jcerillo70

Saiga 7.62x39

Vlad, I don't understand; that's why I asked.

Believe me, I am not opposed to converting it. I don't feel comfortable in my ability to do a good job with the conversion, but I would have it done at a reasonable price if it was done right with the right parts, etc.

Still, the unconverted one with about 10 stock magazines would make a nice budget-minded suburban SHTF rifle.

I didn't realize the performance was so much better on the converted one. Is there a knowledgeable gunsmith in Northern NJ that can do a nice and reasonable job?

Vlad, I don't understand; that's why I asked.

Believe me, I am not opposed to converting it. I don't feel comfortable in my ability to do a good job with the conversion, but I would have it done at a reasonable price if it was done right with the right parts, etc.

Still, the unconverted one with about 10 stock magazines would make a nice budget-minded suburban SHTF rifle.

I didn't realize the performance was so much better on the converted one. Is there a knowledgeable gunsmith in Northern NJ that can do a nice and reasonable job?

oh I know.. for the record I was not being rude.. lol

if you own a drill... and can work one.. you can likely do it yourself.. it is easier than you would think.. if you own a dremel.. or a grinder.. it makes it even easier..

the entire job takes me about 1.25 hours.. but I have done many... even a novice should be able to bang the job out over a few evenings with some patience..

it was the first gun I ever worked on.. and trust me I was nervous.. but AK platform guns function in a very logical way..

some of this is outdated.. but this will give you a general idea..

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

• Like 1

things that are outdated.. are the following..

step 7 uses some goofy spring to hold the FCG.. use an AK axis pin retainer..

also it talks about filling the holes with post binders.. companies sell nylon plug fillers that fit perfectly.. no need for big silver knobs.. lol

I know im a page late in this thread, but not all century guns are crap. The polish milled AKs are fine guns and hands down flat out surpass every saiga I have seen in build quality. It wasnt just a lime too, I've handled a few of the polish milled rifles and they are all equally awesome. Figgured I'de throw my 2 cents in.

DSC00790.jpg

Saigas arent the magic AK. Theres many more options. Waffen werks is a great builder... John Mcguire (sp?) is another very well known builder, Matt Yeamon....

What about an older SAR? Their quality is highly regarded.

Its kind of close minded here, people are led to believe that the saiga is the only quality option out there.

I know im a page late in this thread, but not all century guns are crap. The polish milled AKs are fine guns and hands down flat out surpass every saiga I have seen in build quality. It wasnt just a lime too, I've handled a few of the polish milled rifles and they are all equally awesome. Figgured I'de throw my 2 cents in.

DSC00790.jpg

Saigas arent the magic AK. Theres many more options. Waffen werks is a great builder... John Mcguire (sp?) is another very well known builder, Matt Yeamon....

What about an older SAR? Their quality is highly regarded.

Its kind of close minded here, people are led to believe that the saiga is the only quality option out there.

no one is saying it is the magic option..

the point is..you can own a Russian AK purchase it dirt cheap.. and then build it to whatever spec you want.. that is why so many go that route.. you are right.. there are certainly other AKs..

and as was stated.. if you read the thread.. it was clearly stated that NOT ALL Century guns are terrible.. but unfortunately.. most people are not interested in playing the Century lottery in the hopes that they get a "good one"... Saigas also have chrome lined barrels.. some other variants don't supposedly stands up a little better to corrosion?

Like I said.. the Saiga is nothing magical.. it just works well.. and my personal experience has been very positive with them.. that doesn't mean all other AKs suck.. but I will say I HAVE handled plenty of AKs that were terrible.. I was at a local shop when a new WASR came in for FFL transfer... the front sight post appeared to be a lot to one side.. and the action felt like it had rocks in it.. it barely closed under its own power.. i have not personally experienced this with Saigas.. the finish has gone down slightly in quality.. but besides that.. I have yet to be disappointed..

you can be partial to whatever platform you like.. but your obvious bias AGAINST Saigas blows my mind.. it is a Russian built AK platform rifle.. that has been proven reliable.. what is not to like?

