Twospot

Closet Gun Owners

So I am listening to the new GFH right now and Anthony and Sandy briefly talked about closet gun owners and how they hide their passion. Also mentioned was the rare sight of an NRA sticker on gun enthusiasts car.

I do kind of understand why people hide it. I am not yet a gun owner. However waiting for my FID I talk about it a lot and I get ridiculed by my family anytime I bring it up. Now I did not grow up in a family that handled guns. My parents are big time republicans but guns were one view I guess they don't go along with.

With that said, the lord only knows what whack jobs are out there that will key up your car for having an NRA sticker, or something pro gun related. Is there anyone out there that keeps it low key or gets crap from family and friends?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I agree with you, Twospot. My wife and I avoid most "conservative" displays because we just can't trust the reaction of all the "non-violent" libtards in this state. To make it worse, we both work in places that (at least in NJ) attract some of the most hard-line leftists.

However, I DO have SAF and NRA stickers on my car. I think the ones that will bring out the most rage are the "NObama" stickers, et al.

a) People are afraid of what they don't understand. Many people may change their attitude on guns after you take them to the range. This is my suggestion to try. Don't knock it till you try it!

b) There will always be the "I don't like guns" type of person. I respect their opinions (I have some in my family). What I don't respect is when they try to push their opinions and attitude as in "I don't like guns, so I don't think anyone should have them". That's when they get the argument on freedom, liberty, and 2A rights. If they don't like them, and they feel they never will, I ask them not to buy any and to leave us that do alone.

I don't really flaunt owning guns, but I'm also do not avoid talking about it. I tend to mix it into conversations when discussing hobbies and interests with new people that I meet. More often then not, people are interested to discuss it even if they don't own guns. If they shy away, I leave it alone.

• Like 1

This is a great point of discussion. I feel this is in part because most gun owners in NJ feel left out, alone, without a sense of community.

I remember way back when the forum first started and we got the t-shirts, I was really hesitant to wear it anywhere outside of the range, the gym, or the house. Right now, it is quite the opposite. Will wear it anywhere I can wear a black t-shirt fashionably. =P

Same thing for the car, proudly sporting a USPSA sticker in the rear quarter panel window. (I will never ever ever put a sticker on the bumper (ruins in the car)).

I think when gun owners realize they are not alone and there are hundreds of thousands of people just like them, they will grow a pair and not try to hide as they are ashamed.

I do not hide from ignorance, fear and educating ignorant people. I proudly display my nra sticker right on my car and my home security sign. I also try to tell everyone I know that nobama means I actually care...haha...

part of the problem is that the media has made gun owners feel abnormal. It's up to us to educate the misguided dolts of society

I am a NRA member I have the shirts,window stickers and all that,but I will not put anything on my truck,why attract attention to myself on the road to overzealous law enforcement.Who may pull me over just to check if i am transporting my guns correctly or anything else like that.

Even though I am a new gun owner, I'm 37 and proud to be a gun owner. I have always wanted to get into target shooting and gun collecting, but for years was way to busy with life to make time for this sport.

That being said, I am cautious as to who I talk to about my love for the guns being in my professional life most clients and co workers are on the "other side". I will however not hesitate to defend gun rights if the conversation comes up, and I will stand up for us poor NJ gun owners who have to deal with these overbearing laws and BS that we deal with because we live in NJ.

I don't broadcast my gun ownership (except for the car window stickers), but have discovered in conversation at work that there are more here than I thought. I've also taken a few newbies, and even antis, to the range and it always comes out positive.

On the other hand, there is a risk to being a conservative in such a leftist state. As was proven by the OWS dopes, it's the left that resorts to violence when they cannot articulate a clear reason for their viewpoints, not the right.

Being new to the hobby, I definitely need to develop a solid foundation of knowledge to educate others. That's exactly what I'd like to do. Jimbo brought up a good point as well, about attracting LEOs. Too many of then have hard ons to find someone to pull over. That will make them focus on you even harder as they are driving behind you I think. Its just a shame. Thanks for all the replies!

Being new to the hobby, I definitely need to develop a solid foundation of knowledge to educate others. That's exactly what I'd like to do. Jimbo brought up a good point as well, about attracting LEOs. Too many of then have hard ons to find someone to pull over. That will make them focus on you even harder as they are driving behind you I think. Its just a shame. Thanks for all the replies!

You are over thinking it. Unless you are driving a pimped out range over, on 22's, all blacked out, your NRA(insert any other gun owner sticker here) will not hurt you. I have had USPSA sticker on my bmw, and njgunforums stickers on the mazda, and have yet to be pulled over and given crap about it. (knock on wood).

Most LEO are awesome people, and many of them are gun owners, on here. I would venture to guess there are more gun friendly LEO out there, then non gun owners in NJ.

Don't do stupid shit, and pay attention to the voice of reason in your head, and you will likely stay out of trouble. Know the laws, ask questions.

While not a closet gun owner,I do not broadcast the fact that I own and shoot them either. No stickers,hats,or pointed conversations,but I'm that way with all my hobbies and interests unless asked. I find it easier when dealing with an increasingly unaware, judgmental and opinionated populace to simply fly under the radar and avoid their glare and uneducated barbs.

Years ago I had a heated exchange with a young lady about cruelty and overfishing when she noticed my cased speargun and now I make every attempt to avoid Idiots,hypocrites and charlatans in anything other that casual conversation.

