Sign in to follow this  
hiker88

PMAG torture test vs other ar mags

Heh, the feed lips are probably the weakest point on Pmags, albeit it would still take quite a bit of effort. I have broken them before, and have seen them break in-action, as it was happening. In all cases, it was from the magazines having sat in the cold for extended amounts of time, and then dropped directly on said feed lips (these were also, in my case, roughly used magazines that had been in use for quite some time).

From what I heard, and I think it was also brought up on this forum prior, but USMC has stopped issuing PMags. Not sure if it was a technical thing, or a contract thing though.

ETA: The magazines I've seen break were mostly FDE as well. Most respected opinions from the community agree that these are more susceptible because they are a weaker polymer compared to the black or OD PMags.

I have dropped a lot of mags on the ground during training, and while I have destroyed the feedlips on about 10-12 aluminum mags doing so on hard surfaces, I have yet to break the feedlips on a pmag.

Heh, the feed lips are probably the weakest point on Pmags, albeit it would still take quite a bit of effort. I have broken them before, and have seen them break in-action, as it was happening. In all cases, it was from the magazines having sat in the cold for extended amounts of time, and then dropped directly on said feed lips (these were also, in my case, roughly used magazines that had been in use for quite some time).

From what I heard, and I think it was also brought up on this forum prior, but USMC has stopped issuing PMags. Not sure if it was a technical thing, or a contract thing though.

ETA: The magazines I've seen break were mostly FDE as well. Most respected opinions from the community agree that these are more susceptible because they are a weaker polymer compared to the black or OD PMags.

Weak point is the spine of the mag. A crack develops with use. Feed lips don't necessarily weaken on PMAGs so much as they snap off. I've seen both failures on the range. Make no mistake, while PMAGs are a vast improvement over the original USGI mag, they are not perfect. They happen to be one of the best options, though :)

As for color, what causes the colored mags to be weaker than the black mags are the addition of dyes. The dyes have different cooling rates and therefore through some voodoo of chemistry that I don't pretend to understand, the resulting colored mags are weaker than their black counterparts.

how much weaker though. im sure short of going through years of combat, a FDE mag will never fail in the life of a citizen.....but has there been any research done in the life expectancy of a colored vs. black mag

Tracked, hard data? Maybe at Magpul. From a real world usage standpoint, instructors see failures in classes. A good friend of mine shoots a fair bit and he's broken three OD PMAGs within a year or two of purchase. All failed at the spine.