compujas

Shooting w/ Rx Glasses

Being that I'm now newly indoctrinated into the Rx glasses wearing crowd, I was wondering what others do for shooting. I noticed that my eye doctor sells Rx Wiley X Safety glasses, which I have 3 sets of Wiley X non-Rx safety glasses. I asked about them and they said they can make me Rx lenses for $130 for them. I'm considering doing that since I my regular glasses are rimless so I'm not too comfortable wearing them a lot at the range. I'm not planning on getting them just yet, but I wanted to see what other people that wear Rx glasses do for safety glasses when at the range. I'm also not sure if I want to go the Rx safety glass route because of the inability to use tinted/shaded lenses during bright sunny days. Do any of you have Rx safety glasses, or just get the larger safety glasses that fit over your Rx glasses, or what?

In case anyone is wondering, I'm nearsighted with an astigmatism. The one time that I've been to the range since I got my glasses was like night and day difference. I could actually see bullet holes at 10yds, I could see my front sight, everything. It's almost like there's some merit to this science and medicine stuff.

Went to Walmart, got a set of Rx transition lenses put into rayban frame. Works really well for shooting. Does not get as dark as regular sunglasses in the daytime, and do become a little darker on overcast days.

All in all, great alternative, especially for shooting. One of the two times I wear glasses (wear a -1 rx), mostly otherwise I wear glasses at night driving home or whatnot. Wearing Rx during the day would hurt my eyes, even in situation where it would help, such as shooting. Rx sunglasses, or Rx transition lenses are the silver bullet.

Theron, I do like that idea and how those seem to work. They would definitely solve all of my issues, but they seem pricey considering I already have 3 sets of Wiley X frames. Then again it would also allow me to swap out the primary lenses for different shades, and if anything did ever happen I wouldn't have to pay for new Rx lenses, just new regular lenses. I'll have to keep those in mind. They might be worth the minor extra investment of Wiley X lenses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like what you linked to is $30 for only the Rx lens holder, not the frame and safety lens, right? If that's the case, it's also $70 for the safety glasses and $95 for the Rx lenses, so almost $200 vs. $130 for just the lenses for my Wileys. Definitely something to think about.

Maksim, thanks for reminding me. I did try going to Walmart to see if they had Rx safety glasses, but the vision center was closed (it was 1pm, I have no idea why), and forgot to go back. Are yours safety glasses or just a cheap pair of rx glasses that you wouldn't be bothered if they broke? Unfortunately for me I pretty much need mine all the time, or at least when I want to see detail. I could drive without them just fine but I can't read signs until they're close.

I honestly never gave it much thought. I have glasses and just...wear my glasses. I also have RX sunglasses that I use sometimes, usually if I am shooting with snow on the ground or on a really sunny day.

I think I also felt to spend money on lenses and a new frame, or some specific RX shooting glasses, I'd much rather just buy a case or two of ammo!

I, too, wear ESS ICE glasses with the Rx insert, but not the vice insert - that uses monofilament to hold the lenses in. They make a polymer-framed insert also, which will hold lenses with a greater degree of correction than the vice insert (11 vs. 6 IIRC). On ebay I got two complete pairs of glasses - one dark tint, one clear - for $29.99. Found the Rx insert, also on ebay for $14 and had my optician make lenses and install them in the insert for $125 - all in < $170 and I just switch the insert from the tinted glasses to the clear ones depending on whether I'm shooting indoors or out.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Maksim, thanks for reminding me. I did try going to Walmart to see if they had Rx safety glasses, but the vision center was closed (it was 1pm, I have no idea why), and forgot to go back. Are yours safety glasses or just a cheap pair of rx glasses that you wouldn't be bothered if they broke? Unfortunately for me I pretty much need mine all the time, or at least when I want to see detail. I could drive without them just fine but I can't read signs until they're close.

They are real glasses. lol. And I would be bothered if they broke. Fortunately, Wally world gives you a 1 or 2 year guarantee against any scratches or breaks.

