Tosser

Why do you own Guns?

It started with self-defense, I suppose, way back in 1999. I remember standing in the bedroom of my Mt. Laurel condo scared out of my mind because I heard glass break at 3AM and I had nothing but a large flashlight to defend myself with.

That's one of those things I call a teachable moment. I was an anti-gunner before that night. I remember going to the gun store and being told that I needed a permit just for them to take it off the shelf (I drove to Harry's - it was the only gun store I knew because they advertised on the radio). Like Homer Simpson, I was scared and defenseless. I needed a gun now, not whenever the police got around to letting me have it. I got the paperwork for my FID soon after I navigated the laws.

I had one gun for years, and maybe went to shoot it once every six months. Then a perfect storm happened. I got my masters degree and I started working with a guy who was a former Marine who was into Glocks. Now I had time since I was out of grad school and I had a shooting buddy to go with. So I started to go once or twice a month. Then I started to buy guns for fun.

Now I live in Cherry Hill, where I'm pretty darn confident that I will never use a gun for shooting anything more than paper - they are for sport now - clay games and cans, although I have been getting more into pistol. It seems to go in cycles that move with the seasons. During the summer I won't even touch a pistol and you'll see me at Ft. Dix busting clays. During the winter, I hibernate with pistols at Firing Line in Philadelphia. So sport, then self defense. I don't ever picture myself hunting.

I have always had one or two at home but never any real interest - they were just 'there'.

Then I drank the KoolAid when it became a strong possibility the Messiah would be elected and life as we know it would end. Bought a Remington 870 12GA just in case. That was followed shortly by a Charles Daly 20Ga with youth stock for my wife because the 870 was too heavy for her. Then I decided I really needed a handgun so a Springfield 1911 came home with me. That started the run on several more 1911s. Oh, I am doing my bit to keep the ammunition manufacturers in business,. too. Now I find myself poring over a half dozen gun websites every day figuring out I want next.

Maybe I owe the Dems a vote of gratitude after all (but NEVER a real vote)! Does that count as self-defense, zombie protection or both?

Primarily:

* Hunting

* Hobby/Recreation/Fun... I just plain LOVE to shoot

Secondary:

* Some day when my kids are older and I might have more spare time, I want to get into gun games (IDPA, IPSC, 3-gun, whatever...)

* Instead of Self Defense (that would imply CCW and I don't see that ever happening in NJ), I'll just say Home Defense.

Silver was skyrocketing so I sold a bunch and bought guns instead. I like to collect and shoot most of my revolvers. Really got into shooting clays and wound-up with a bunch of shotguns.

So to me, collecting was first, sports were second, home defense a distant third. We are in a good neighborhood and town, not much happens here, dial 911 and 3 to 4 cars are at your house in less than a minute, no-kidding!

• Like 1