JaredC

pistol permits renewal (told no such thing)

well my pistol permits expired the 8th of this month... went to the police station yesterday to see the cop i dealt with to get my fid and permits originally..... he was not in yesterday and neither was the other gun cop.... so i was told he is in today.... i go rite after work with the 3 unused permits and he goes you can not renew them there is no such thing as an extension.... gives me another form to fill out and tells me to put my 2 original references....

am i being lied too? etc etc etc.....

how do i file a claim if he was wrong?

Just keep in mind that renewal is optional, and up to the police department/chief.

2C:58-3 f. Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants. A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. Etc...

• Like 1

you can also print a copy of the law and bring it back there. I think I saw the actual statute posted somewhere on this site.

I guess you could go with this

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.7 Validity of firearms identification card and permit to purchase a handgun

(b) A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance

and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. In no event

shall a permit to purchase a handgun be valid for more than 180 days from the date the permit was

originally issued.

But it seems to leave "good cause" open to the department's interpretation. Does this usually fly through without any issues for everyone else?

To say that there is "no such thing" is just wrong. However, it is discretionary and your local PD may choose not to extend them. All it really requires is the chief's signature and insertion of the new expiration date (180 days from date of issue). If there was "no such thing" ask them to explain the blank fields on your permits for the chief's signature and the new date. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

To say that there is "no such thing" is just wrong. However, it is discretionary and your local PD may choose not to extend them. All it really requires is the chief's signature and insertion of the new expiration date (180 days from date of issue). If there was "no such thing" ask them to explain the blank fields on your permits for the chief's signature and the new date. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

POI: The extra block is for the renewal date. No extra signature needed. The person who renews it usually initials next to the renewal date.

thanks for all the info......

will let you know what happened.... but this is the same dept that took almost a year to get my fid card.... claimed one of the references didnt send in and i know for a fact they mailed it rite in town.....

well my pistol permits expired the 8th of this month... went to the police station yesterday to see the cop i dealt with to get my fid and permits originally..... he was not in yesterday and neither was the other gun cop.... so i was told he is in today.... i go rite after work with the 3 unused permits and he goes you can not renew them there is no such thing as an extension.... gives me another form to fill out and tells me to put my 2 original references....

am i being lied too? etc etc etc.....

how do i file a claim if he was wrong?

From what I know, he's wrong, however you're still screwed aren't you? You can't expect them to extend them AFTER they've expired.

From what I know, he's wrong, however you're still screwed aren't you? You can't expect them to extend them AFTER they've expired.

so how long is average time until i get new permits then when i hand in the paperwork

they were issued 11/08/11 but i didnt get them until he called me on the 15th

The wole point of an extension is FOR expired permits. The extension date always begins the day AFTER they expired for an additional 90 days, no matter when u renew them. You could walk in on the 179th day, get it extended for 1 day and puy a pistol that day.

Not necessarily true. Many departments will tell you no, as they can, and extensions are their power to do so.

Some departments will tell you to bring them in the week they expire, some before, some after. Some will tell you to just apply for new permits.

Not necessarily true. Many departments will tell you no, as they can, and extensions are their power to do so.

Some departments will tell you to bring them in the week they expire, some before, some after. Some will tell you to just apply for new permits.

Yeah, every PD is different, i was just giving an example of the extreme.

The renewal should be done prior to 90 days from the issued date, because if they are done afterwards, they have already expired. BTW, they expire on 2/6/2012.

Nothing in the statute states an expired permit cannot be extended, only that a permit can be good for a max of 180 days if extended. I have in fact renewed permits a month expired. The obvious answer is to just ask your PD for future reference.