FishNJ

How to Pin Magpul CTR Stock without Drilling

Does anyone know of an FFL in NJ that will take shipment for a AR with this stock and modify it as per this article and transfer ownership to me? NJ is so so so exhausting with this!

Does anyone know of an FFL in NJ that will take shipment for a AR with this stock and modify it as per this article and transfer ownership to me? NJ is so so so exhausting with this!

arms and ammo in south jersey does that type of work..

he is a forum sponsor..

I have an AR15 stock that's double pinned (one pin on each side of the adjustment slide). Unfortunately, the pinned position is all the way back, making the stock too long for me. Any advice on the best manner to re-pin the stock?

Here are some pix:

ARpin-right.jpg

ARpin-left.jpg

Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tap them out? careful, b.c if you remove the pins, you will temp be in possession of an assault weapon (assuming the rest of the rifle is in your possession...)

be it will only be for a VERY short time, its still considered illegal.

They don't go all the way through so I can't tap them out/through the other side. I'm was thinking of trying to remove them with a screw extractor or similar, but they're too small methinx.

If you have the whole rifle in your possession I'd suggest taking to an FFL and having them re-pin it for you at the proper length this way there is no question of you being in possession of an AW.

this, esp after posting about it here. i know its a PITA but it is what it is and there are LEO that browse the site looking for stuff like this. you always want to be 100% safe and obey they law to its fullest extent. No need to be an example to show antis how "easy" it is to get your hands on a AW.....

If you have the whole rifle in your possession I'd suggest taking to an FFL and having them re-pin it for you at the proper length this way there is no question of you being in possession of an AW.

Good call... I'll do that. :) Thanks!

"does the stock telescope? NO does the stock fold? NO

unless there is LAW adding to that criteria... anything else is moot.."

Again your missing the point. Will you win in court? Maybe. Why roll the dice. LE looks for a blind pin...........

I bet they don't even look at all.

Love to see where someone was actually popped for this.

yes. you need to drill out the rivets holding the storage compartments on to get to the roll pins as in the photos. either re re-rivet or replace with button head screws. beyond that, its all the same. i think i needed a slightly smaller diameter dowel pin, 3/16".

does anyone have the statute, or law, and/or wording concerning stocks?

this is the wording that is relevant.. it is unclear.. 

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

a bayonet mount;

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

a grenade launcher;

this is the wording that is relevant.. it is unclear.. 

that was quick!! thanks man!

it's unclear, yet clear at the same time, if that's the only reference to these things. it's unclear, as they don't specify just how to make it not be telescoping. it's also very clear, as it seems that by the words of the law, that is all that matters, regardless of how one gets there.

that all said.....i wouldn't want to be the guy going through court to test that, lolol

that was quick!! thanks man!

it's unclear, yet clear at the same time, if that's the only reference to these things. it's unclear, as they don't specify just how to make it not be telescoping. it's also very clear, as it seems that by the words of the law, that is all that matters, regardless of how one gets there.

that all said.....i wouldn't want to be the guy going through court to test that, lolol

essentially the tube has to be locked to the stock in some manner to prevent its movement. IMO

Sad to report that the locking mech on the Magpul CTR has changed (Not surprising) since the original posting nearly a decade ago.  A 1/4" X 3/4" rod/dowel no longer fits in place of the spring.  Just ordered some 3/16" X 3/4" dowels to see if they will work.