Ray Ray

7, 8, 10, 15! Which 1911 magazine for home defense?

This is something I was curious about as I've since switched to one semi-auto type for use, the 1911. But, should I stay with the 7 rounder that my TRP came with for home defense? Or should I use the updated 8 rounders from the best magazine manufacturers out there (Chip McCormick, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat)? Or, try the 10 rounders that I see all the time being used at IDPA/USPSA/steel matches? Hell, I know the 15 rounders are a joke but if it runs reliably are those options as well? So many options, what to do?

I'm talking about what the old fuds (oldschool, shane545, pizzabob, GRIZ) use. Thanks though Kevyna

When did I become a "fud"? I'm old, but I don't think I've achieved Fud-dom yet.

I use Wilson 7-round mags in my RCS and Wilson and McCormick 8-rounders in my Combat Elite

• Like 1

I wish I could find the statistics, but I recall reading somewhere that during a home invasion defense, it was something like the typical shots fired was 2.

Now, knowing how you shoot, in your case, having a 7 round mag might be a blessing.

• Like 1

I wish I could find the statistics, but I recall reading somewhere that during a home invasion defense, it was something like the typical shots fired was 2.

Now, knowing how you shoot, in your case, having a 7 round mag might be a blessing.

you haven't been to a steel match, so I'll let my championships speak for themselves. With a 6 shooter no less.

• Like 1

When did I become a "fud"? I'm old, but I don't think I've achieved Fud-dom yet.

I use Wilson 7-round mags in my RCS and Wilson and McCormick 8-rounders in my Combat Elite

I'm talking home defense though

you haven't been to a steel match, so I'll let my championships speak for themselves. With a 6 shooter no less.

I wasn't referring to your accuracy, which I consider to be quite good, but rather you're energetic use of the trigger.

• Like 3

I've debated the same thing, mainly the 7 vs 8 debate... however, after much expense, I've concluded the best option for ME is the 10 rounders from tripp research. 100% reliable in my SACS mil spec and SA champ operator and with 10 + 1 with a spare 10 round magazine I have 21 rounds of 45 ACP. More than enough if the average HD shooting is 2 rounds. I have more than a few 1911's and the only brand to run 100% in every 1911 is tripp research.

Some say 10s, some say8s, and some say stick with a wheel gun. What's a boy to do?

Ray- the issue w/ the 10's is that because they're longer if you put pressure on the bottom of the mag and you don't have a super tight mag catch lock-up the mag lips sometimes misalign. Now there's loads of fixes for that but, why bother.

Flush fitting good quality mags work well. But like anything else you should have dedicated mags for HD that have been proven with the ammo of choice.

Or get a GLOCK. I've carried a BHP and 1911 and never had mag issues.

Ray- the issue w/ the 10's is that because they're longer if you put pressure on the bottom of the mag and you don't have a super tight mag catch lock-up the mag lips sometimes misalign. Now there's loads of fixes for that but, why bother.

Flush fitting good quality mags work well. But like anything else you should have dedicated mags for HD that have been proven with the ammo of choice.

Or get a GLOCK. I've carried a BHP and 1911 and never had mag issues.

If tried 3 different 10 rounders in my TRP (Chip McCormick, Mec-Gar and Wilson Combat) and the only one that seats correctly is the Wilson Combat. It was ran fine during steel matches and I abuse all my magazines in the process.

If tried 3 different 10 rounders in my TRP (Chip McCormick, Mec-Gar and Wilson Combat) and the only one that seats correctly is the Wilson Combat. It was ran fine during steel matches and I abuse all my magazines in the process.

Right! And as the mag catch notch (in the mag) wears from slapping it in it may not work next time

My .02...brute force reliability , wheel gun...especially if you shoot it well....

In a self defense situation, again my .02, reliability almost trumps all...

That being said, I keep a glock 36 handy with one mag and a gladeus flashlight

Ready...

however, that at times is rotated out with a 7 shot colt officers acp

I can't imagine at home MORE than 7 , God forbid, rounds being needed..but round count on hand is a personal choice.

Assuming your mags are reliable, etc, why wouldn't you want the largest magazine that you and your gun are comfortable with? Doesn't make sense to me to use a 7-round mag for HD if you have a 10, 12 or 15 rounder that's just as reliable and works well with the piece. Am I missing something?

The cmc 10 rounders can need the part of the base pad that pokes up to prevent over insertion narrowed for some guns. It's nothing that a couple minutes with a razor blade can't fix.

My current favorites are Tripp research mags. I have a bunch of cmc 10 rounders, but the feed lips need regular maintenance. Still have about 19k rounds through my set of 5 of them.

Mind helping me to understand?

OK, I was being a wisea$$, but the fact is that we are talking about a single stack, 1911 platform. They were designed for 7-round mags and were pushed to 8-round mags, while still having a flush insertion (.45 ACP). Anything more than 8-round mags means they protrude from the magwell - and for some of the reasons already posted, decline in reliability.

Sorry. That is all.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

OK, I was being a wisea$$, but the fact is that we are talking about a single stack, 1911 platform. They were designed for 7-round mags and were pushed to 8-round mags, while still having a flush insertion (.45 ACP). Anything more than 8-round mags means they protrude from the magwell - and for some of the reasons already posted, decline in reliability.

Sorry. That is all.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So, are you a 7-rounder or an 8-rounder kinda guy?

Sorry. That is all.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There are a bunch of very reliable 10 rounders. It's when you go past that you don't find anything good. Mainly because theres no competition market for them, and the awb didn't leave them legal, so they pretty much are only made by no-name companies that make crap mags.

I just don't see a net benefit from 7-10 rounds....I would opt for reliability over round count