TheWombat

My Experimental Home Range

Well with a couple of recent topics on having a basement range and some videos of forum members competing etc I thought I'd see what I could set up at home that would meet the approval of MrsWombat. Since we recently received airsoft pistols from Santa we don't have to consider the additional challenges for lead contamination, live ammo etc.

We are using KJW Sig P226 and P229 (they don't sell a P228). They are metal, have double action/single action, working decocker and are reasonably realistic in function.

SigP229P226.jpg

We're shooting plastic bbs which are shot around 320 fps and are powerful enough to leave a decent dent in metal.

Metallid1.jpg

Metallid2.jpg

The 'range' has been made from Wardrobe boxes that you use for moving house. I've used these are they are large enough for large targets and to catch shots that are not as precisely aimed as they should be. They are light enough to move around easily. I'm still working on how best to attach targets to the front. Keeping the cardboard front intact meant some BBs were bouncing off - a no no for Mrs Wombat. Cutting out the front has reduced this. Hanging from the wardrobe bar in the middle is bubble wrap to act as a backstop and the BBs then collect in the bottom of the box. I may replace the bubble wrap with old towels/pillow cases.

HomeRange-1.jpg

Notice the Wombat on top of the middle target!

While I dislike videos of myself, here are two to show how it works.

(video now removed)

And then with a reload part way through - my first one so far from tidy and I'm shooting slower!

(video now removed)

I am using a CED 7000 timer (thanks Santa) that picks up the airsoft shots perfectly well. The distance to the target from where I am standing is 22 feet.

It's far from perfect, however does provide an alternative to just sitting and dry firing and seems to have some promise. Mrs Wombat has approved and tried a few goes as well. I now need to get a holster for the airsoft pistol.

:-)

TheWombat

You actually got your wife to allow you to do that? Is she really a stuffed animal that you talk to or some sort of Norman Bates thing going on there?

It certainly looks like fun.

MrsWombat is real and seems pretty keen with it, she's tried the home invasion scenario, standard range with two hands, one hand (strong), one hand (weak), reloading in the middle, and even gave it a go when I was out at RTSP yesterday. Seems to be a winner :-)

It probably helps that it takes me 5 minutes to put the 'range' away and for us to have a normal room again.

TheWombat

I am on the way over!

And credit to Anthony and the crew at GunForHire as it was the Simunitions and 2nd Step course that made me think about the home invasion scenarios!

I will be back for another Simunitions course soon though to see if the training has worked :-)

TheWombat

Haha nice!!

Where can you get those GFH targets? Those are nice, I like how you can see the internals. Can you give me some rough specs of them? LxW?

I got them from Anthony at GunForHire for practicing the drills they were teaching on the 2nd Steps pistol course. They are 23" wide by 35" high. The numbered dots are 3" in diameter. You can see them in a number of my other posts e.g. the Walther PPQ.

hth

TheWombat

As a semi-retired airsofter, a word of warning. Those bbs leave some NASTY dents in drywall and soft to medium wood from any stray shots. Other than that, they're a great training device and you have a very nice setup!

*edit* Also, some synthetic material like nylon (wears really well, cotton will eventually blow through) hung in the middle of the box, with 6 or so inches of dead space between it and the back of the box should absorb the impact and prevent the bbs from flying back out.

Stuffed animal? I can assure you that there's no silicon in me.

Stuffed animal...as in a one of those things on top of the shootin boxes :), i.e. A figment of his imagination. My wife would gut me like a fish if I did anything like that.

This post is dedicated to Maksim :-)

IPSC Challenge. 1/3rd size targets. Maximum distance is 23 feet, minimum distance is 12 feet.

11 BBs in first magazine (to simulate 10+1), 10 BBs in second magazine

(video now removed)

The results - this is only my 2nd attempt!

Targets from left to right

IPSC1.jpg

IPSC2.jpg

IPSC3.jpg

IPSC4.jpg

IPSC5.jpg

TheWombat

• Like 1

You have taken the 2nd amendment to a whole other level! If I can make one suggestion in your shooting. Lean forwards a little bit.

Thank you. I do at the range, however with the timer my technique has gotten a little sloppy. I'll make sure MrsWombat keeps an eye on my stance

TheWombat

• Like 1

As a semi-retired airsofter, a word of warning. Those bbs leave some NASTY dents in drywall and soft to medium wood from any stray shots. Other than that, they're a great training device and you have a very nice setup!

*edit* Also, some synthetic material like nylon (wears really well, cotton will eventually blow through) hung in the middle of the box, with 6 or so inches of dead space between it and the back of the box should absorb the impact and prevent the bbs from flying back out.

Thanks!

TheWombat

^^ This

Heavyweight plastic sheeting will help stop them as well.

Hmm.. might be time to reconsider my no airsoft policy... Very cool set up!

Airsoft is a good training tool, just dont forget to use good tactics such as proper movement and cover.

Except for gun games. Cover will just slow you down and kill your scores.... unless we are talking idpgay idpa

You got me there Maks. If you are practicing for gun games do whatever makes you win.

However from a defensive point of view, it makes me cringe to see someone stand still, out in the open, while addressing multiple targets.

• Like 1

Wombat, that is truly awesome! I would have liked to have seen you use your Christmas tree for concealment. (It's clearly not cover!)

I saw some Airsoft guns recently, and thought they looked pretty realistic. I thought of starting a thread here to see if they are fun or of value for practice, but it looks like you've answered my question. I'm going to have to take another look at them ASAP.