johnp

Transporting rifle on motorcycle

Hey everyone this question has bugged me for awhile now. What is the proper legal protocol for transporting a rifle while riding a motorcycle? My forum search results only turned up transporting a handgun, easy put in one saddlebag, ammo in the other unloaded of course. But if I sling my rifle in it's bag over my shoulder, I forsee dumb scared civillans calling the police and LE pulling me over as soon as they see me. As of now whenever I want to go shooting, I gotta hope my buddy is up for it because I own 2 bikes and no truck. I shoot in PA, so about 1-1/2 hour drive I am bound to run across a few leos. The only thing I can really think of is to call the njsp and tell them I plan to be traveling yadda, yadda.

Anybody know if there is a 'proper' way to do this?

Guitar case or something similar. IF you have a hitch on the bike, you might take a look at the Harbor Freight Tag-Along Trailer, works great and you should be able to fit a bunch of rifles in it. Just watch your tongue weight, to light and they don't do well, just as they don't do well when real heavy, but I doubt guns will get the weight over 400 lbs.

That's a good idea, I need to get an incognito rifle case. Sounds like my best bet. I don't have a hitch.

PK90, the guy in this photo obviously doesn't give a F. But it just screams hey you pull me over I dare you.

IMO, IANAL,

Technically according to 2C:39-5 if someone has their FID card, you can posses unloaded rifles and shotguns without needing to do any of the special transport requirements outlined in 2C:39-6 g. rules (closed box, limited deviations, etc). So technically you could sling the rifle and drive around with it. Being this is NJ, you will be harassed, and they may try to charge you with some type of disturbing the peace type of thing.

That being said, a discrete bag or something would work slung around your back. Just be sure the rifle is unloaded. Depending on the gun, you may be able to break it down for a more compact package.

LWRC used to offer a Discreet Rifle Case that looks just like a soft guitar case, but was lined with Velcro and straps to carry a long gun. They aren't showing it on their site any longer, but there may be new old stock with some vendors.