zoid

Me VS Grand Master (Mike DiGennaro)

Spoiler: I lost, LOL.

Video Description:

This video compares an average shooter to a grand master. I felt it would be interesting to put in perspective just how much faster a GM shoots using side by side footage. Basically they are more than twice as fast and more accurate. Quite incredible when you see it in person. You can see in one stage his (GM) mag falls out and an extra reload is needed and even still he finishes more than 2 seconds faster (for the string). In the last stage my footage has a head start and I still take more time a GM does to finish TWO stages! The end footage you can see how much faster a GM reloads and draws. The difference is staggering. As for me I need more practice, LOL!

Thanks to Mike D. for letting me use the footage.

• Like 5

so you're Zoid! You shot very well with your single stack. Next time I see you at the range, I'll introduce myself and the other forum members.

Looking forward to it. Yeah I'm sure there are a bunch of you guys at these comps. I'm fairly new to

shooting and the community so I kinda go to these events and twiddle my thumbs between waiting

to shoot.

My equipment is different, true. I realize that it's a little bit of a disadvantage in LImited 10 because

Limited/LImited 10 is basically like Open Race Guns/Holsters, just no optics. I have one of those

push button holsters and it SUCKS. I keep my 1911 on my side because I want to get used to drawing

from there since I compete in production and want to do single stack as well which require you to draw

from there.

However, that being said, I'm quite sure given the same equipment I'd still get my a** kicked pretty bad. LOL!

That was great! Very well done. Thanks for all the time you put into recording, editing, and producing this. Nothing against the GM shooter but he never started out shooting that way. It took years and years of practice and sticking with the sport. Your doing ok right now and you just started shooting IPSC. In a year you wont believe your improvement. I would like to see that video...compare yourself today and in a year from now if you keep up the sport.

Spoiler: I lost, LOL.

Video Description:

This video compares an average shooter to a grand master. I felt it would be interesting to put in perspective just how much faster a GM shoots using side by side footage. Basically they are more than twice as fast and more accurate. Quite incredible when you see it in person. You can see in one stage his (GM) mag falls out and an extra reload is needed and even still he finishes more than 2 seconds faster (for the string). In the last stage my footage has a head start and I still take more time a GM does to finish TWO stages! The end footage you can see how much faster a GM reloads and draws. The difference is staggering. As for me I need more practice, LOL!

Thanks to Mike D. for letting me use the footage.

Thanks Zoid, fun ans educational to watch.

Scig

Mike was shooting very conservatively and safe, probably just getting some solid classifiers in as a base for a new Division. I know he can do high 4 second el pres's regularly.

His actual time was 5.06 sec so pretty close to what you're saying.

Another thing I noticed was the difference in recoil. I guess it's a combination of gun control and loads, but Mike's recoil was significantly less, which means he can get back on target quicker. Were you shooting factory ammo?

Mike would turn down free factory ammo over his reloads. For recoil management and reacquiring your sight picture after a shot it's like night and day when you compare the two.

Were you shooting factory ammo?

No mine are also reloads, but I've shot it side by side with factory ammo and it's pretty close. I use

the middle to upper range of powder as per the load data for 45ACP. Wanna try a lighter load.

Another thing I noticed was the difference in recoil. I guess it's a combination of gun control and loads, but Mike's recoil was significantly less, which means he can get back on target quicker. Were you shooting factory ammo?

Technique counts for a lot. More than I would have guessed when I started, or even in the middle of my time shooting production. But I have some videos of me from way back shooting 180-ish power factor factory ammo, and from fairly recently shooting 180-ish reloads (was doing some guesstimating on a new load and wanted to play it safe). The difference in apparent recoil with several years of experience between the two was pretty drastic.

+1 to what Matt said.

Matt has been giving me some pointers and already making a difference. All about the grip.

At the same time, past 8 months have been shooting my 40 s&w gun, 172 pf loads. Shot 9mm for IDPA out of a 1911, and then m&p 9, and the gun just did not move.