• Like 1

th_88906ed5.jpg

Just did my conversion yesterday ordered all the parts off of CSS it was cake. My first conversion,all you need is a good drill and bit. It took some dremiling and washers for the hogue grip. Took me like an hour to do the conversion and a hour to find the safety spring that shot across the room. Wear eye protection & good luck.

no one is saying it is the magic option..

the point is..you can own a Russian AK purchase it dirt cheap.. and then build it to whatever spec you want.. that is why so many go that route.. you are right.. there are certainly other AKs..

and as was stated.. if you read the thread.. it was clearly stated that NOT ALL Century guns are terrible.. but unfortunately.. most people are not interested in playing the Century lottery in the hopes that they get a "good one"... Saigas also have chrome lined barrels.. some other variants don't supposedly stands up a little better to corrosion?

Like I said.. the Saiga is nothing magical.. it just works well.. and my personal experience has been very positive with them.. that doesn't mean all other AKs suck.. but I will say I HAVE handled plenty of AKs that were terrible.. I was at a local shop when a new WASR came in for FFL transfer... the front sight post appeared to be a lot to one side.. and the action felt like it had rocks in it.. it barely closed under its own power.. i have not personally experienced this with Saigas.. the finish has gone down slightly in quality.. but besides that.. I have yet to be disappointed..

you can be partial to whatever platform you like.. but your obvious bias AGAINST Saigas blows my mind.. it is a Russian built AK platform rifle.. that has been proven reliable.. what is not to like?

Not trying to thread jack but just wanted to say a couple things.

I will say I don't mind Saiga's. I do understand that people buy them to convert them so they can customize it to their liking. As for myself, I'd much rather just buy a really nice AK that's most likely better than a Saiga AND I don't have to deal with converting it or anything. But that's of course just my preference.

I think Glenn is just trying to say that Saiga's aren't everything when it comes to AK's. It seems like anytime someone says they are looking at AK's, you say build a Saiga. That isn't the only option, and quite frankly there are tons of other options. Yes, I know it's somewhat easy to convert a Saiga but technically you aren't even converting it to a real AK. You are just converting it to put a pistol grip on. To do everything else involved in truly 'converting' it, it will take more tools, more time, and more money.

Saying a regular pistol-grip converted Saiga is a real AK is like saying a 'sport' edition of a car is the same as putting on upgraded aftermarket exhaust and suspension and that's it. When really the 'sport' edition might have the aftermarket exhaust, upgraded suspension, rims, nicer interior, etc. Get my drift?

If someone wants a REAL AK, there are tons of good builds out there. If they want a REAL Saiga, it would be the easiest route to go buy an Arsenal as those are true top-notch conversion builds.

Just saying...

• Like 1

Not trying to thread jack but just wanted to say a couple things.

I will say I don't mind Saiga's. I do understand that people buy them to convert them so they can customize it to their liking. As for myself, I'd much rather just buy a really nice AK that's most likely better than a Saiga AND I don't have to deal with converting it or anything. But that's of course just my preference.

I think Glenn is just trying to say that Saiga's aren't everything when it comes to AK's. It seems like anytime someone says they are looking at AK's, you say build a Saiga. That isn't the only option, and quite frankly there are tons of other options. Yes, I know it's somewhat easy to convert a Saiga but technically you aren't even converting it to a real AK. You are just converting it to put a pistol grip on. To do everything else involved in truly 'converting' it, it will take more tools, more time, and more money.

Saying a regular pistol-grip converted Saiga is a real AK is like saying a 'sport' edition of a car is the same as putting on upgraded aftermarket exhaust and suspension and that's it. When really the 'sport' edition might have the aftermarket exhaust, upgraded suspension, rims, nicer interior, etc. Get my drift?

If someone wants a REAL AK, there are tons of good builds out there. If they want a REAL Saiga, it would be the easiest route to go buy an Arsenal as those are true top-notch conversion builds.

