Sign in to follow this  
Rob0115

Considering reloading

I am considering reloading for a variety of reason, cost, quality and to learn more about the sport. I saw the RCBS rockchucker supreme kit on sale at Cabelas for 269. I am sure it is a fairly basic starter platform but I want to make sure it is good quality for the money as a beginning reloader.

Thoughts?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit/728426.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drockchucker%2Bsupreme%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%25253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rockchucker+supreme&WTz_l=Header%253BSearch-All+Products

IMHO it is one of the best presses money can buy. Now it's not a speedy press, it's single stage but starting out with a single stage is the way to go and you will learn to load the right way methodically.

Now as the price for the set-up I don't know. But additionally you will need dies of your choice and a shell holder.

I would go with a lee single stage kit, or hornady. I actually have one I could sell, that I bought but is an extra. Pm me.

If you can pick-up a used press like Maks has with accessories You probably can save some bucks and end up with more accessories to boot!

Back... to a pc. so I can respond.

For single stage, Lee offers a great kit in the breech lock challenger kit.

Alternatively, just might as well upgrade to a progressive. Whole heartedly subscribe to the whole buy once, cry once theory.

Rcbs make a good press, I have a few, If you are loading for rifle I reccomend starting with a single stage and take your time. Even if you upgrade to a progressive there are always reasons for having a single stage. If you are doing pistol a Turret press to start if not a full progressive. You can still do it one at a time to learn it on them. But once you get going it takes forever reloading pistol single stage. Rifle has a few more steps involved.

Back... to a pc. so I can respond.

For single stage, Lee offers a great kit in the breech lock challenger kit.

Alternatively, just might as well upgrade to a progressive. Whole heartedly subscribe to the whole buy once, cry once theory.

**** im two dillon xl 650's in with a ss lee anniversary kit and have a mec 12 gauge loader coming

I'd start with a single stage press (like the RCBS you have posted). Reloading isn't for everyone. If you don't like it, you're only out a couple hundred. And you can probably sell off and make most your money back.

As your addiction, sickness, reloading hobby advances, you can move on to a progressive. Even with a progressive, you will find uses for your single stage, it won't go to waste.

Lee, RCBS, hornaday all make a good entry level kit. (Lee is probably the cheapest)

As for used, it can be the way to go. You can buy a press, with a set of dies or two for little $. As far as being "used", it's pretty darn hard to wear out a press. With very little exception, a used press is going to be as good as a new press.

In my opinion if you're doing volume like handgun loads you should go progressive. I was

told to start with a single stage/turret press, but I just can't see myself pulling the lever that

many times to reload one single round.

If you get a good general understanding of how the process works and do some reading I

don't think a progressive is too much for a beginner. It's doing the same thing as a single

stage press, just that it does all the actions at one time. If you take your time in the beginning

I think it's fine. Just my opinion.

with single stage pistol isn't impossible but takes a little longer. On nights I dont feel like loading I just sit and process brass. I get a bunch primed and ready to rock for when I do feel like dropping powder and seating bullets. With the brass prepped i can do about 150 .45 in a little less than an hour. I dont go crazy quick, I am just relaxing listening to the radio enjoying myself. I am sure if I really wanted to I could go a bit quicker. But 150 .45 on a single stage per hour isn't bad. I guess it all comes down to what you shoot more of, and if you shoot enough to justify the investment of a reloading setup. I shoot a ton of rifle and only occasionaly pistol so a single stage is perfect for me. I started with the Leek kit for 100 and loved it. Although if I were to start over I would get with an experienced reloader and order everything seperate. I found some of the stuff I dont like and some stuff I love. For pistol the RCBS little dandy powder measure is the cats meow. For rifle I like the Redding BR3 match powder measure. Scales, get a quality scale, not a cheapo. Most scales in kits are not worth the plastic they are made of. For priming I love the RCBS hand primer. I love the Frankford Arsenal case lube. Put some brass in a ziploc bag give it a squirt or two and shake, thats the easiest case lubing ever. I guess the amount of shooting and type of shooting you do should be a large determining factor of the setup you get.