JaredC

Bullethole experience (thumbs down)

I must disagree, on the RWS comment, the 9mm is made is Switzerland, My experiences with it has been it is a clean burning accurate round.

I Goggled the Sparking Aluminum Issue and did not come up with any examples ,I could beleave steal cased sparking.

Any how, I shall leave this for another thread on another Day.

I've used MFS brass cased 9mm ammo and found it clean and consistent. It's definitely cleaner than Speer Lawman ammo. It also chrono'd well when checked at OBRPC. I won't hesitate to buy a case again if it goes back on sale at Cabela's. :)

Don't think we'll be visiting that range.............thanks for the heads up.

Don't take the interwebz word for it. If it isn't too much of a drive for you, you ought to give it a shot (oops pun) just to make your own call.

• Like 1

I just wanted to share my experience with the Bullet Hole as well. I've visited this range maybe 15 times. The RO that many people have spoken of was rather rude and overbearing the first few visits. After he had seen my face and seen me shoot on a more regular basis, he was much nicer and pretty much let me be after the standard speech that everyone gets each visit. The counter staff has not been very friendly and inviting. It's very difficult to get waited on. When I have been able to get the attention of staff, they often take phone calls or try to help other people in the middle of waiting me. On my last visit I was asked to show them what ammo I had brought. Unfortunately my ammo is always locked up in an ammo box in my range bag, so getting out my ammo at the sales counter is a pain due to a lack of available counter space and the amount of space for customers in the showroom. The sales person proceeded to take a phone call while I was trying to comply with his request. I was then dealt with by hand gestures for the rest of the transaction. There are many more examples of similar service. Overall, I have not had a good experience with customer service at the Bullet Hole. The shop and range are somewhat small and very cramped. There really isn't space for more than about 3 or 4 people to move around comfortably in the showroom in my opinion. Often it is difficult to even get in the door. The range is not much better. There is inventory storage throughout the range making it difficult to more around. There is little space to set down a range bag to comfortably work out of for your range time. Several times I have been rudely asked to get my stuff out of the way so a sales person could access sales inventory in the range. It just isn't a very pleasant experience to make a quick visit for an hour of range time. I have continued to go to the Bullet Hole only due to it's proximity to my house. This past weekend I took a trip out to RTSP with a friend on a recommendation from a mutual friend we share. RTSP is significantly farther from where I live than the Bullet Hole, but I had a completely different experience there. It is not cramped, staff is very friendly and inviting, and the RO's do their job while still being friendly. After one visit to RTSP I have come to the decision that I will be purchasing a membership. I would rather go to a closer range, but I have decided that the extra travel is worth a significantly more enjoyable experience. I imagine that I will still shoot at the Bullet Hole a few times a year to blow off some steam after a bad day because it is so close, but RTSP has definitely earned my business as my range of choice.

• Like 1

It is my belief that ranges don;t like steel case because:

A) they don't want to seperate it from brass\

B) they don't get paid for it like brass

Mikey,

That is a part of it, but those are just the extras, there really is a concern for sparking. I would venture to guess, insurance might have a say about it too.

I know out in Vegas, I visited a range, and they had sticky pads on the range, when you exist, to trap all the unburned gun powder. Recently read about static electricity blowing up a full primer tube there too.

I know out in Vegas, I visited a range, and they had sticky pads on the range, when you exist, to trap all the unburned gun powder. Recently read about static electricity blowing up a full primer tube there too.

Is that why RTSP has a sticky mat in the sound room before you exit into the shop?

Christ. I almost want to go to this place, just once, just to experience all the nonsense you guys are depicting.

If you go on a good day and it's empty then you'll be thinking it's not that bad. If you go on a day when you pay for your range time and walk in to an hour wait and your standing side by side next to strangers and you can't move or anything then you'll say it IS that bad!

• Like 1

I've been following thread and decided to share my experience at the BH.

I used to only go to BH before I found this forum. To me they were the only range and gun shop around. Another option was Rahway but their price was always higher. My very first firearms transfer after I got my FID and permit to purchase was for 2 handguns totaling $3000 in value. They charged me sales tax on that and it was not chunk change. I was confused but being my first transfer I didn't know better and paid the tax. When asked their response was "blame Corzine". Now I am still unsure if this was ever a law but I have never been charged tax anywhere after that including BH. That really left a sour taste in my mouth.