Just saying...

the statement that there are "other AKs available" is a true one...

the statement that there are "better AKs available" is subjective unless you actually have some information that makes XXXXX AK "better than a converted Saiga"..

to imply that a converted Saiga is not a "real AK" is foolish at best.. how is a gun with an AK action built in Russia next to Mil Spec AKs not a real AK...... one could argue that Russia is responsible for the creation of the AK and that all the other "AK" platform guns out there are mere "copies" of the original.. but all that boils down to is petty nit picking..

to most people with a clue.. since a Saiga.. wasr.. etc.. all share the same action as an AK they would all be considered AKs.. I subscribe to that thought process...

I have only owned Saigas.. but it is not the only AK that I have had time with..

but really.. please.. educate me.. what is a "better" AK out there.. and why is it "better".. I am interested in your opinion on this..

for the record.. I have said a thousand times over that there are other options.. converting a Saiga worked out for me for several simple reasons.. gun is dirt cheap to start.. and I could hand pick every component of the gun.. to net the exact firearm I wanted.. I learn the gun inside and out.. and understand every aspect of it.. most people who work on Saigas share that mindset.. if you are not one of them.. by all means.. buy a "better" AK.. but like I said.. really curious what you view to be "better" and why... not disputing.. just curious..

in regards to an Arsenal.. let me guess.. it is "better" because they have the proper gas block to hold the cleaning rod.. :rolleyes:

my Saiga has a pistol grip...

it has an AK fire control group..

it takes AK magazines....

it has furniture specific to an AK....

here is the sum of tools it took to do that...

hammer.. punch.. drill.. grinder.. tap...

and a little bit of elbow grease and time...

the ONLY addition that could be done to be "more AKish" would be to press off the gas block and replace that and the lower handguard retainer.... or maybe thread the barrel and ad a slant brake.. for me.. no point..

gun is LIGHT.. FAST.. and extremely reliable.. more reliable than some "other" AKs I have read about.. some even on this board..

• Like 1

I noticed your red dot was mounted really far foward on your rifle, mine is pretty far back. I bought a scope mount that mounts to the side rail on the gun, it seems to work pretty good. So far so good with the cheap red dot I am using. I really like it, can get back on target so much faster than my other rifle that still has iron sights.

I noticed your red dot was mounted really far foward on your rifle, mine is pretty far back. I bought a scope mount that mounts to the side rail on the gun, it seems to work pretty good. So far so good with the cheap red dot I am using. I really like it, can get back on target so much faster than my other rifle that still has iron sights.

the only reason I go so far forward is because on that mount I can co-witness my iron sights real time.. with it being a red dot.. I have no issue seeing it and using it quickly..

the statement that there are "other AKs available" is a true one...

the statement that there are "better AKs available" is subjective unless you actually have some information that makes XXXXX AK "better than a converted Saiga"..

to imply that a converted Saiga is not a "real AK" is foolish at best.. how is a gun with an AK action built in Russia next to Mil Spec AKs not a real AK...... one could argue that Russia is responsible for the creation of the AK and that all the other "AK" platform guns out there are mere "copies" of the original.. but all that boils down to is petty nit picking..

to most people with a clue.. since a Saiga.. wasr.. etc.. all share the same action as an AK they would all be considered AKs.. I subscribe to that thought process...

I have only owned Saigas.. but it is not the only AK that I have had time with..

but really.. please.. educate me.. what is a "better" AK out there.. and why is it "better".. I am interested in your opinion on this..

for the record.. I have said a thousand times over that there are other options.. converting a Saiga worked out for me for several simple reasons.. gun is dirt cheap to start.. and I could hand pick every component of the gun.. to net the exact firearm I wanted.. I learn the gun inside and out.. and understand every aspect of it.. most people who work on Saigas share that mindset.. if you are not one of them.. by all means.. buy a "better" AK.. but like I said.. really curious what you view to be "better" and why... not disputing.. just curious..

in regards to an Arsenal.. let me guess.. it is "better" because they have the proper gas block to hold the cleaning rod.. :rolleyes:

my Saiga has a pistol grip...

it has an AK fire control group..

it takes AK magazines....

it has furniture specific to an AK....

here is the sum of tools it took to do that...

hammer.. punch.. drill.. grinder.. tap...

and a little bit of elbow grease and time...

the ONLY addition that could be done to be "more AKish" would be to press off the gas block and replace that and the lower handguard retainer.... or maybe thread the barrel and ad a slant brake.. for me.. no point..

gun is LIGHT.. FAST.. and extremely reliable.. more reliable than some "other" AKs I have read about.. some even on this board..

