Ray Ray

7, 8, 10, 15! Which 1911 magazine for home defense?

I'm talking about what the old fuds (oldschool, shane545, pizzabob, GRIZ) use. Thanks though Kevyna

All my 1911 45 ACP mags are 7 shot Colt or genuine GI except the two 8 rd mags I got with my PT1911. I've seen 10 rd mags that worked and never saw a 15 rd mag that did reliably.

More ammo is better but I've never seen the need for anymore than a 7 rd mag in a 1911.

I just don't see a net benefit from 7-10 rounds....I would opt for reliability over round count

Knowing what the weak spots of a gi style 7 round mag are, I'd have to say that all the best engineered .45 mags are 8 rounders or 10 rounders. I've got 5 or 6 gi 7 round mags. Only one works well. It's a metalform.

Knowing what the weak spots of a gi style 7 round mag are, I'd have to say that all the best engineered .45 mags are 8 rounders or 10 rounders. I've got 5 or 6 gi 7 round mags. Only one works well. It's a metalform.

I will not dis disagree that some GI mags can be 'finicky', however I have found, at least the colts that I am using to be very reliable...

That being said, my point being that reliability is more important to me as opposed to round count in a semi....

As an example, I would rather have a ultra-reliable wheel gun with 6 shots, as opposed to a large capacity semi that is prone to stoppages...

In most cases either size mag will do just fine. Odds are even if you miss the first 2 rounds they won't be sticking around for a third one to come their way. Then again I'd rather be ready for anything and use the largest capacity mag you can get that works reliably. I have a 15 round in my cz for just such an occasion. I also use my cz-75b for my home defense gun because I know it will go bang each and everytime, reliability is what is important for those situations.

We have been led to believe by many manufacturers that they have found the "problem" with something that has been in use for many years. If you want to believe them all we'd be using handguns with moon metal frames, carbon fiber slides, internal parts forged and hand fitted internal parts made by Santa's elves. The gun would have to be equipped with night sights, a laser, a tactical light, and a radar target aquisition system. The magazines would cost $200 and have to have redesigned feed lips, followers, base pads, a round counter, and loaded with premium ammuntion that costs $15 a round.

Some of these can be called 'improvements" but most important is what works as close to 100% for you.