jcerillo70

Saiga 7.62x39

I had 2, one runs great. The other? Well, let's just say the "world's greatest battle rifle" didn't run.

type of gun and what was the malfunction?

a properly built AK should last a VERY long time.. BUT you have to take into account the monkeys who monkey with them.. I saw a build where the entire fire control group was held on by a spring bent over a rivet.. not exactly a solid setup.. at some point this would likely jump.. and cause the FCG to fail.. now at that point.. is it a defect of the AK or a defect of the monkey who rigged it up? I will state again... a properly built AK should last a VERY long time even with a ton of hard use..

but seriously.. what did you have and how did it break? I am genuinely curious..

Plus im gonna put on a US rail and have US mags. So i think im there

don't rely on mags to get you there on the off chance you are sharing mags or something and just pick up a NON US mag.. it creates a situation where you all of the sudden have an illegal gun..

what rail? and what will you be using the rail for?

a properly built AK should last a VERY long time.. BUT you have to take into account the monkeys who monkey with them.. I saw a build where the entire fire control group was held on by a spring bent over a rivet.. not exactly a solid setup.. at some point this would likely jump.. and cause the FCG to fail.. now at that point.. is it a defect of the AK or a defect of the monkey who rigged it up? I will state again... a properly built AK should last a VERY long time even with a ton of hard use..

but seriously.. what did you have and how did it break? I am genuinely curious..

GP1975

FTF, FTE, front sight canted so bad it was shooting 6 inches left at 20 yards. Good-bye

don't rely on mags to get you there on the off chance you are sharing mags or something and just pick up a NON US mag.. it creates a situation where you all of the sudden have an illegal gun..

what rail? and what will you be using the rail for?

I want the rail for a light and a vertical Fore arm grip. Also for that Tacti-cool look

Im thinking the US made tri-rail : http://store.carolin...ANDGUARD/Detail

and whatever fore arm grip i come across that i like. US made

Eventually maybe a red dot like yours.But im getting ahead of myself

GP1975

FTF, FTE, front sight canted so bad it was shooting 6 inches left at 20 yards. Good-bye

ironically the cut corner build I was talking about was another century product... pretty sure I told YOU or someone else considering the GP1975 to stay away... since century has a nasty habit of putting out junk.. a cheap cut corner Century build is in no way comparable to a quality Saiga build.. your example is why I tell people time and time again.. buy a STOCK Saiga and convert it.. further.. your gun was jacked up by the factory.. it was not a "broken" or "wear" issue..

I want the rail for a light and a vertical Fore arm grip. Also for that Tacti-cool look

Im thinking the US made tri-rail : http://store.carolin...ANDGUARD/Detail

and whatever fore arm grip i come across that i like. US made

Eventually maybe a red dot like yours.But im getting ahead of myself

I have had MANY Saigas.. some with rails.. some without.. Saiga with rail is suck.. IMO.. too front heavy and unwieldy.. not that "my way is the right way" but it is what I have ended up with after a TON of shooting and parts swapping.. the AK with a front vertical grip is meh.. and honestly a more traditional hold seems to work better... and if you use a gas tube rail and offset light mount.. your thumb ends up right on the button for the light.. also.. that rail gets REAL long.. as in when you are moving and shooting.. it tends to be more rail than is needed.. and just makes the gun cumbersome..

do what you like.. but that is my experience with having gone through a bunch of AKs.. and various platforms..

I have had MANY Saigas.. some with rails.. some without.. Saiga with rail is suck.. IMO.. too front heavy and unwieldy.. not that "my way is the right way" but it is what I have ended up with after a TON of shooting and parts swapping.. the AK with a front vertical grip is meh.. and honestly a more traditional hold seems to work better... and if you use a gas tube rail and offset light mount.. your thumb ends up right on the button for the light.. also.. that rail gets REAL long.. as in when you are moving and shooting.. it tends to be more rail than is needed.. and just makes the gun cumbersome..

do what you like.. but that is my experience with having gone through a bunch of AKs.. and various platforms..

Your the Expert brother, ill take your word for it. How would you do it if you were to only have 1 AK

Your the Expert brother, ill take your word for it. How would you do it if you were to only have 1 AK

well this IS my one and only AK now.. (besides my Saiga in 12 guage)

I find the Hogue pistol grip to be incredibly comfortable..

obviously I would use 15 round capacity mags.. and your choice of stock..

The Ultimak gas tube with rail was great for mounting a red dot.. but even without a red dot I would use it to mount the flashlight...

I used a Kvar handguard because it matches everything else.. and plenty durable..

my choices were all based on durability and ergonomics.. but every shooter is a little different.. the gun for me runs and is nice and fast for short to mid range run and gun type shooting..

saiga762finalvlad.JPG

The Ultimak gas tube with rail was great for mounting a red dot.. but even without a red dot I would use it to mount the flashlight...

I used a Kvar handguard because it matches everything else.. and plenty durable..

I forgot about these parts, i definitely dont want to keep the stock ones. Ill have to snoop around the site for the ones you have. I love the way it looks. With great hopes mine will have a red dot and flashlight as well

I think i have it all now.