Saying a regular pistol-grip converted Saiga is not an AK isn't foolish, it's right. Yeah, it is close to an AK but you just said it yourself. You need to do everything from pressing off that gas block to a cleaning rod to make it a real AK. I'm not trying to make this into a big thing, I just don't think many people know that. And for you there might be no point, but a lot of people want all that stuff.

An AK is an AK is an AK. A lot of people say this, many agree and many disagree but I have to somewhat disagree. Some have nicer finishes, milled vs stamped, some are smoother than others, magazine wells (wobble), canted FSB's/gas blocks, triggers, etc. Some are just overall nicer builds than others.

• Like 1

Saying a regular pistol-grip converted Saiga is not an AK isn't foolish, it's right. Yeah, it is close to an AK but you just said it yourself. You need to do everything from pressing off that gas block to a cleaning rod to make it a real AK. I'm not trying to make this into a big thing, I just don't think many people know that. And for you there might be no point, but a lot of people want all that stuff.

An AK is an AK is an AK. A lot of people say this, many agree and many disagree but I have to somewhat disagree. Some have nicer finishes, milled vs stamped, some are smoother than others, magazine wells (wobble), canted FSB's/gas blocks, triggers, etc. Some are just overall nicer builds than others.

you are right.. some are worse than others.. some have smoother actions than others.. and having handled MANY AKs.. there were not many that functioned smoother than a Saiga out of the box.. with regard to things like the action.. sight straightness etc.. not many.. meaning some functioned just as well..

with all due respect (because I have no issues with you)

you are right about one thing.. if things like cleaning rod placement are the MOST critical.. then sure.. there might be better options than a Saiga.. while easy enough to do.. does require some tools..

but beyond that...

qualifying a Saiga as a non AK because it lacks a gas block that holds a cleaning rob is absurd.. it is a purely cosmetic difference.. it is the type of nonsense that the legislators of NJ would be guilty of..

"this is an AK because it has a gas block that holds the cleaning rod"

but

"this is NOT a real AK because it doesn't"

even though they are both made by the same Russian factory that makes military grade AKs used by the Russian military.. if you do not see the absurdity there.. then I am not sure what to tell you..

of the numerous Saigas I have had hands on.. I have not encountered a single canted sight block (although I have heard of a handful)... the mags lock in solid with no function altering wobble... they are lighter than the milled variant (not that milled guns are bad.. Saigas are just lighter)... once you convert a Saiga you can put ANY AK variant FCG in there you want.. so the FCG the gun comes with is moot.. since we are comparing a converted Saiga to an AK....

If a Saiga is not right for you.. no problem.. pick up a nice WASR or something.. or maybe try your luck with a Century build.. but that whole nonsense about a Saiga not being a real AK.. come on.. you have to be kidding.. I am not sure Glenn the holiest of AK purist would even share such an absurd opinion..

• Like 2

you are right.. some are worse than others.. some have smoother actions than others.. and having handled MANY AKs.. there were not many that functioned smoother than a Saiga out of the box.. with regard to things like the action.. sight straightness etc.. not many.. meaning some functioned just as well.. with all due respect (because I have no issues with you) you are right about one thing.. if things like cleaning rod placement are the MOST critical.. then sure.. there might be better options than a Saiga.. while easy enough to do.. does require some tools.. but beyond that... qualifying a Saiga as a non AK because it lacks a gas block that holds a cleaning rob is absurd.. it is a purely cosmetic difference.. it is the type of nonsense that the legislators of NJ would be guilty of.. "this is an AK because it has a gas block that holds the cleaning rod" but "this is NOT a real AK because it doesn't" even though they are both made by the same Russian factory that makes military grade AKs used by the Russian military.. if you do not see the absurdity there.. then I am not sure what to tell you.. of the numerous Saigas I have had hands on.. I have not encountered a single canted sight block (although I have heard of a handful)... the mags lock in solid with no function altering wobble... they are lighter than the milled variant (not that milled guns are bad.. Saigas are just lighter)... once you convert a Saiga you can put ANY AK variant FCG in there you want.. so the FCG the gun comes with is moot.. since we are comparing a converted Saiga to an AK.... If a Saiga is not right for you.. no problem.. pick up a nice WASR or something.. or maybe try your luck with a Century build.. but that whole nonsense about a Saiga not being a real AK.. come on.. you have to be kidding.. I am not sure Glenn the holiest of AK purist would even share such an absurd opinion..

