TheWombat

Changing an ambi-safety to a single-sided safety on an EMP?

I'm looking to switch the ambi-safety on MrsWombat's EMP to a single-sided safety.

I've never done this before and am new to 1911s. Does anyone have experience on changing 1911 style safeties and how difficult is it? I'd probably use an Ed Brown safety however have read that you need to spend about an hour filing away on the safety? I was thinking of trying it, however another option would be to find a gunsmith.

Otherwise any recommendations on a gun-smith within 45 minutes of the Secaucus, NJ area?

thanks

TheWombat

Another question is: Will a standard 1911 thumb safety fit the EMP. IIRC, Springfield made a big deal about how this gun is a scaled down version of a 1911 - not just a chopped standard 1911. So, is the safety one of those scaled down parts?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I watched a video on 1911's and it didn't look hard at all to swap out. I think Bob's comment should be researched. A call to SA may help out and maybe you can get the part from them to guarentee it'll work.

I can answer that without a call to Springfield. I replaced the ambi safety on my EMP with a single side tactical Ed Brown safety. It has to be fitted, just like every thumb safety out there (there are no drop in thumb safeties for a reason), but the safety isn't scaled down. In fact, the only replaceable parts that are smaller are the magazine, the trigger, the plunger tube/spring, and I believe the firing pin and extractor, but I may be wrong on that.

Brownells has solid triggers in long and short versions for the EMP now. They are made by Harrison Design. I just put on in my gun yesterday, as I prefer a solid trigger to the vogue 3 hole design. Next up is a Wilson Combat round butt mainspring housing for it.

Another question is: Will a standard 1911 thumb safety fit the EMP. IIRC, Springfield made a big deal about how this gun is a scaled down version of a 1911 - not just a chopped standard 1911. So, is the safety one of those scaled down parts?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Officially, the "scaled down" portion of the gun is between the front strap and back strap of the grip. If the part exists in that area, it's likely a different size. The safeties, MSH, hammer, sear, disconnector, and even the slide stop are all the same as the big 1911s.

I can answer that without a call to Springfield. I replaced the ambi safety on my EMP with a single side tactical Ed Brown safety. It has to be fitted, just like every thumb safety out there (there are no drop in thumb safeties for a reason), but the safety isn't scaled down. In fact, the only replaceable parts that are smaller are the magazine, the trigger, the plunger tube/spring, and I believe the firing pin and extractor, but I may be wrong on that.

Brownells has solid triggers in long and short versions for the EMP now. They are made by Harrison Design. I just put on in my gun yesterday, as I prefer a solid trigger to the vogue 3 hole design. Next up is a Wilson Combat round butt mainspring housing for it.

did you fit it yourself or go to a smith for it?

Fitting a thumb safety isn't too hard. It is mostly a matter of patience, care with a file, and a basic knowledge of what it is doing in there. If that doesn't sound like you, don't do it. If that sounds aspirational, be prepared to buy a second safety.

did you fit it yourself or go to a smith for it?

Did my own. If you remove the grip safety before you start, it's a lot easier to see what needs to be taken off to get it to fit properly. I've done two thumb safeties on 1911's and one grip safety, and even though I was a little worried each time, they all went in without a hitch and are perfectly safe.

FYI, to check if a thumb safety is doing its job, here's the test. Take the unloaded (triple checked, right?) gun and c0ck the hammer. Put the safety on. Pull the trigger as hard as you can. (The next part requires a quiet room.) Let go of the trigger and pull back on the hammer. What you are listening very carefully for is a "click", or more specifically, a lack thereof. If the sear didn't move during your test, nothing will happen when you pull back on the hammer. If you hear a click, then you know the sear moved and is being re-engaged as you move the hammer. This is bad and means the safety has to be replaced.

It's not too hard to do that no a 1911. I've done that myself as well as doing a trigger job to improve the pull on my Les Baer. Just takes basic understanding and patience and the right tools (actually for the safety you really only need a file). The 1911 actually is easier to work on than Sigs.

I'm considering the Logman mags as I've seen them mentioned in another forum, however as it is MrsWombat's EMP she'll be the one deciding..

I personally prefer my PPS for a carry firearm as it is lighter and no need to worry about safeties, but MrsWombat likes the way the EMP looks! Now we just have to see if it can stand up to a GFH course without any jams/failures - the PPS shot over 600 flawless rounds last week at GFH Urban Pistol 3.

:-)

TheWombat

I posted 3 EMP magazines to Logman on Monday morning, I received a package in the post today (Friday) with the 3 modified magazines. 5 day turn around including shipping to/from CA is pretty amazing.

A+ for turnaround time (5 days including return shipping from NJ->CA)

A+ for quality of welding and finish of the magazine base

The only thing I could think of as a possible improvement could be to move the holes to see the number of rounds either just on the 'EMP' side of the magazine, or just on the back/rear of the magazine so they don't cover the 'MFG in Italy BY MecGar, For Springfield Armory'. Other than that very minor item the resulting modification looks like a true manufacturer product.

Overall am very pleased and won't hesitate to recommend.

MrsWombat took her EMP to RTSP to test the single sided safety last week and it worked well. Next week she'll be trying her modified magazines. A happy MrsWombat. She'll also be trying my PPS - I wonder which she will prefer! :maninlove:

thanks

TheWombat

Photos of EMP with single sided safety, original and modified magazines.

Original and Modified Magazines

DSC01182.jpg

EMP with Original Magazine

DSC01183.jpg

EMP with Modified Magazine

DSC01186.jpg

EMP with Modified Magazine and Milt Sparks Holster

DSC01190.jpg

TheWombat

Back from RTSP and while the EMP looks 'pretty' it's thrown a tantrum and won't consistently shoot Hollow Points. We've tried:

• Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P Short Barrel
  • Federal LE Tactical HST 124gr +P
  • Federal LE Tactical EFMJ 124gr +P
  • Winchester Ranger Talon 124gr +P HP
  • Black Hills 115gr +P
  • Corbon 125gr +P
  • Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P

Finding it just doesn't like to feed the HP rounds and we've tried enough different ones now to make it clear there's an issue. No issues with standard American Eagle FMJ.

We'll be contacting Springfield next week

:-(

TheWombat

Have you polished the feed ramp? Takes 10 min with a polishing compound like flitz and makes a world of difference.

I haven't - I'll take a look however I do expect a $1000 firearm designed for carry to work with Hollow Points without the need to polish etc.

TheWombat

I haven't - I'll take a look however I do expect a $1000 firearm designed for carry to work with Hollow Points without the need to polish etc.

TheWombat

I understand most people do. And most people just buy plastic because of the price.

I will say that when I was doin research before I bought my EMP .40 it seemed that they either ran flawless out of the box or had to be sent back. I saw your other thread and I'm glad that you are happy with their customer service. I haven't needed it yet but everything I great is that it is fantastic. Which its another reason I went with the EMP. They well make it right.