You are over thinking it. Unless you are driving a pimped out range over, on 22's, all blacked out, your NRA(insert any other gun owner sticker here) will not hurt you. I have had USPSA sticker on my bmw, and njgunforums stickers on the mazda, and have yet to be pulled over and given crap about it. (knock on wood).

Most LEO are awesome people, and many of them are gun owners, on here. I would venture to guess there are more gun friendly LEO out there, then non gun owners in NJ.

Don't do stupid ****, and pay attention to the voice of reason in your head, and you will likely stay out of trouble. Know the laws, ask questions.

I just simply stated that the poster above made a point. It wasn't about whether or not I will do "stupid ****" or not listen to the voice of reason in my head. Unfortunately there are cops out there that will find any reason to pull you over. My initial post was about your stereotypical anti-gunner acting like an a$$ because he/she doesn't like what you advertise on your vehicle.

I'm not worried about other 'regular' people knowing about my hobby and pursuit of our rights... I just want to represent as small of a profile as possible to those who wish to restrict those rights... so that means no NRA stickers on the car, or other tactical paraphernalia lying about for an Officer Friendly to bug me about.

• Like 1

I definitely try not to broadcast the fact that I own guns in the public sphere, like on Facebook and Twitter, but I am a proud gun owner and I'm more than comfortable sharing and discussing that fact with anyone who's willing to discuss it. For example, when I buy guns, I refrain from posting pictures of them on Facebook, but I send texts/emails/etc. to people that already know that I'm a gun owner, and share my excitement about the hobby.

NRA sticker is proudly stuck to my rear windshield. In reality, it's too small for anyone to be able to read while you're driving, so it's more of a matter of personal pride for myself.

This is a great topic for discussion.

I'm not worried about other 'regular' people knowing about my hobby and pursuit of our rights... I just want to represent as small of a profile as possible to those who wish to restrict those rights... so that means no NRA stickers on the car, or other tactical paraphernalia lying about for an Officer Friendly to bug me about.

Agreed,I leave nothing visible in or on my car.While most LEOs are fine,conscientious folks, I don't want to be the focus of that one overzealous young Turk trying to Kojak his way to another stripe or commendation.

I have NRA stickers on my car. I have NRA and gun books and info in my shop's customer area. I encourage folks to inquire or remark as they see fit. I am certainly not afraid of being pulled over because of a NRA sticker. I have received many "thumbs up" from other driver's and zero negative response that I am aware of. Some of you folks need to grow a pair. (If the shoe fits, wear it!)

I have NRA stickers on my car. I have NRA and gun books and info in my shop's customer area. I encourage folks to inquire or remark as they see fit. I am certainly not afraid of being pulled over because of a NRA sticker. I have received many "thumbs up" from other driver's and zero negative response that I am aware of. Some of you folks need to grow a pair. (If the shoe fits, wear it!)

I have no desire to solicit approval from strangers by displaying stickers of any kind,and my "pair" likes to reside along with the rest of me at home ,not on the side of the road attempting to answer inane questions from a over entitled gentleman with a bad haircut.
  • Like 1

i dont advertise at home or car, i dont think thats such a great idea, it does take away the element of suprize from an intelligent bad guy.. i was an anti years ago, but since i have converted i have talked to others about gun ownership, gotten others to convert and helped with filling apps and stuff, i have converted 3 friends this past year... we should try convert at least one person a year...

I don't have any bumper stickers of any kind on my car. Its none of anyone's business my political ideas, activities, etc. Plus I have no need to put a "valuable firearms inside" alert to burglars driving by my home.

Any time a conversation comes up that I'm interested in I have no problem stating my opinions or beliefs.

Does that make me a closet gun owner?

......I will not put anything on my truck,why attract attention to myself on the road to overzealous law enforcement.Who may pull me over just to check........

About 20 years or so ago I decided to put an NRA sticker on my van. I had not been pulled over since my last traffic ticket in 1976. Within a year of putting the sticker on I was pulled over twice for no reason. Both times the officer inquired whether there were any weapons present and attempted to get consent to search, the second time very aggressively. I can only assume it was because of the sticker. I had no guns in the van but I adamantly declined consent on principle. Both incidents ended without consent and without a search. I removed the sticker and have not been pulled over since. At this stage of the game I choose not to invite trouble.

FWIW

YMMV

• Like 1

Have not hid the fact that I own firearms (don't necessarily broadcast either) those who are aware recoginize I take safety and responsibility seriously. When an opportunity arises I explain my reasons for ownership and often do not receive negative feedback. Do have an NRA sticker on my vehicle and to date have not seen reaction one way or another.

I have no desire to solicit approval from strangers by displaying stickers of any kind,and my "pair" likes to reside along with the rest of me at home ,not on the side of the road attempting to answer inane questions from a over entitled gentleman with a bad haircut.

My stickers are not to solicit approval. I don't give a **** what anyone thinks. There are four different stickers on my car. NRA membership, USMC and an American Flag in the rear quarter windows divided 2 on each side. Also, a "Protect our Borders" sticker covering a dent and small hole in my rear bumper.

The NRA, USMC and Flag are a matter of support and pride. The protect our borders sticker is an opinion.

• Like 1

My stickers are not to solicit approval. I don't give a **** what anyone thinks. There are four different stickers on my car. NRA membership, USMC and an American Flag in the rear quarter windows divided 2 on each side. Also, a "Protect our Borders" sticker covering a dent and small hole in my rear bumper.

The NRA, USMC and Flag are a matter of support and pride. The protect our borders sticker is an opinion.

Forgive me but just the fact that you have logged the "thumbs up" make it appear otherwise.