I think he would actually probably agree with me, but that is up to him. Saiga's are AK's but not true clones unless they are fully converted with everything, that's all I'm saying.

I have a few different ones in my collection, no WASR's or any low end stuff like that. One is actually a CAI build, and it is friggin NICE! I plan on getting another to add to my collection, and it might be the RPK as my friend recently handled one and said it was a beauty.

I think he would actually probably agree with me, but that is up to him. Saiga's are AK's but not true clones unless they are fully converted with everything, that's all I'm saying.

I have a few different ones in my collection, no WASR's or any low end stuff like that. One is actually a CAI build, and it is friggin NICE! I plan on getting another to add to my collection, and it might be the RPK as my friend recently handled one and said it was a beauty.

he actually completely disagrees with you.. I asked him last night if I was out of my mind...

oddly enough we got to talking about things like cleaning rods.. lol is your AK NOT an AK because it lacks the bayonet mount? you do know that REAL AKs have bayonet lugs right? some of the nicest AKs out there have no provision for a cleaning rod.. and they are still AKs.. in both his mind and mine.. but hey we are no experts..

the reality is NONE of these guns.. yours included are actually "AK47s" they are ALL AK variants..

with that said.. how are you even classifying what is an AK and what is not? the most logical way to me is look at the action of the gun.. and draw a logical comparison... think about it.. if you took a legit mil spec AK47 from Russia.. like an actual military grade gun.. and removed the original furniture and replaced it with a bunch of tacticool BS.. would that change the fact that it is in fact an AK47? obviously NOT...

RPK is a cool gun.. if I collected guns I would look at one..

as for Century... sure.. there are good guns out there.. but the converted Saigas they were selling were a ghetto rigged joke.. they are hit or miss... you could get a gem.. and score big.. or you could get some haggard nonsense held together with spring clips... and canted front sight blocks.. it is all a roll of the dice..

as far as the rest.. whatever.. agree to disagree..

but that gun in my safe built in Russia... in literally the same factory as Soviet military arms.. to me will be the closest thing to an AK I will ever put hands on.. that doesn't mean it is better than whatever you have.. or what Glenn has... I have handled nice non Saiga AKs.. and I would be lying if I said otherwise.. it is just that MOST of my experience.. has been with haggard shotty guns that were not worth their weight in scrap.. Saigas tend to be pretty consistent.. and have been dead reliable for me.. thousands of rounds without the slightest bit of care.. no failures.. and that is why I suggest Saigas.. it is up to the individual to make their choice... I do not hold stock in Russian arms or anything,.. lol I am just relaying my personal experience with a phenomenal gun that allows the operator to learn about it.. while customizing to whatever level they want.. you could hypothetically convert a Saiga to be as close to a true Russian AK as you can get.. if you chose to go that route.. I did not.. was not my goal...

Saiga's are AK's but not true clones unless they are fully converted with everything, that's all I'm saying.

I don't wish to get in the middle here, but I would like to play devil's advocate. Wouldn't that disqualify even Glenn's rifle, because it's not select fire? I mean, "true" AK's are select fire, capable of fully automatic fire.....Glenn's isn't. Not trying to crap on Glenn's rifle, it's a BEAUTIFUL rifle, and it's far more of an "AK" than my Saiga is. But your argument is actually based off of cosmetic differences, rather than performance differences. To take it back to your car comparison....that's like putting Z06 badges, rims, and interior on a base model Corvette, and saying it's a legit Z06. Well it's not. Only a Z06 is a Z06, just like only an AK47 is an AK47.