The staff..... I always had very good experience with the owner, he's a top notch guy and always patient and helpful. He even gave me pretty good discounts once in a while after I became a regular. I also had overall good experience with the ladies there, they are always very nice. The owner's son however, never gave any breaks and always charge me max on transfers, Their price was $50 per gun + NICS + tax. Once I was getting 2 mosins and the transfer fee was almost as much as the rifles after tax. Not to say he did anything wrong but I simply took my business somewhere else after getting to know other dealers through this forum. I couldn't be happier doing my transfers at Hackettstown G&A. Half the price and always received quick service. I don't think it was very wise of the son not giving me ANY breaks since the owner always did. I do a lot of transfers and he simply lost the business.

I will still go there if I want something right now since they seem to have very well stocked inventory. Their price is OK but are not very flexible(unless I deal directly with the owner).

As far as the range there. Yes the older RO can be a real AHole. I know he's trying to do his job but you dont' have to be screaming at the customers when you try to get your point across or be sarcastic. After he knows you he'll back off a bit but like others have said every once in a while he'll be having a bad day and be extra rude. All the other ROs are very nice and never gave me any problems. I can only go to the range on weekends so we all know how bad it could get over there. You can't really blame them since they are the only range around and space is limited. I now simply drive to Easton Fish and Game to shoot. They way I look at it, I pay $30 a year for membership for 25yard pistol range/100 yard rifle range. Yes it's a bit further but if you factor in the wait time at BH it comes out to be about the same! I don't have to wait for a port cramped in a room with 10 guys next to me and it has a real rifle range.

In conclusion, BH is not bad if you go during the week when people are at work. If you know what to expect from the older RO then it's a convenient for people around there to get some range time. I don't know if anything will improve there any time soon. I don't see any real competition anywhere close to them and at least on weekends there's more customers than they can handle so it's not like they are losing any by keeping things the same.

I don't see any real competition anywhere close to them and at least on weekends there's more customers than they can handle so it's not like they are losing any by keeping things the same.

That's the real problem right there. There's no competition so it's either shoot there or drive. We really don't have too many shops so they feel they can treat you however they want and charge you what they want (most shops around here at least).

All previous remarks negated. Bullet Hole clearly awesome. If you don't know what a muzzle sweep is, you're probably doing it.

i do not muzzle sweep..... and if someone did that to me i would flip out

Muzzle sweeps are when the a-hole next to you turns and points a gun in your direction when telling his girlfriend just how good a shot he is.............

Loaded or not, a gun NEVER, EVER gets pointed at people, ONLY downrange!

wow.... the fact that you say that plural scares me that you seen it more then once.. i havent witnessed that yet at a range nor done it.... even when my guns are unloaded i always triple check and act as if it is loaded.... thats nuts if that kind of stuff goes on....

Sorry, but I'd choose to not shoot at all rather than having to go through that crap with some j*rkoff associated with the range. Yes, his job is to keep everyone safe, but to not allow head-shots or anything off-center is bullsh*t. As far as holding your shotgun, as long as you're not risking others, he has no business saying anything.

And you guys actually pay real money to get treated like that? Damn, must be chicks putting out in a back room or something that's keeping you there :).

yea i dont understand the no headshot thing.... the whole back wall stop i would hope is good enough from the bottom to the top .... not just 3 ft 6 inches and down lol

i go because its very close and the only indoor range that lets me shoot shotgun and rifle.... soo its a give and take situation..both counter girls are pretty good looking...

Now, when I monitored my cameras today I did notice John walking over to you Jared several times during your session. You shot my target hanger and you took a picture. That is why he talked to you. Realize that my cameras work. When you hit a hanger we need to order new ones because they break.

Please in the future contact me if you have an issue. Stop at the counter on your way out and talk to us. I was there yesterday when this event happened and no one said anything to me. I cannot for the life of me understand why you waited until you got done, got in your car, got home, and got on your computer to complain.

Jennifer

well at least you notice he walked over "several" times to say something... me and my guest absolutley did not shoot the target hanger with the p.o.s. mosin we were using .... complain or not nothing is going to get changed.... a lot of people seem to have some sort of issue with this guy and nothing has been done about it.... i wasnt going to sit there and cry and complain because i am appreciative that i have a local indoor range to shoot shotgun and rifles.....

• Like 1

1. you were shooting a mosin nagant at an indoor range. i would not allow it personally, as most of the backstops are not rated for some ammo, including if you were shooting mil surplus ammo, it is 50/50 if it was hard ball steel core.

2. You were shooting a mosin indoor at a 23 yard range.... how was away was the target?

3. If you take headshots at a target close to you, the bullet does not then after magically hitting paper,, turns direction and go into the back berm.

I would stop posting..... right now.

