Lublin

My first muzzleloader!

I want to extend my NJ hunting season so I ordered a Wolf/CVA 209 muzzleloader in camo. For $270 shipped it came with a scope and case and the reviews are awesome so I went for it. I'll be picking it up from the Gander Mountain store in Middletown, NY on Thursday and hopefully sighting it in that night at Davis in Goshen.

Any recommendations for ammo and pyrodex?

67983303.jpg

I want a muzzleloader. They are so cool. I haven't seen any of my friends shooting them in the past several years. I see ones for $100-$150 in Walmart but I don't know enough to buy one. They are probably crap. I have a friend that is an expert but he would probably have me spend $800 on his suggestion.

I want a muzzleloader. They are so cool. I haven't seen any of my friends shooting them in the past several years. I see ones for $100-$150 in Walmart but I don't know enough to buy one. They are probably crap. I have a friend that is an expert but he would probably have me spend $800 on his suggestion.

It depends on what level of sophistication you prefer. If you want to stay traditional, say real black powder or (egaads!) Pyrodex, used in a flintlock or caplock with traditional iron sights or peep sights; these simple arms are fun to play around with to get your feet wet. Some folks never stray from them. The new school of thought is going with powder pellets, in-line ignitions with 209 primers, sabots pushing modern expanding bullets with flat trajectories out to 200 yds. and mounted with optics to range that far. That said, I see a lot of old traditional T/C Scouts Hawkens and Renegades up for sale on hunting forums. They are the perfect platform to try out and can be found in the $150-$250 range.

btw aren't decent like decent muzzle loaders around 5-600 bucks? they look fun

They can run that high, and even higher from custom makers. Someday I may head backwards in time and get a flintlock. There's something about the old time pieces that's intriguing to me. I know someone who has guns from a couple of these makers and he is a committed round-ball BP enthusiast.

http://www.thegunwor...Cat1Name=Custom

http://www.roystroh.com/index.html

Traditional kit guns -

http://www.longrifle...awkenhalf.shtml

Traditional kit guns -

http://www.flintlock.../pricesheet.pdf

It depends on what level of sophistication you prefer. If you want to stay traditional, say real black powder or (egaads!) Pyrodex, used in a flintlock or caplock with traditional iron sights or peep sights; these simple arms are fun to play around with to get your feet wet. Some folks never stray from them.

That's what I want. I like loading them up and blasting away. It's really fun. I'm not going to hunt with it.

Mipafox & anyone else that might be interested:

Glad to see someone have some interest is shooting real black powder like I do. Most of us at the Old Bridge Black Powder League use antique reproduction-styled rifles & pistols for all of our matches. So if you wanna see some real smoke being made by crack shots, come on out any 1st or 3rd Sunday and give it a try! Costs nothing to watch & ask questions. Range gate will be open as three leagues have matches scheduled--just be sure to park on the 100 yard range on the far right! We'll be on the 100 yard range starting at 9:00 am this Sunday! Don't be surprised if someone volunteers to let you shoot their gun to see what it's like! Or bring your own if you own 'em, and shoot all day for only $20.00! Pistol Match starts at 9:00 am and the Rifle Match will follow right after that.

I and several others use half-stock Hawken-style .50 or .54 caliber rifles with either a patched round ball OR a conical bullet. Amazing accuracy out of both projectiles. My Lyman Trade Rifle cuts playing cards in half! Would be glad to let you shoot my gun so you can see how much fun it is!

Since our normal Rifle Course of Fire is 7 shots at 50 yards and 13 shots at 100 yards, that pretty much eliminates all of the 209 shotgun-primer sabot-shooting crowd since the plastic sabots melt into the grooves of the rifles and make them extremely hard to re-load after 3 or 4 shots. Those in-lines are strictly meant for harvesting deer (or bigger), and don't hold-up well to a regular competition where you need to shoot at least 20 shots. This is something to consider if you actually want to do more with the rifle than caress it in a tree-stand, which is what I think you stated. So you NEED to hook-up with some of the state's best shots in this sport to learn what to buy before you throw any money away--just like you would go see a USPSA match to see the equipment used & demo'd.

So what say you and how can we help? :)

Dave

NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle

BUMP!

Anybody still alive here? mipafox, I know where you can get a whole lot of info & supplies to make an outfit, along with your choice of new or used rifles in all of the most popular calibers. So write back or PM me and we'll set up a PA trip to get you yer stuff!

Dave