Classic arms has these for $299.99. so i'm about to go order one. But as always im going to check in with the experts first. This one is not converted yet, but thankfully we have Vlad ad his tutorials ;)

So what do you think? Its the best price ive seen yet?

Wow, I have Saiga in 308 but now I want one in 7.62x39 or .223. I was going to hold off until recover financially somewhat from the Holidays but for $299 I'll charge it ... I called this morning and tried to order one but they were sold out. If anyone knows any other sources with a similar price please advise.

EDIT: typo 7.62x39

Wow, I have Saiga in 308 but now I want one in 7.62x32 or .223. I was going to hold off until recover financially somewhat from the Holidays but for $299 I'll charge it ... I called this morning and tried to order one but they were sold out. If anyone knows any other sources with a similar price please advise.

If you order online from them, it gets backordered in your name for that price. Thats what i did

I got my saiga from JETAgent

Thanks for the reply back. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I’m in Trenton so that’s a little bit of a hike, I was thinking more line as another online dealer so I could have it transferred here. But if he has them for that price on the rack I may take a ride….

If you order online from them, it gets backordered in your name for that price. Thats what i did

Thanks for the reply back, all he said was they would have computer issues and they were “out of the $299 configuration”, he did say they had the converted ones in the $400 range. I call back tomorrow and see if they could put me on the list. On a side note Bud's might have them too but looking at Bud's yesterday they started some VIP nonsense where you pay an annual fee to be a VIP. That's not for me...

I would hit the little red button next to your post.. but since everyone already knows your opinion is irrelevant, and just to ignore you... no real point.... :ok:

Ray's just upset that he didn't listen to the people that told him to get a Saiga instead of the GPwhatever that never worked :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply back. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I’m in Trenton so that’s a little bit of a hike, I was thinking more line as another online dealer so I could have it transferred here. But if he has them for that price on the rack I may take a ride….

Thanks for the reply back, all he said was they would have computer issues and they were “out of the $299 configuration”, he did say they had the converted ones in the $400 range. I call back tomorrow and see if they could put me on the list. On a side note Bud's might have them too but looking at Bud's yesterday they started some VIP nonsense where you pay an annual fee to be a VIP. That's not for me...

I called last week and asked why it didnt ship yet, and the girl told me its on backorder. Now im worried after hearing this, ill have to call them again tomorrow. thanks for the heads up brother

I called last week and asked why it didnt ship yet, and the girl told me its on backorder. Now im worried after hearing this, ill have to call them again tomorrow. thanks for the heads up brother

easy for me to say but I wouldn’t worry if I were you, at least you know yours is in the queue. I wasn’t even given the back order option. Think there is a run on the them? I tried ordering more Factory 8 round mags for my 308 but those seem hard to get too...

I would NOT buy that one..

I would NOT buy that one..

I assume you mean the stay away from the converted ones from Classic and not the BudsGunshop correct? $299 I could do, $400 is a stretch right now plus I want to do the work as per our chat last week.

You and my buddy from the THR talked me into it. You and I chatted last week about the converting my 308 which I don’t want to do (yet) but you have me going full speed to do a 223 or 762x39, that is if I could get one at 300 to 350 range, I don’t ever care which caliber. I try and refrain from the this vs. that but I’ll tell you what, the Saiga won me over.

I assume you mean the stay away from the converted ones from Classic and not the BudsGunshop correct? $299 I could do, $400 is a stretch right now plus I want to do the work as per our chat last week.

You and my buddy from the THR talked me into it. You and I chatted last week about the converting my 308 which I don’t want to do (yet) but you have me going full speed to do a 223 or 762x39, that is if I could get one at 300 to 350 range, I don’t ever care which caliber. I try and refrain from the this vs. that but I’ll tell you what, the Saiga won me over.

the unconverted one is a go.. the other I would stay away from..