Maestro23

New ar-15/m4 help!

I'm in the market to buy an new m4. I've been to two shops that are local to me (hauges and bob's) they didn't seem to carry what I'm lookin for. I was wondering if anyone can help me out. Im really looking into the rock river operator or a bcm. Is there any shops around that have a good variety that you guys would recommend? Thanks

There's many different options with RRA/BCM. What barrel length are you looking for? Carbine, Midlength or Rifle gas system? Rails or handguards? Flat top or carry handle upper? There's so many different ways you can get one, you can't just give a brand name. That's like saying "I want a car....... but I want a Chevy or Ford......" ... but what model? :p

I think he's looking for a shop so he can get a feel for what he wants/needs.

I have an RRA operator 2, they put the fixed operator stock on it and pinned the brake at no extra charge and gavee me 2 10rd mags + the hard case. total cost was 1k w/ the free eotech co-witness rear site.

Rifle is def. on the heavy side, due to the heavy barrel and handguard. Its not intolerable, but noticable.

I would highly recomend it if they are willing to swap on a gov. profile barrel, i would have asked them but i didnt figure it out until i got it, otherwise i would just piece together a BCM. I have since purchased a Light weight barrel from BCM which is getting installed soon.

BCM will not customize anything for you, what is on their site is what u can order. RRA takes about a month to assemble something specifically for you, but u have to order through an FFL.

get a lower in house from anyone local to you.. Paul (PK90) is great..

then shop for the upper and lower parts..

the upper can come pretty much together shipped right to your door..

the lower you can put together with simple hand tools..

this will net you EXACTLY what you want.. for what its worth last time I was at PK90s shop there were some uppers there as well.. don't remember what.. but they were there..

I am not that into ARs but almost done putting one together now.. if you can play with legos.. you can make an AR..

I'm in the market to buy an new m4. I've been to two shops that are local to me (hauges and bob's) they didn't seem to carry what I'm lookin for. I was wondering if anyone can help me out. Im really looking into the rock river operator or a bcm. Is there any shops around that have a good variety that you guys would recommend? Thanks

Bob's has always ordered anything I have wanted. They recently ordered a Colt MT6400R for me, transaction was quick and no hassle.

That was the 2nd rifle I orderd from Bob's, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I know in south/central Cheyenne Outfitters (aka Harrys) had S&W AR's for $599 during the fall..

Not sure now..

As the others have said.. maybe buy a compliant lower with an A2 or 'pinned' stock and then just order the upper from BCM's site with the PWS 556 Comp pinned already and they will ship it to you directly.

There is also the Accessory Arms site or Arms-n-Ammo.. on this forum whom do pin/weld jobs on uppers.

BCM seems to only give you options for a muzzle break on their 14.5" uppers. If you wanted a 16" or larger the muzzle break will be up to you to have installed and pinned. Luckily for me i wanted a 14.5" so I got the 14.5" lightweight middy with the PWS 556 compensator pinned right from BCM. I was in your same shoes a few months ago. I wanted an AR but knew very little about them and was hesitant to build my own. After days of research on numerous websites I decided to build and couldn't be happier. Very easy to assemble, I would definately say to build it how you want it instead of buying an off the shelf gun.

I know in south/central Cheyenne Outfitters (aka Harrys) had S&W AR's for $599 during the fall..

Not sure now..

As the others have said.. maybe buy a compliant lower with an A2 or 'pinned' stock and then just order the upper from BCM's site with the PWS 556 Comp pinned already and they will ship it to you directly.

There is also the Accessory Arms site or Arms-n-Ammo.. on this forum whom do pin/weld jobs on uppers.

Thanks all for the input. I've went out searching this weekend and looked at a few different brands/models(bushmaster,colt,dpms,olympic,windham weaponry). I was pretty impressed with the windham weaponry. Any thoughts?

where did you see that? how much was it? what did you like about it? not familiar with the company...

where did you see that? how much was it? what did you like about it? not familiar with the company...

Windham is made up of several of the guys who worked at Bushmaster before they were bought out and moved.

Whatever you look at, I'd focus on mid-length gas systems. An easy way to get what you want is to order a what is called a "complete lower", which is the bottom half of the AR, usually comes with a stock. The stock will have to be fixed, or you can get an adjustable one and ask your dealer to "pin it" for you. You will problably want to go in and test out a few adjustable positions so the dealer knows which one you want it pinned at.

While you are waiting for your complete lower from your dealer, you can shop till you drop for AR "complete uppers". Make sure it comes with a Bolt-Carrier-Group (aka , BCG) and charging handle. You don't need a license/permit/FID to order complete uppers to your door. Once you have both parts, you simply slap them together and push in the take-down pins. Bingo, you have the AR of your dreams. My last two AR's have used BCM complete uppers, IMO you can't go wrong. They are pricey, but they use top quality components and shoot excellent.

Good luck!

+1 for the above. BCM makes solid equipment. When they get a batch of uppers made, they can go out of stock very quickly.

However, as noted elsewhere, if you want a Jersey Legal upper with a suppressor from them, you are limited to the 14.5 model, because that is the only one they will pin and weld in house. If you order a longer upper, make sure you can arrange for someone to mount a compensator for you.

You can have the upper shipped to you with a threaded barrel + flash hider no problem provided that you do not have the other parts to make a complete AR, such as the lower receiver. If you don't have the lower yet, you are good to go.

Other ways of doing this even after you get your lower are to have the upper shipped to a friends or relative's house who does not have any other AR parts. Then you can take the upper to your gunsmith and have a muzzle brake pin/welded. After that you can bring it hope and marry it to your lower to make the complete rifle.

Just take the bayo lug off and its will be legal. If you look around you can find that upper cheaper though, I got my Spikes 14.5" midlength for $550.

Can't tell if it has a bayo lug or not - if it does it has to be grinded off (not hard).

That blind pinning job doesn't look the greatest, however.

Yep it has the bayo lug on it, and thats the factory pin & weld right from Spikes (my 14.5" looks almost the same)