hobobluz

State Establishes New Rules To Seal Pay Data/proceedure Manuals

In today's Asbury Park Press, there is an article dealing with the sealing of pay data for state troopers. Attorney General Dow has formalized rules that prohibit cerain info from being released to the public. One paragraph in the article states : "Other information to be kept secret includes background checks, PROCEDURE MANUALS, and annual evaluations."

I wonder if this is some how connected to the NJ2nd Amendment societies current court case, to get the "secret manual" released.

I don't even know if this statement cover the "SOP". If it does, we will never see this manual.

Dom

The politicians are something else.... I am far from being anti-cop (matter of fact, I'm still trying to get into LE), but I get the sense that the NJSP doesnt want civilians having guns because they feel they would lose their advantage. Like now the only big difference between officers and civilians is they have a gun and we don't so they'd lose that intimidation factor. I personally know some cops who feel this way but in more of in an arrogant way.

Its a shame they feel that way. As far as their pay, I think they start out at $60k and top out after 7 years at $110k. Plus they get a crapload of overtime so some are easily making over $150k.

I find it disturbing how the "AG" can just go ahead and make up any rules it wants and goes unchecked by the judiciary branch. And then enforce them to boot. Then citizens have to spend years and tons of money fighting something that should have never been able to be happen in the first place. What ever happened to the " system of checks and balances".

The politicians are something else.... I am far from being anti-cop (matter of fact, I'm still trying to get into LE), but I get the sense that the NJSP doesnt want civilians having guns because they feel they would lose their advantage. Like now the only big difference between officers and civilians is they have a gun and we don't so they'd lose that intimidation factor. I personally know some cops who feel this way but in more of in an arrogant way.

It does seem like that, doesn' t it?

Funny thing, I spend most of my time working in and around NYC, and I never get that feeling from the NYPD personnel. Maybe its because of their training or something, but they are on totally different level, completeley void of that NJ Arrogance. They really seem to be there to helpp you.

George Washington said it best.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

George Washington said it best.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Nice quote, I really like it.

I thought all civil servants payrolls were public knowledge. How else can we tell who is getting the payoffs? When I worked for NYC it came out in the Chief newspaper every year as part of the public record.

Payoffs?? LOL.. What does that have to do with State Police Overtime.. To be honest I don't feel that its necessary to show each individual Officer's overtime check.. Each persons salary.. ehh whatever.. But overtime shouldn't be included.. At least not individualized.. As a whole sure.. but to show who is making what in overtime is getting out of hand..

In today's Asbury Park Press, there is an article dealing with the sealing of pay data for state troopers. Attorney General Dow has formalized rules that prohibit cerain info from being released to the public. One paragraph in the article states : "Other information to be kept secret includes background checks, PROCEDURE MANUALS, and annual evaluations."

I wonder if this is some how connected to the NJ2nd Amendment societies current court case, to get the "secret manual" released.

I don't even know if this statement cover the "SOP". If it does, we will never see this manual.

Dom

Very good. This is the same rule that was used, in part, to deny our request to see the guide. It started out as Executive Order #47. I have attached it for your reference. The proposed rules in question (which have now been adopted and are part of the Administrative Code) are on page 7 on the right hand side, numbered 1 through 7. I was one of only 6 people that submitted comments objecting to the rules. Three of the 6 came from this forum. Sadly, it made no difference.

eocc47-1.pdf

Our appeal has a chance of invalidating the SOP rule.

Wait a minute. Is this the same Paula Dow who is being re- apointed to the NYNJ Port Authority so she can jump ugly all over that agency for their lack of transparency regarding the payroll there? Kind of defines hypocrosy dontcha think?

• Like 1

Downr@nge, "but I get the sense that the NJSP doesnt want civilians having guns because they feel they would lose their advantage." Your statement is true but for other reasons, One of the main reasons the SP does not want Non-SP (they were even against the federal law allowing retired LEO to carry in NJ) not to have the ability to get a concealed carry permit is so that we don't interfere with their post-trooper employment in other sections of state government. If you follow the political scene closely you can find retired troopers everywhere, Nowhere more prevalent than the passaic valley sewerage authority. Most of these jobs have the requirements specifically tailored to require a permit thus eliminating anyone from applying and ensuring a post-trooper job.