I did see the polymer insert for ESS, but I don't know how I feel about having the frame in my vision. Or are they large enough that you can't really see it? If they're close enough to your face that they're completely out of your vision, then I may choose those given they're probably more secure than the monofilament ones.

I have been wearing glasses since I was a kid. I've always just worn them while shooting. I do have some leather side shields somewhere that I can use if a range or something insists. I've never put them on my glasses other than to test for fit.

I have a pair of these but I admit I usually don't use them. They work well though.

You can get something similar on amazon.com for around 8 bucks. They have

yellow, clear, and tinted.

446lg.jpg

I have been wearing glasses since I was a kid. I've always just worn them while shooting. I do have some leather side shields somewhere that I can use if a range or something insists. I've never put them on my glasses other than to test for fit.

My buddy who wear glasses does the same thing....not really "safety glasses" but still something between gun and eyes.....i guess to each their own

I had the ess ICE system with the polymer insert. Effectively tossed them because my prescription is expensive enough that paying for shops to screw up the wrap was not worth it. I couldn't relaly blame the shops either. They plastic insert flexes significantly when put in the frame.

I currently use rudy project exceptions as they permit for pretty significant prescriptions. The glasses are expensive, the Rx done right was expensive, but I get edge to edge clarity like I haven't had since I started needing glasses. Probably about $550 for the whole shebang.

If yu go that route, the photochromic clear impact X lenses are what you want on the outside for shooting IMO.

I did see the polymer insert for ESS, but I don't know how I feel about having the frame in my vision. Or are they large enough that you can't really see it? If they're close enough to your face that they're completely out of your vision, then I may choose those given they're probably more secure than the monofilament ones.

They sit close to the lens and close to your face. I had the same concern, but bought them anyway, since I'm a cheapskate. It is a non-issue - not even aware of them.

Raz-o. I suspect it was more your optician than the insert. I have no issues and have clear side to side vision. Mine are made only in my distance perscription, as I wear progressives normally (I don't even like that term when it applies to glasses). It may just be that some inserts lend themselves to different Rx's better than others. I'm happy with my ESS's.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Be very careful with material of the glasses you wear when shooting, The whole point of wearing eye protection is to keep crap from your eyeballs, and it would seem silly to me to wear glasses that might shatter on impact making one flying item into many. These things are rated for impact or not for a very good reason.

We are engaged in a expensive hobby, do not skimp out on the one thing that can save your eyes, which do not grow back.

My choice is again Rudy with ImpactX photochromatic outer lenses (think transitions lenses made of out the same stuff they make combat helicopter cockpit windows) with prescription inserts behind them. Because my prescription is a lot lighter then raz-0's I get away with the whole package being cheaper, I think around $350. This also allows me to protect the prescription insert form damage because it hides behind the real shields. I also wear the same glasses doing the lawn, driving in bright light, hiking, etc so it is isn't like they are a uni-tasker. In my case I use the Rudy Project Rydon's with the photchromatic clear lenses (clear goes from darn near clear usable for indoor shooting, to dark enough to block ALMOST the brightest sun, on the brightest days I sometimes have to switch lenses to a darker one).

• Like 1

Be very careful with material of the glasses you wear when shooting, The whole point of wearing eye protection is to keep crap from your eyeballs, and it would seem silly to me to wear glasses that might shatter on impact making one flying item into many. These things are rated for impact or not for a very good reason.

We are engaged in a expensive hobby, do not skimp out on the one thing that can save your eyes, which do not grow back.

^^^^^^^^

This...

I wear the ESS ICE also. I bought mine on EBAY with 3 lens kit (Clear, Tint, Yellow) for $29.99. I also bought the wire RX insert on EBAY for $30. I had my prescription filled for $85 from my optician. Great glasses and very easy to swap out the lenses.

