Luke_WO

How cold is too cold?

Was out at Lehigh Valley today with some family and friends to shoot some clays. Had a great time, as always. There was just about nobody there, but that's probably because it was 15-20 degrees just about the whole time. Personally, I don't get cold that easy, and I'm happy to go shooting in frigid weather if it means the crowd will be nonexistent.

Is there a temperature that's just too cold for you guys to go shooting?

It's never too cold. I remember last winter shooting my MG42 and it was so cold that the oil and grease turned to sludge and looked a lot like cosmo. Now I know how the Germans felt during Stalingrad, the gun wouldn't cycle at all. Its never too cold, just fire up a burn barrel and have fun.

I was up at CR today about noon and it had warmed up to about 13*F. It was 5-6*F earlier.

Sent my buddy Pete out to fire form some cases and sat in the RO truck with Big Gene.

My momma didn't raise no fool. Fire formed the second loading in the back yard.

I got to move south...

It's never too cold. I remember last winter shooting my MG42 and it was so cold that the oil and grease turned to sludge and looked a lot like cosmo. Now I know how the Germans felt during Stalingrad, the gun wouldn't cycle at all. Its never too cold, just fire up a burn barrel and have fun.

It's never too cold when you're built like a Polar Bear!!!

Once I got out of my truck and set my soda down, 10 minutes later (or less) it was frozen solid. Thats too cold... that was 2 years ago at easton. There was a terrible breeze too, I believe it was single digits. I like the cold though, its worth it when the range is empty!

I'm not fat I'm FLUFFY! Hey I got some natural insulation goin on

You and me both!

I really don't like the cold. I was outside all day in a temporary garage but had a kerosene heater blasting at me, made it bearable. Once my feet get cold though I am done!

I did shotgun league today at Old Bridge. About 12 or so of us hard-a$$es endured the 17 degree temp and the blowing wind. The League took about 1 hr 20 min. maybe. Had 3 t-shirts, a sweater, a sweat shirt as well as a lined jacket. That was about as much fun as I could stand. Went over to say hello to the Black Powder League, and they were shooting rifles from 50 yards away. One or two of the guys was doing the sitting position to gain a better score. If I coulda still felt my fingers & toes, I'd of stayed to shoot a few rounds, but alas I had had enough!

So today was a little too cold, but I had fun smashing clays with my muzzleloading shotty anyway!

I'm good till it hits the teens, then I'm out. I do enjoy the cold weather for my milsurp rifles, I can layer up and shoot the mausers, mosins and enfield all day without coming home bruised.

it's weird. i snowmobile upstate and its not uncommon for double digits below zero. but i dress for it. last time i went out in jeans, a t-shirt, and jacket to cherry ridge and FROZE. today i had thermal shirt/pants and a heavier insulated jacket and thermal socks and was a little warm. but it wasnt as cold as last weekend either. i think if you have the right clothing on, then anything above -10 is ok if you really want to do it. the hands are the hard part

it's weird. i snowmobile upstate and its not uncommon for double digits below zero. but i dress for it. last time i went out in jeans, a t-shirt, and jacket to cherry ridge and FROZE. today i had thermal shirt/pants and a heavier insulated jacket and thermal socks and was a little warm. but it wasnt as cold as last weekend either. i think if you have the right clothing on, then anything above -10 is ok if you really want to do it. the hands are the hard part

Yup, exactly, I ride my bike in the winter and I don't even use heated clothing like a lot of people I know, I will try it one day but for now, a few layers and something to block the wind and I'm good.

I shot trap yesterday and it was 19. First round my fingers were a little cold, second round I shot with no jacket as it was too bulky. The sun was out so it was that bad. I couple of degrees colder and I would have stayed home.

Yes, I tried chronoing in 20F with high winds. Wind chill was something stupid like -5. Even xm193 was cycling the gun sluggishly. The wolf was not getting it done. I've shot in some pretty cold weather, I still do if that's the only time I can get to it, but I'll try to avoid it these days.

I just got back from a nice trip to VT. It was -5 with a windchill of like -12, i don't mind the cold when I'm prepared for it, but when u feel you nostrils freeze every time you take a breath i think that's about my limit.

If i'm going to be out in under 30 degree whether i wear thermal leggings, under 15 and i wear thermals shirts. If its windy out i will throw on my snow shells, pants and jacket to block the wind. When the wool socks come out, that usually the last article of clothing i will wear until i just say screw it. But honestly +10 is probably my comfort limit.

It's all about layers.

For really cold days I usually wear my underarmour coldgear leggings under my pants (jeans or bdu pants). If it's going to be snowy/wet then I add snow pants on top of those. On top I use my Underarmour Coldgear compression shirt (long sleeved), toss a t-shirt over that, and then a sweatshirt over that. Then my winter jacket which has a zip-out fleece layer on the inside.