Sign in to follow this  
johnp

Learning the gunsmith trade as a career

Merry Christmas everyone!!! This seems like the proper place to post this.

Basically like the title says, I would like to learn gunsmithing and how to persue it as a career. I'm sure that alot of you guys do your own gunsmithing or have thought about doing it as well. I've always been mechanically inclined and enjoyed taking things apart and back together. From the reseach I've done I understand that I'll never be a rich gunsmith, but in my opinion happiness and self fulfillment trumps wealth anyday.

Anybody with knowledge in this field I would greatly appreciate any input that you have. Is it best to apprentice under a master gunsmith or go to one of those legitimate gunsmith schools?(Colorado trade, Pittsburg)

I think to have a successfull business you need the a major school. I am not going to be dropping my guns off somewhere to just a fudd, I want someone that has a schooled experience. For the past few months, I have been "apprenticing" under a fameous gunsmith and it's more of him teaching for my own use than doing others repairs. Now I have done work on other peoples guns, but they are just basic jobs nothing major. After seeing some of the big dollar guns I honestly would be afraid to work on them without proper schooling. I am talking 80-100k guns, not your normal Mossbergs or Remingtons. You have to realize that the customers guns no matter what they are are always worth more than your own. There is no saying "OOPS" when it comes to a customers guns. Are you willing to work on them without proper schooling?

I would think that you should first pursue at least an associates degree in business. Your business knowledge is going be just as and maybe more important than your gunsmithing skills. I would then pursue attending on of the well known schools like in CO or PA as a resident.

Then I would think it best to work for an established gunsmith as he will probably teach you more about it than the school did. Most schools of any kind teach you the basics to get you started in something and you really learn on the job. If you go into your own business you'll need a business plan before you start, captial (lathes, milling machines etc cost money), insurance, government licenses, etc etc. This is where your business education will be important.

I googled one source that gave me an average salary of 36K a year for a gunsmith and a range of 28-43K. Many gunsmiths make less so unless you develope some special niche you are never going to get rich at this. You may have to relocate which to get a job in the field or open a business so you need to keep that in mind.

there are things you can learn by correspondence. I don't think gunsmithing is one of them unless you have the machine shop skills already.

Lol, I checked the Foley-Belsaw site - $79 for the course. Yea, that sounds like in-depth proper training, lol.

I had operated my own business for 10 years and have worked management as well as customer support. And have a significant amount in tech repair and support (electronics & computers). From the business side I think I could handle it fine. I'm at a point where I'm deciding where to go career-wise. I'm looking at a possible career change and have been considering different options. I'll probably stay in my current field but that doesn't keep me from looking.