc. you are of little concern to them and they aren't just gonna randomly head out of Newark to come kill some rich white folks in Summit. This is of course not to say that they pose a danger for example, to those who may work in the city, or a target during an initiation, but once again, outliers to the norm.

Simple as that, whenever you see a post on nj.com about Jamal shot up Tyrone in South Ward of Newark, chances are this is a gang/hood issue.

Happy ending to my story. Son got his FID on Friday, 12/30. He drove himself out to Cabela's this morning and purchased a used Remington 1100 all on his own. Said the process was rather straight forward and hassle free (unlike getting his FID). So after a little over 4 months of waiting for the FID he has purchased his first firearm and couldn't be happier. (and I couldn't be prouder!!)

Excellent news. What ended up getting them to move on it?

Officer Givacrap decided after his donut run to get to work on the stack of papers on his desk, and lo and behold, his FPID app. was at the top on that fateful morning. :lol:

I know in my department we had 3 or 4 guys working in the back on stuff like fid cards and permits among other things.. Now there is 1 guy and he not only is in charge of that but also involved with field training.. so if he is lucky he gets 1 day per week where he might get to spend 3 or 4 hours (if lucky) processing the fid cards and whatnot.. And mind you this is a department of 100+..

How many firearm apps are received in an average month? After reading some threads like these it seems it's probably a lot more than I had imagined.

Excellent news. What ended up getting them to move on it?

Well, after posting here I shared the advise you gave with my son. We decided that first he'd check with his references. Oddly they both said they had just, within a few days after my original post here, received the paper work from the PD and both had sent them back the next day. So we decided to relax, enjoy Christmas and devise a game plan in the New Year. Luckily we didn't have to.

Well, after posting here I shared the advise you gave with my son. We decided that first he'd check with his references. Oddly they both said they had just, within a few days after my original post here, received the paper work from the PD and both had sent them back the next day. So we decided to relax, enjoy Christmas and devise a game plan in the New Year. Luckily we didn't have to.

Does that mean that it took 3 months for them to to send out the reference letters?