1. Hogue Grips > http://store.carolin...monogrip/Detail

2. Handguards > http://store.carolin...RD-BLACK/Detail

3.SCOPE MOUNT-SAIGA AK47 RAILED GAS TUBE > http://store.carolin...aiga-gas/Detail

4. #8 Conversion kit w/ 1'' recoil pad > http://store.carolin...sion-kit/Detail

that would net you a gun that is VERY similar to mine.. the only thing you would need additionally is some type of handguard.. you can keep the factory one.. but you will just need to trim a little to make it fit with the Ultimak rail. or you can switch to an AK handguard but that gets a little pricey..

dscf0355ey1.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you know if the Hogue handguards will work with the ultimak rail?

Isn't the KVAR a hand guard? or do i need another piece

http://store.carolin...RD-BLACK/Detail

that is in fact the handguard.. but in addition to that you would also need the following piece..

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Hand-guard/Detail

Out of curiosity, do you know if the Hogue handguards will work with the ultimak rail?

honestly not sure? it is meant to fit an AK platform.. looks like it sits reasonably low? so I think fitting would be minimal.. but no way to really know..

honestly not sure? it is meant to fit an AK platform.. looks like it sits reasonably low? so I think fitting would be minimal.. but no way to really know..

Thanks - will do some research. Seems like it might be a good set up if all the pieces fit together.

This is just an observation but you can pay $300 to $850 for s Saiga. You can convert it or not.

But if you look at some of the products, the quality varies as much as the price.

Some of the rivet jobs appear to have been done by a monkey. So buyer beware.

Happy New Year!

This is just an observation but you can pay $300 to $850 for s Saiga. You can convert it or not.

But if you look at some of the products, the quality varies as much as the price.

Some of the rivet jobs appear to have been done by a monkey. So buyer beware.

Happy New Year!

the work on the century guns that I have seen has been questionable.. but once you clean up their mess it is still a Saiga.. just more work than is needed..

I just called Classic Arms to see why is hasn't shipped yet. The girl said its on backorder for 2-3 weeks :roulette:

So i bought the rail and red dot from RecessedFilter, and i guess i have time to order the rest of the stuff from Carolina shooters supply

I'd keep it stock and not switch over. For $299, you can buy a bunch of 10-round magazines for $9.99 a piece for what it costs just for the cheaply converted 7.62x39 that they offer for $150.00 more than the stock... That's 15 10-round magazines for the same price as the other.

And, if you want to convert it later, go ahead and do it and sell off the Saiga magazines.

I would get the scope mount and maybe the Saiga recoil pad.

Other than the use of AK mags, is the conversion just tacticool, or does it really make the rifle handle better? Can you convert to use AK mags and NOT do the other conversions... pistol grip, etc.? The standard trigger isn't that bad.

How easily do these sheet metal things rust?

well this IS my one and only AK now.. (besides my Saiga in 12 guage)

I find the Hogue pistol grip to be incredibly comfortable..

obviously I would use 15 round capacity mags.. and your choice of stock..

my choices were all based on durability and ergonomics.. but every shooter is a little different.. the gun for me runs and is nice and fast for short to mid range run and gun type shooting..

saiga762finalvlad.JPG

What is the Saiga 12 recoil like?

What is the Saiga 12 recoil like?

I find it to be very manageable.. remember you are pushing a pretty big bolt carrier over a pretty big gas system.. so a lot of the recoil gets lost there...

How easily do these sheet metal things rust?

it is metal so it could rust? but to the point of any kind of structural decay? I would say it would take a LOT..

I'd keep it stock and not switch over. For $299, you can buy a bunch of 10-round magazines for $9.99 a piece for what it costs just for the cheaply converted 7.62x39 that they offer for $150.00 more than the stock... That's 15 10-round magazines for the same price as the other.

And, if you want to convert it later, go ahead and do it and sell off the Saiga magazines.

I would get the scope mount and maybe the Saiga recoil pad.

Other than the use of AK mags, is the conversion just tacticool, or does it really make the rifle handle better? Can you convert to use AK mags and NOT do the other conversions... pistol grip, etc.? The standard trigger isn't that bad.

that is.. with all due respect... because you do not understand the system.. and what it is capable of..

the factory fire control group is trash compared to what the rifle is capable of

the excessive amount of pins and linkage robs the rifle of smoothness

the handling is awkward and clumsy compared to its potential..

the restoration to original configuration has little to do with being tacticool.. it has to do with owning one of the most widely used battle rifles in existence.. configured as it was designed to be used... built right in Russia.. I am telling you.. this is ALL about function..

but don't worry you are not alone...

I get emails.. and private messages all the time.. questioning as to it being worth it.. and here is a sample of what normally happens.. after people convert.. and get used to the platform..

You said to give you a yell, so here it is: That gun you converted for XXXXXXXXXXXX is simply AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took it to my outdoor range (finally) and put a hundred rounds through it. I put a red dot on it, took about 5 shots to get it sighted-in. I was shooting from 15 yards, groups were the size of a quarter, I was very, very impressed!

I wanted to get this one setup to do close-action stuff at our outdoor events, I think it will be perfect.

I had used my other Saiga for an event but follow-up shots took forever! I did very well with it, but this one will be 100% better.

he owns both a converted.. and unconverted Saiga... he is relaying his personal experience with both.. his "other saiga" is the unconverted one..

the two platforms are indescribably different..