Tosser

How many of you have taken professional training?

Training  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How many training classes have you taken?

• One
    • Multiple Classes with one provider
    • Multiple Classes with multiple providers
  2. 2. Did you feel it was worth the time/effort/cost?

3. 3. Have your friends/family taken training with you?

MDTS classes. I've taken all three weapon platform(carbine, pistol, shotgun) classes at least once, if not more.

Old Combat Pistol/Action Pistol Club with Art @ SJSC

Signed up for some new stuff this year already with different instructors.

Tactical Response:

Fighting Pistol

Advanced Fighting Pistol

Fighting Rifle

Advanced Fighting Rifle

Full Auto AK Operator

HRCC: Shooting Package

MDTS:

Carbine 1-4

Pistol 1-4

(Some of the above have been taking multiple times)

Excluding .mil and medical classes

This Year:

NE Shooter Summit 2012

Kyle Lamb VTAC 1.5

Armed Dynamics LLC Revolver/BUG

MDTS Pistol 1+2 repeat.

Working an angle to get Southnarc AMIS or ECQC here for 2013.

I don't get nearly as much training as I want at work. I really need to take more. What would be geared towards LE

Having gone to the range with some municipal LEOs I can say its disappointing the level an average "street" cop is trained to.

Its a matter of personal preference and price you're willing to pay. These class's listed aren't directly targeted to LEO.

$185 for an MDTS pistol class and do it in your duty gear would be my suggestion for NJ local.

MDTS (Pistol, Carbine, Shotgun)

Southnarc (AMIS)

Tactical Response (Fighting Pistol and Rifle)

Mid-atlantic self defense summit (Pincus, Fry, Gomez, etc)

Sig Arms (low light)

Defiance Fight Gear (Force on force)

Too many NRA classes taken (and waaaaay too many taught) to list

And Im sure Im missing some... I should really write these things down.

This year:

NE Shooters Summit (April)

Tactical Response Alumni Weekend and Force on Force (July)

1 defensive pistol class and/or carbine class (tbd)

1 long range rifle class (tbd)

MDTS Carbine 1 & 2.

I am extremely excited to take the pistol courses and to see the relationship between shooting sports and how it relates to defensive training.

End of the day, at least right now, I am all about the gun sports. I know my weakneses, and best case scenario, I hope for a zombie apocolapse... because if that happens, at least I can use my USPSA Rig, race belt, race holster gun platform. Will find some big mags and go defend the free world with 9mm major ammo. :rofl:

That's rather narrow-minded of you Ray. I wish you luck in the zombie apocalypse.

It was a joke Nicky.

I'd like to learn basic first aid, especially since the sport we are in it would be nice to know what to do If (God forbid) someone gets shot or cut.

• Like 2

I typed up a long reply, but it got lost when I hit submit, so let me try this again:

I have taken a LOT of training classes with around 12 different instructors (not counting NRA classes), so as you can tell I am a bit of a training junky.

What interests me the most in this thread is how many of us train with friends. When I first started training, quite a few years ago, I went by myself, and must admit that I was a little apprehensive and intimidated. Fortunately I had a great instructor, and a great group of guys to train with, many of whom I am friends with today.

Now when I go to training classes I generally go with some friends (and I voted that way in the poll), but even if I don't go with friends I know some of them will be there in the class, as the majority of the friends I have on this forum I have met at training classes. I have also met a few from competition, and through Paul/PK90 . I have trained with the most of the posters in this thread, have been at most of the classes listed, and look forward to a bunch of great classes in the next few months.

I'd like to learn basic first aid, especially since the sport we are in it would be nice to know what to do If (God forbid) someone gets shot or cut.

Good post Ray, as first aid may one of the most important skills. Several trainers that I have trained with did segments on in extremis medical care during lunch, and those may have been the most useful portions of the class. Consequently I carry a blow out kit in may range bag, in my car, and in my backpack when I hike.

Unfortunately, when they offer the same stuff as a standalone class no one seems to sign up. Maybe we can get Tosser, with his background, to arrange some good first aid/in extremis medical classes?

Does combat kamite count? I didn't see it listed.

I Googled combat kamite, and I am still not sure what you are talking about?

Unfortunately, when they offer the same stuff as a standalone class no one seems to sign up. Maybe we can get Tosser, with his background, to arrange some good first aid/in extremis medical classes?

I'd be interested in something like that, I didn't know Nick was a first aid guy. Oh wait, he's a paramedic. Oops

I'd be interested in something like that, I didn't know Nick was a first aid guy. Oh wait, he's a paramedic. Oops

Sure. I can do anything from informal oh **** stuff to an ITLS class. Let me know.

FOR FREE!

Sure. I can do anything from informal oh **** stuff to an ITLS class. Let me know.

FOR FREE!

I would be interested in that Nick... let me know when youre going to put something together.