4redz

road force balance tires?

All, It seems I've had trouble finding a tire shop that REALLY knows how to balance tires and/or has a machine in perfect calibration...I don't know where the problem lies, but it seems to be one or the other. I've gone so far as to watch the spin check read "0" and i still have a wobble between 65-75. I bring it back, recheck and the wheel needs re-balancing. Extremely frustrating b/c I drive to PA a lot, and my truck shakes the whole ride.

So now I'm needing new tires for my 2010 Ford Expedition (20" OEM wheels) and would love to spend my money in a shop that can get it done right the first time. Some suggested I should go with a road force balance, others dismiss it as unecessary and claim a "regular" balance from someone who knows what they're doing is fine. (Uh oh...Ruger vs. Smith & Wesson???)

I live in Marlboro...Any recomendations from those with good experiences?

Thanks in advance-

I had a similar situation. I got new tires for my Axiom at 14k miles because the factory tires were dangerously bad. I had the new tires put on and it shook like crazy. I took it back, they rebalanced and it shook like crazy. I took it to a different shop(ETD), and it shook a little less. (cost $100). I took it back again and It was just a little shake at 65 so I gave up and lived with it. I had them replaced at ETD at around 60k and it was fairly good that time. Still had a little shake.

I finally bought new wheels and tires from Tire rack at 105k and they came mounted and balanced from them. I put 'em on the there and it was like new. Smooth as glass. I can only think that the first hack company (Riverside Tire in Saddle brook) bent a rim.

I can only hope there's no underlying issue... Front end seems tight and I'm thinking along the lines of what Malsua experienced...bent wheel or hopefully maybe just bad tires or operators. But I need help from someone trustworthy to get to the bottom of it. Malsua, glad to hear of your success. I started looking into Tire Rack for the complete package and HELO wheels..Issue there I have the pressure monitoring system which adds like $400 and it need reprograming. I'm trying to keep it local if at all possible.

My family has been buying tires from Gabriel's Discount Tire in South Amboy on Rt. 35 for decades. Never a shimmy. Recommend that you spend the money you will save on a wheel alignment if you're near the time to do so, as it will save your money in the long run and make for an even smoother ride. Gerry & his son Matt are nice guys and their prices are fair. They want to do it right the first time, so you keep coming back with other work. They saved me $1K on a new ECM for my Mercury in December. Guy that works for them came in sick to diagnose my car's problem, instead of just changing-out parts. If that kind of caring service appeals to you, it's well worth the trip from where you are.

Dave

I also think there may be another problem, being it's a 2010, I'd like to think it would still be under warranty, as long as mileage isn't over the limit. I would bring it in to Ford and tell them you have been through tires trying to find the problems and now you think it might be something else. First thing they might check your tires to isolate the problem, if that doesn't fix it they will start checking other areas. I would say bearing end play, tie rod's or some sort of stabilizer issue. Either way, you will have the vehicle back to a factory shop, and start tracing a problem down on something other than your dime, hopefully..

I had a 07 A4 and went through the same thing with vibrations after l had a tire blow out the first day I owned it. After going to a couple shops and having the tires rebalanced a couple of times I finally went back to the dealer. They did a road force balance and never had another problem with the wheels for as long as I owned the car. It does cost more but is worth the money.

2.5 yeras ago i purchased new tires for my truck, same problem. shop told me i had 2 bent rims. they could not explain why the old tires had no shimmy..

they even tried to convince me on a test ride that it was gone.

This year i got new tires diffrent brand and guess what.. IT IS GONE..

I suspected the tires all along.

Also had a ton of weight on rims from before. where i had one weight on the rim their were 3 with the new tires their is only one weight again.

I purchased the new tires from Cosco..

All, thanks for the replies-

The truck just turned 2 yrs old and has 30k on the OEM tires, so I'm not sure I can ligitimately complain to Ford...yet. I will be getting an alignment along with my tire purcahase and I assume that's where a good shop should pick up a bent wheel or any possible front end issues. That's why I want a good shop. If it shows up with warranty isssues I will knock on Ford's door.

