Not at all..most folks until they've done it, don't realize just HOW simple the process is to go from a box of parts to a functional rifle. I put together a lower during my lunchtime at work on Friday, took me less than 30 min to do it..and only THAT long because i ad to go out into the garage to tap the roll pins in. Literally the HARDEST part of the whole thing on a new build is the muzzle device...and THAT can even be simple if you go with a Cav-Comp or one of the others with the Pin-hole pre-drilled, or go with a Crowned bbl and eliminate it completely. I did the one on my late daughter's .22 with a hand drill..but i've also got access to a welder....and someone who knows how to use it LOL. I'll be putting a sure-fire on my .300 Blk sometime in the next couple of weeks..I'm still deciding if i want to do it myself or send it out to Adco.... The $150 or so once you factor in shipping would buy me 1k of brass

+1 you said it...

the first time I got a Saiga in my hands and had to grind parts off.. it was pretty scary.. the thought of building something or severely altering something that is capable of so much destruction.. IS overwhelming.. that is till you do it.. lol then what becomes scary is just how easy it is! lol

You guys have been quite informing and I'm not sure which route to take, money is an issue at the moment so I'll ponder on all ideas,but there is an AR-15 in the near future thats for sure.I'm kinda leaning towards a build hell if I can work on a 6 million dollar plant I aint afraid of an AR.

You guys have been quite informing and I'm not sure which route to take, money is an issue at the moment so I'll ponder on all ideas,but there is an AR-15 in the near future thats for sure.I'm kinda leaning towards a build hell if I can work on a 6 million dollar plant I aint afraid of an AR.

If you are on a budget, build it.

Buy parts here and there and piece it together over a period of time instead of spending all at once.

I'm in the process of my 1st build as well. Picked up a PSA lower for $50, MOE+ LPK from PSA & stock. Spent $50 on some tools, that aren't required, but make building it a piece of cake. Not to mention they are good tools to have regardless.

Lastly, just pick the upper you want and you will be good to go.

Lower is easy, then just take your time/do research as to what you want the rifle to do and pick the upper setup to fill that need.

The good part about building is that you REALLY get to know how the system works

Can you guys really build an upper cheaper than you can buy an assembled/test fired one?

Doesn't seem to work out for me.

Now assembled lowers are getting so cheap that it may not pay to build them either.

it really depends.. the reason I say this.. is my build was probably marginally more than off the shelf would be.. but I did EVERYTHING I wanted from moment one.. instead of settling for an off the shelf one to make changes later..

Can you guys really build an upper cheaper than you can buy an assembled/test fired one?

Now assembled lowers are getting so cheap that it may not pay to build them either.

Depends on what you want..with a Del-ton or similar M-4 style upper from Midway right around $400, and say a Cav-comp (Brownells) for under $30.00 you probably CANT build up your own cheaper ETA, pricing it out on what is available on Midway, and going cheap you can do it for pretty much about the same price.

Depends on what you want..with a Del-ton or similar M-4 style upper from Midway right around $400, and say a Cav-comp (Brownells) for under $30.00 you probably CANT build up your own cheaper ETA, pricing it out on what is available on Midway, and going cheap you can do it for pretty much about the same price.

Thanks Pipes...I thought it was just me.

I agree with you on uppers that unless you want a certain combo that no one sells, its cheaper and faster to buy one already assembled.

Now for lowers thats another story. I built mine for $210 and using a PSA lower build kit which included the Magpul MOE stock, grip, and trigger guard, and I also have a Noveske qd endplate. Now using Delton as an example, their pre-built lower with the same parts but without the qd endplate ($25) or MOE trigger guard ($9) is over $100 more.

Thanks Pipes...I thought it was just me.

Personally I dont mind building up..just did one last night in fact, while the Sammich-maker was out at a meeting of her bereavement group. only thing left is to put the muzzle device on, drill, pin and weld, which i'll take care of as soon as it comes in..i HAD been planning on putting a Surefire brake on, with the intent to supres it eventually once im out of NJ. After looking around though, I found that Spikes makes a comp/mount that costs just a little over half as much, AND their supressor will be cheaper as well for my little Hog-buster down the line. NOW i'm a happy man. Next step, figuring how to pin this damned Ergo-stock....Which BTW I HIGHLY reccomend. It's a little spendy at around $140.00, but it's ROCK solid, and pretty comfortable,

I see my man card is in jeopardy :icon_redface:

Do what I did: research it all first and plan your assembly*. If you're still unsure, post your plan here and ask for comments... there will always be comments.

I assembled 3 AR-15 lowers... uppers seem a bit more daunting to me, but also unnecessary given the economics of assembling vs. buying there (while building may be slightly cheaper, buying has immediate time savings).

*I say "assembly" because that's essentially what you're doing on an AR platform when putting parts together

Well since he said Egro stock and Spikes comp/mount, I'd say the Ergo F93 stock http://www.ergogrips...ge=prostock.gif and the Dynacomp HVS comp http://www.spikestac...-308-p-740.html

Correct on Both.... I rolled the dice on the Ergo stock, as opposed to putting another Ace skeleton , and I'm glad i did..As i said before i'm really impressed with the solidity of it as compared to a standard-style Carbine-type stock, NO rattle whatsoever, and it locks up like a bank vault....now to decide where/how to pin it..Oh and i'm going to load the thread protector for the comp up with AAC's Rockset, which will NOT come off under normal conditions,