Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Zombies are boring me, so I found a new horde of creatures to fear...

I have been reading the Strain trilogy (The Strain, The Fall, and The Night Eternal) by Guillermo Del Toro recently, and am completely hooked with his take on vampires, and how they would fare against the safeguards of modern society (traditional weapons, police, military, mass transit, etc.)

The creatures themselves are gross and hideous, definitely nothing like the ones seen in True Blood or Twilight. They're also more animalistic, and act as a hive mind which connects to their Master. They do consume your blood, and when they're done, you turn into one of them. Daylight (UVC) kills em, silver really messes them up (and kills them), as do other conventional weapons that can be used to sever the head or break the spine. The creatures are very durable and strong as well. They are also adept at night hunting, shedding traditional human senses for ones which are more attuned to hunting other people. Abilities to sense heat, improved hearing, and smell give them a leg up, and when the power goes out, and you're fighting in the dark... well... it seems tricky to fight them.

All in all, the first two books were awesome. I'm on the third (final) one now, and it's an awesome ride from beginning to end.

So... if you're tired of zombies (yawn). I'd suggest this to liven things up.

I have been reading the Strain trilogy (The Strain, The Fall, and The Night Eternal) by Guillermo Del Toro recently, and am completely hooked with his take on vampires, and how they would fare against the safeguards of modern society (traditional weapons, police, military, mass transit, etc.)

The creatures themselves are gross and hideous, definitely nothing like the ones seen in True Blood or Twilight. They're also more animalistic, and act as a hive mind which connects to their Master. They do consume your blood, and when they're done, you turn into one of them. Daylight (UVC) kills em, silver really messes them up (and kills them), as do other conventional weapons that can be used to sever the head or break the spine. The creatures are very durable and strong as well. They are also adept at night hunting, shedding traditional human senses for ones which are more attuned to hunting other people. Abilities to sense heat, improved hearing, and smell give them a leg up, and when the power goes out, and you're fighting in the dark... well... it seems tricky to fight them.

All in all, the first two books were awesome. I'm on the third (final) one now, and it's an awesome ride from beginning to end.

So... if you're tired of zombies (yawn). I'd suggest this to liven things up.

Del toro can craft some creepy creatures. I'll have to try this series out.

Del toro can craft some creepy creatures. I'll have to try this series out.

Definitely creepy. Not to mention: intelligent and acting for a purpose. Zombies bore me because they're too easy to defeat, and usually don't think. The only reason they appear to be scary is because folks take a 20th-21st century approach to them: trying to use guns to kill them. Frankly, outfitting 50-100 strong men with swords, shields, and pikes/spears would make quick work of any zombie horde, especially if a choke point is properly selected.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this