claptrap

NJ Legal AR15 Build Kit

So I decided that I want to get an AR15 soon, and I think it would be more fun to build one so I learn more about them at the same time.

Does anyone know of a company that sells a kit that would be NJ legal right off the bat? I see some of the ones from del-ton (http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm) but I don't think they are legal. And I want to get a stripped lower from maybe Spikes or any other recommendation.

Also I was thinking mid-length would that be a good recommendation for a first AR? Thanks.

With the Phantom Aggressive pin and welded it should be legal. I've been looking at that kit for a long time and the Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport.

Sounds like we're in the same boat, I was also looking at the smith sport, still trying to decide. I'm worried about screwing something up building myself

Actually, if anyone has any suggestions for me, let me know. The main things I want are a flat upper, RIS, and fixed stock. Oh, and an 18-20" barrel. I have a hard time finding all of that with a NJ compliant muzzle end. Most come with Flash-hiders, and not compensators.

BCM has uppers and you can chose a pinned/welded comp. Just build the lower however you want (I ordered the MOE+ PSA kit from palmetto state armory). Finish the lower 1st and PIN THE STOCK. Then just order the complete upper already NJ legal from whoever (like I said, bravo company has them for example) and you are good to go.

Edit: The issue is finishing the lower and pinning the stock prior to having the upper in posession. (AKA dont order the complete kit from PSA that includes the upper w/ a collapsable stock)

BCM has uppers and you can chose a pinned/welded comp. Just build the lower however you want (I ordered the MOE+ PSA kit from palmetto state armory). Finish the lower 1st and PIN THE STOCK. Then just order the complete upper already NJ legal from whoever (like I said, bravo company has them for example) and you are good to go.

Edit: The issue is finishing the lower and pinning the stock prior to having the upper in posession. (AKA dont order the complete kit from PSA that includes the upper w/ a collapsable stock)

This is exactly what I'm doing. Stripped lower has been ordered (but it's not here yet), LPK and MIAD grip in my possession, stock is pinned and ready. Once the lower arrives and I get it assembled, I'll buy a complete upper from one of the places like BCM or Accessory Arms that pins/welds the brake before it ships.

So I decided that I want to get an AR15 soon, and I think it would be more fun to build one so I learn more about them at the same time.

Does anyone know of a company that sells a kit that would be NJ legal right off the bat? I see some of the ones from del-ton (http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm) but I don't think they are legal. And I want to get a stripped lower from maybe Spikes or any other recommendation.

Also I was thinking mid-length would that be a good recommendation for a first AR? Thanks.

can't recommend which to buy, I just had the chrome lined, 1x9, pinned brake m4 kit shipped w the A2 stock & A2 from sight, no bayo lug

Del-ton had it to my door in under 3 weeks

Awesome customer service!

can't recommend which to buy, I just had the chrome lined, 1x9, pinned brake m4 kit shipped w the A2 stock & A2 from sight, no bayo lug

Del-ton had it to my door in under 3 weeks

Awesome customer service!

Your gonna have to let me know how it works out can you take a pic of the front with the a2 sight?

How does Del-Ton rate quality-wise along with some of the other uppers on the market? Is it good stuff? Looking for an upper as I just built my lower yesterday and don't know what to go with.

I'm certainly not an expert on this matter, my point of comparison would be a Bushmaster I've owned previously, the DTI is very good as far as fit and finish are concerned. I did quit a bit if Internet research before getting thi kit, an most of what I'd read about DTI seemed pretty positive. You'll read alot about "mil-spec" and such (properly staked gas key, finish under the gas block, etc) and DTI had most, if not all of what seems to be crucial for a reliable AR

Alot of people seem to indicate if youre not spending $1k plus, you're getting a "range toy" that couldn't be trusted in a serious situation

I have no doubt that companys like BCM, noveske etc. make a fantastic rifle, the question for me was "how much more fantastic?" My choice of an AR as a platform was due largely to the ability to upgrade and modify, so I figured even if this isn't the "best of the best" with some elbow grease I could get pretty damn close.

one thing I will write as absolute FACT is this-once you finish your first build, you'll be hungry for more ;)

I'm certainly not an expert on this matter, my point of comparison would be a Bushmaster I've owned previously, the DTI is very good as far as fit and finish are concerned. I did quit a bit if Internet research before getting thi kit, an most of what I'd read about DTI seemed pretty positive. You'll read alot about "mil-spec" and such (properly staked gas key, finish under the gas block, etc) and DTI had most, if not all of what seems to be crucial for a reliable AR

Alot of people seem to indicate if youre not spending $1k plus, you're getting a "range toy" that couldn't be trusted in a serious situation

I have no doubt that companys like BCM, noveske etc. make a fantastic rifle, the question for me was "how much more fantastic?" My choice of an AR as a platform was due largely to the ability to upgrade and modify, so I figured even if this isn't the "best of the best" with some elbow grease I could get pretty damn close.

one thing I will write as absolute FACT is this-once you finish your first build, you'll be hungry for more ;)

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. And yes, I haven't even completed building my first and I think I already have been infected with a very serious case of BRD (Black Rifle Disease)! LOL!

Does this look NJ legal? I see that it has an A2 flash hider, but don't know if AIM Surplus can change that to a muzzle brake?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+5.56%2f.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=368

Does this look NJ legal? I see that it has an A2 flash hider, but don't know if AIM Surplus can change that to a muzzle brake?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+5.56%2f.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=368

Assuming your lower has a detachable box magazine and pistol grip, the flash hider, threaded barrel and bayonet lug make this upper a no-go

you could very easily have it shipped to a forum vendor to have it "new jerseyed"

depending where you're located reach out to:

Pk90

arms-n-ammo (south jersey)

or

nickjc

at mastodon ammo and camp (north jersey)

these are of the top of my head, and will be able to answer any questions you have, and are very knowledgeable.

dtown223... keep in mind with the A2 front sight you may need to order the Bushmaster longer front post to work properly with the flat-top you have, as your front sight appears not to be F marked..

Thanks YWHIC, copy that!

Id already posted that very question before purchasing this upper, I figured a little extra zeroing was worth not having to dremel the "evil" lug

Glad to help!

This kit with the necessary "new jersey" upgrades

was $588 shipped

can't say enough good things about DTI customer service too

I'll let you know how she shoots once I'm up & running

Was that for the Upper + Lower? If so that's an awesome price!

Was that for the Upper + Lower? If so that's an awesome price!

That price was for everything less a stripped lower, I particularly liked that the brake came pinned and welded, and no bayonet lug

my order experience was extremely positive-From order to delivery was about 2 weeks, no problems..other people have not been as lucky, and DTI (like alot of AR suppliers) seems terribly back logged right now