I use Revision Sawfly. Seem to work well and you can find 20%+ discount coupons on the Internet. I ended up choosing the Revisions after researching on the Internet and also found that Anthony at GunForHire uses them (and has discount vouchers). Since they come with interchangeable lenses I can quickly switch from clear, smoked, yellow etc while only having 1 prescription insert which keeps the costs down.

In my view it's worth paying to protect your eyesight and hearing...

TheWombat

I have a pair of these but I admit I usually don't use them. They work well though.

You can get something similar on amazon.com for around 8 bucks. They have

yellow, clear, and tinted.

446lg.jpg

I bought these as well, they work fine I just felt a little goofy so paid the extra for the Revision Sawfly and I keep the NRA ones as spares for visitors and backup

TheWombat

You really want a wrap around when anywhere a hot range. In the past 30 years I have seen some splash back, etc and I have been hit with a ton of stuff. Also remember when on a range if you are observing to teaching you are excising the side of your eyes with regular glasses. Get wrap arounds asap. I can tolerate a fleck hitting me anywhere on my body except my eyes.

I bought these as well, they work fine I just felt a little goofy so paid the extra for the Revision Sawfly and I keep the NRA ones as spares for visitors and backup

TheWombat

Please do not wear those in public! LOL I purchased a pair also to try, I am saving them for when I am 80 and living in Florida and visiting the local Walmart!

Thanks for all the good input so far. I think I've been convinced into the ESS ICE setup. I'm just trying to research them and see what I actually need and want and where to get it (kind of difficult at the moment since I just got back from having my eyes dilated at the eye dr so I can't see a damn thing right now). The ESS website isn't really the greatest for researching and shopping, but I'm looking into ebay too at the recommendation of several of you.

... I keep the NRA ones as spares for visitors and backup

TheWombat

Hmm...... now I know where I stand. Not sure which is better, a visitor or a backup?

Please do not wear those in public! LOL I purchased a pair also to try, I am saving them for when I am 80 and living in Florida and visiting the local Walmart!

I feel so proud, thanks to Mr. Wombat.

off to Walmart I go.

• Like 1

They sit close to the lens and close to your face. I had the same concern, but bought them anyway, since I'm a cheapskate. It is a non-issue - not even aware of them.

Raz-o. I suspect it was more your optician than the insert. I have no issues and have clear side to side vision. Mine are made only in my distance perscription, as I wear progressives normally (I don't even like that term when it applies to glasses). It may just be that some inserts lend themselves to different Rx's better than others. I'm happy with my ESS's.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

The monofilament insert with a light prescription is probably ok. The polymer one looks like poor engineering that would require the person making the lens to compensate for.

If someone wants to learn my lesson, I think I still have the whole set tucked away someplace minus the red/brown lens which I'm pretty sure didn't make it to the new place when I moved.

Not sure what your prescription is, but if you start getting to the high 4's or more be carefull what you try to get. The ICE inserts are no good once > -4.5, Wileys Say they are good to -5 but peripheral vision is very distorted.

I'm at -5 so I wound up get a pair of Randolph Enginneering glasses. They look like normal glasses but have a very heavy duty frame and can handle almost any prescription.

When buying glasses DO NOT cheap out on the frames. If the lense gets knocked out of a frame, its almost guaranteed to hit your eye.

My rx is fairly mild I think. I'm only at -0.75x-1.00 and 0x-1.50, so I think I'm good with pretty much any of the inserts, but I'm leaning more towards the polymer insert for a better hold on the lens as opposed to the Vice monofilament one.

I have the Randolph Rangers. Seed Optical in Bridgewater is where I bought them as the optometrist there is a shooter himself. He will design/cut the lens differently depending on your sport. For example I shoot clay targets so the focal point(I'm sure it's called something else) is above center on the lens. For pistol shooters he centers it. I like the ranger system but it can get pricey. Every time your Rx changes start reaching for your wallet. Ranger also makes a model called the Sporter which is a fixed lens and you can get different colored clip lenses to put over them. That would probably be more economical.