I just wanted to share my experience with the Bullet Hole as well. I've visited this range maybe 15 times. The RO that many people have spoken of was rather rude and overbearing the first few visits. After he had seen my face and seen me shoot on a more regular basis, he was much nicer and pretty much let me be after the standard speech that everyone gets each visit. The counter staff has not been very friendly and inviting. It's very difficult to get waited on. When I have been able to get the attention of staff, they often take phone calls or try to help other people in the middle of waiting me. On my last visit I was asked to show them what ammo I had brought. Unfortunately my ammo is always locked up in an ammo box in my range bag, so getting out my ammo at the sales counter is a pain due to a lack of available counter space and the amount of space for customers in the showroom. The sales person proceeded to take a phone call while I was trying to comply with his request. I was then dealt with by hand gestures for the rest of the transaction. There are many more examples of similar service. Overall, I have not had a good experience with customer service at the Bullet Hole. The shop and range are somewhat small and very cramped. There really isn't space for more than about 3 or 4 people to move around comfortably in the showroom in my opinion. Often it is difficult to even get in the door. The range is not much better. There is inventory storage throughout the range making it difficult to more around. There is little space to set down a range bag to comfortably work out of for your range time. Several times I have been rudely asked to get my stuff out of the way so a sales person could access sales inventory in the range. It just isn't a very pleasant experience to make a quick visit for an hour of range time. I have continued to go to the Bullet Hole only due to it's proximity to my house. This past weekend I took a trip out to RTSP with a friend on a recommendation from a mutual friend we share. RTSP is significantly farther from where I live than the Bullet Hole, but I had a completely different experience there. It is not cramped, staff is very friendly and inviting, and the RO's do their job while still being friendly. After one visit to RTSP I have come to the decision that I will be purchasing a membership. I would rather go to a closer range, but I have decided that the extra travel is worth a significantly more enjoyable experience. I imagine that I will still shoot at the Bullet Hole a few times a year to blow off some steam after a bad day because it is so close, but RTSP has definitely earned my business as my range of choice.

where is rtsp?

1. you were shooting a mosin nagant at an indoor range. i would not allow it personally, as most of the backstops are not rated for some ammo, including if you were shooting mil surplus ammo, it is 50/50 if it was hard ball steel core.

2. You were shooting a mosin indoor at a 23 yard range.... how was away was the target?

3. If you take headshots at a target close to you, the bullet does not then after magically hitting paper,, turns direction and go into the back berm.

I would stop posting..... right now.

1) i called and explained to them what i had.... they said it was fine to shoot there as well as other high powered rifles...

2) my friend wanted to shoot it... so we took a 10 minute ride to do so.... it was against the back wall....

3) its understandable that the bullet goes through the paper and into the backstop.... i have the target downstairs.. one strayed high and there were two that were upper upper chest rest were in the gut area.....

no no, you dont.

If target is close, and you go for headshot.... the angle of it, will hit the ceiling, and not the backstop. =)

i did not go for a headshot.... one strayed high probably when my friend was shooting to be honest.... i understand

no no, you dont.

If target is close, and you go for headshot.... the angle of it, will hit the ceiling, and not the backstop. =)

I've done "headshots" every time I've shot at the Bullet Hole. I've never had a RO say anything about it. The closest I've done this was probably 20-25 feet though. I suppose then that headshots are fine so long as your target is out far enough that there isn't any risk of hitting the ceiling.

I know the guy you are talking about..I generally give him the stfu look and he does. hes actually not a bad guy ,ive talked with him a couple of times. However im not big fan of the place in geneal because it is way cramped,the owners are not very friendly considering im spending my money there. Joined cherry ridge,now all i have to do is go.. Still have not recieved my membership badge ,not shocked considering some of the things ive read on here about CR

Mikey,

That is a part of it, but those are just the extras, there really is a concern for sparking. I would venture to guess, insurance might have a say about it too.

Interesting, thanks Maks. Makes sense.

I go to the BH every week for an hour range time and about 300-400 rounds like clockwork. The RO (usually the older gentleman) is stern but if you do as you are told and adhere to the rules you will realize he is a pretty alright guy. They are the ranges rules and if you do not like them then simply do not go. Easy as that. On the front end of things I do not exactly like the front store room due to the cramped area but that is more of a layout problem than anything. Thankfully I only shoot during the weekdays so I have not had the chance to see these terrible late night and weekend queues people keep talking about.

The same thing happened to my friend the other day as well though regarding using a rifle. He also just recently purchased a Mosin and shot a bit high on the target which he admits could probably damage the backstop. You cannot expect a pile of loose rubber pieces to be as uniformly thick on top as it is on the bottom.