Parker

Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder: 911 Operators Say It's Okay to Shoot

LMAO! Guys, FORGET about the chowderheads in the comments because, as usual, they know nothing! I lived in Oklahoma for quite awhile. It is a State that New Jersey gun owners dream about! No purchase permits, no registrations, you can get a concealed carry license by following the procedures and having the necessary safety/training course (good for 5 or 10 years too!!!), and the only limitations on firearms is that they must be in Federal compliance. Oh, and I already mentioned the well-written Castle Doctrine! Also, there is no shortage of "firing holes" where one can shoot from plinking to 1,000 yards.

Ready to move yet?

Cops only confiscated her shotgun because it was used lethal in self-defense. It should be returned at the conclusion of the investigation, but our fellow enthusiasts took care of the interim with a new one.

One more very interesting thing about OK - crime rates have been pratically flat for 30 years! The anti-gun folks hate the cowboy states for firearms freedom, but notice they leave them largely alone, especially OK because it is a poster child why the degree of gun control makes no difference to crime rates.

Excellent outcome to this story but why would I not add my NJGF 2c.

I will try to say this and only this when I call 911:

There is an intruder in my house.

My name and address is................

Send help.

I have gun.

Good bye.

And then probably crap my pants.

Hanging up may not be the best Idea. But Spacefry is right. These incidents are very difficult if not panicky. Can I converse with 911 while trying to find the trigger? It might be question of focus. So I at least partially agree.

I should have posted this as what I should do not would do!! I think what this all says is we need serious training to make the proper response automatic.

Hanging up may not be the best Idea. But Spacefry is right. These incidents are very difficult if not panicky. Can I converse with 911 while trying to find the trigger? It might be question of focus. So I at least partially agree.

I should have posted this as what I should do not would do!! I think what this all says is we need serious training to make the proper response automatic.

At minimum leave the phone on the ground and still connected. This way the dispatcher can update responding units with info as it happens.

On the phone with 911 for 21 minutes...Thats a long time...

What kind of thief takes 21 minutes to break into a house?

Not to mention that in 21 minutes the police didnt show up. Yet we dont need guns because we have police. Nothing against police but they cant protect us we need to be able to protect ourselves.

Good advice. I accept.

The actual point that I did not make explicit is this. If you blab everything and anything to 911 you may be hearing it played back in court and used against you. I don't feel like I am paranoid, just smart.