Shawnmoore81

Parents make me sick

Last night I was at my sons cub scout meeting. We have been working on the pine wood derby cars and last night was kind of like the test and tune before the race. The actual race is this Saturday. Now the kids were given their cars weeks ago and last night 2 kids showed up with te kits still in the boxes unopened. Now this is something parents are suppose to help with us we have had 2 works shops. This type of **** absolutely pisses me off. I know one of this kids grandfathers so I plan on calling him today and telling him to bring the kid by so we get get sOmething going for him. Another dad took the other kids number. This is a prime example of what is wrong with the world today.

Last night I was at my sons cub scout meeting. We have been working on the pine wood derby cars and last night was kind of like the test and tune before the race. The actual race is this Saturday. Now the kids were given their cars weeks ago and last night 2 kids showed up with te kits still in the boxes unopened. Now this is something parents are suppose to help with us we have had 2 works shops. This type of **** absolutely pisses me off. I know one of this kids grandfathers so I plan on calling him today and telling him to bring the kid by so we get get sOmething going for him. Another dad took the other kids number. This is a prime example of what is wrong with the world today.

Yep, I agree this is sad and not a good thing for the kid. That being said, we don't know the entire story either. What's wrong with the world today is that same kid that doesn't have a father in his life at all. Is this father othewise there for the kid and does he provide for the kid? We probably won't know for sure. It's the fathers who have nothing to do with their kids that I have the biggest issue with. The destruction of the family as it used to be "back in the day" is "what is wrong with the world today".

I didnt realize places made cars. Lol wow.

Well I have exhaust, a driver and steering wheel for the car we will add after the race. The cars maximum allowed weight is 5 ounces. Last night on the scales it came in at

Depending on which scale so the car is dead on for weight. The clearance is perfect also. Sucks I bought cragers for it but you have to run BSA wheels.

My son and I are working on ours. :icon_cool: I spent a few hours last Sunday "polishing" the axles and we're still working on our design. I pretty much do most of the manual work but my son decides on the styling and he does the paint job.

I have some kids from our den bringing their "blocks" to my garage so that we can cut them into the style that they like.

Yeah, my 7yo son and i have been working on his car for a couple of weeks now.

Hell, i felt real bad forcing him to spend time polishing the axles and wheels instead of playing video games like he wanted.

But there's also a flip side to this which is equally as sad. The Dad's that completely take over the project and don't let the kids help at all.

Man - I remember when I did the Pinewood Derby almost 20 years ago. I was in the Webelos so I was old enough to do the car myself. 100% done myself, painted, etc. Won my races and went on to the finals. It was underweight too.

I came in dead last in the finals - they were all younger kids who's dads did the car 100%. Smooth curved lines and special weights sunk in to them... no way the kids could have done anything on them. Not even paint.

That pissed me off pretty bad even then when I was 11. You're not supposed to do it for them - you're supposed to SUPERVISE and HELP.

I don't know about all that.

could be that the kid did nothing and refused to stop watching TV enough to do something on the car. So the parent says "well, you leave it in the box, we go with an unopened box. I'm not going to do it for you."

When I was a kid you couldn't keep me from at least opening the box and looking at the parts of something like that.

Man - I remember when I did the Pinewood Derby almost 20 years ago. I was in the Webelos so I was old enough to do the car myself. 100% done myself, painted, etc. Won my races and went on to the finals. It was underweight too.

I came in dead last in the finals - they were all younger kids who's dads did the car 100%. Smooth curved lines and special weights sunk in to them... no way the kids could have done anything on them. Not even paint.

That pissed me off pretty bad even then when I was 11. You're not supposed to do it for them - you're supposed to SUPERVISE and HELP.

THIS

What they dont realize is that they are cheating their sons out of a great opportunity to learn how to work with tools AND also great bonding opportunity with each other.

2 sides of the coin here - the parents that will do nothing with the kid and the parents that will take the project entirely away from the kid so that the parents aren't embarrassed when they (oh I mean their kid) loses.

I rarely see the situation down the middle where the kid did most of the car and the parents just supervised. Both situations are sad all the way around.

2 sides of the coin here - the parents that will do nothing with the kid and the parents that will take the project entirely away from the kid so that the parents aren't embarrassed when they (oh I mean their kid) loses.

I rarely see the situation down the middle where the kid did most of the car and the parents just supervised. Both situations are sad all the way around.

Tell me about it, I thought I had a winner of a situation, my Daughter love VW Bugs and wants one. We jumped on the Harley a few years ago to a air-cooled show, only old VW's and some Porches. Well we were all set to pick up an old late 60's or early 70's bug and redo it completely. Full engine, trans, driveline and the rest. Well she found out that they didn't have A/C and it all went out the window. Kids, can't please them all the time.. :icon_mrgreen:

I can't wait to have a kid and help him with his car like my dad helped me with mine. My dad supervised but I did all the work, from cutting the rough shape on the bandsaw, to sanding, painting, drilling the bottom for weights, polishing axles, wheels, etc. Only one first place overall finish though.

still got mine , somewhere, that I made in late 60s. Lime metallic green(like my dads 68 Cougar) old Grand Prix style.We did it right, dad looked and made suggestions, was the first thing i probably built with tools. Also did it again with my son. he wasnt into it and it showed! Some(most?) of the other cars where most definatly not built by kids. I also remember the dads crowding out the kids during race time and hooting like they had money on the races.

I can't wait to have a kid and help him with his car like my dad helped me with mine. My dad supervised but I did all the work, from cutting the rough shape on the bandsaw, to sanding, painting, drilling the bottom for weights, polishing axles, wheels, etc. Only one first place overall finish though.

I was the only kid on the block with a father who owned a machine shop for my go-carts/soapbox style. I was able to use round rod on them with cotter pins and washers to hold my wheels on, the other kids has threaded rod with a bunch of nuts and washers. Not only were the threaded rod not as strong, but wheels coming off going down the hill made for some fun rides, but I didn't see all their crashed being they were behind me.. The biggest problem was brakes, we didn't have them, big hills were challenging.. :icon_mrgreen:

I reimember when I did my first one, We were told the kids had to do them all by ourselves. I did everything and the only thing my dad helped me with was the painting since he didnt want me playing with spray paint. When we went to the derby all the kids cars looked like they were profesinally done. NO WAY were they done by them. My freinds even told me they didnt even build them. That use to piss me off. lol

What? That you and another dad stepped up to the plate to help out another family? I'd say your actions (and the other dad's) are what's right with this world, you just don't realize it. I bet the grandfather enjoyed talking to you.

One year our den leader told us the kids were to do most of the work on the cars. All I did was polish the axels and help with the wheels. Car came out nice, but when we went to the pinewood derby the den leaders kids had a car that looked like a pro wood worker made it and a body shop painted it. Pissed me off but my son had a good time making it. From building these cars for 7 years in a row with 2 sons, I now have a band saw and a lead melting electric pot to put the weight exactly where we needed it. We won a few times but never wanted to move on and go to the big regional race.

One year our den leader told us the kids were to do most of the work on the cars. All I did was polish the axels and help with the wheels. Car came out nice, but when we went to the pinewood derby the den leaders kids had a car that looked like a pro wood worker made it and a body shop painted it. Pissed me off but my son had a good time making it. From building these cars for 7 years in a row with 2 sons, I now have a band saw and a lead melting electric pot to put the weight exactly where we needed it. We won a few times but never wanted to move on and go to the big regional race.

Did the den leader become a politician?