The success those had with a road force balance gives me hope that if I have a wobble after buying new tires I'll have hope. I was trying to head that off and get it right the first time. Dave, I don't think Gabrie'ls has one of those RFB machines, but it's nice to hear you are a satisfied customer and I will give them a call to see if they're up to the task.

I never heard of road force balancing, must be a new thing? I have been buying tires from STS for years, I use STS on RT 37 in Toms River since I moved and Mike there has always treated me well. I have run my daily driver up to 120+ many times with no shakes! If you get a shake at only one speed range, it is probably a harmonic vibration caused by a bad tire or crappy balance job. Just my .02

Recommend that you spend the money you will save on a wheel alignment if you're near the time to do so, as it will save your money in the long run and make for an even smoother ride.

A wheel alignment (or lack thereof) will not cause or cure a shimmy. A shimmy is caused by out of spec components - which could be tires, brake components or rims. You can use a simple runout guage to check lateral and circumferential runout on the rim. Another thing is to make sure the rims are properly torqued - especially if you have aluminum wheels. Use a torque wrench and tighten incrementally, using a star pattern.

Just my $.02

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Your Ford bumper to bumper warranty is good for 3 years 36,000 miles, go to your ford dealership first.
    If your getting new tires Ford will beat any price you have been given.

I had a problem with my Toyota Sienna several years back and it was frustrating as heck. First off, where is the vibration coming from? The seats or floor? If so that indicates the rear wheels. If it is the steering wheel it is the front tires. I doubt you have drum brakes so you can rule out unbalanced drums. Now that leaves tires that are out of round... this is not as uncommon as you would think. That is the first check...next would be the rims. This can be really tricky but the easiest way to check is for run out or if you have RFB (road force balanced) the bad rim will take an unusual amount of weights. Last, your drive shaft could be out of balance...doubt it but there is a slim chance. Good luck and i would take to Ford since under warranty and they can check these things. Honestly I think it is a tire that is out of round or defective.

I am both thinking and hoping the issue relates to the tires. 30k on them, so a little early to need replacing, but I think they do. I understand pirellis are soft and wear a bit quicker. I don't feel any pull, but it would be the truck's first alignment..thinking of it as normal maintenance and perhaps troubleshooting if there are front end issues. The goal was to avoid the second trip because the new tires (when I buy them) don't feel right...I hate wasting time and effort.

You all have convinced me to take it in to Ford for the new rubber and (price match) and pay the extra for rfb to make sure the wheels are good.

I appreciate all the replies!

Didnt read all the replies so im not sure if it is mentioned already, but a drive shaft could also cause this issue. My TSX is front wheel drive and had a bad axle and intermediate shaft which caused a shake only at certain speeds/under load.

Is the trans a MT or AT? Does it happen if in Neutral as well/not under load?

If the shimmy/wobble is felt in the steering wheel at 60-75 it more than likely is a wheel balance issue. Tire balance issues are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles on new Ford vehicles. Im a master certified Ford tech, I haven't seen any issues with the new Expeditions in regards to the front suspension causing a vibration. You are on the right track having a shop road force the tires, all Ford dealers I have worked for have road force balancers, I would strongly recommend bringing it to the dealer.

I know many people claim dealerships will rip you off, and I may be slightly biased considering I am a dealership technician. The way I see it, you will pay more than likely the exact same amount for a road force balancing at a dealer, and the same amount for new tires (if you find a better price on the same exact tire, all Ford dealers will match that price if shown proof). Plus, you have our knowledge and experience, not some high school or tech school technician that doesn't work specifically on your brand. On top of all that, if an issue with the suspension is found, we will fix it under warranty.

I work in Washington, NJ. I know people at many dealers in North Jersey, and am more than happy to help you with your issue.

Yup, having the dealership do it is the way to go. The tires ARE going to be replaced, then RFB. I think the Pirellis are just old an tired (out of round b/c I had them re-balanced at two shops, and still feeel the wobble at speed) I do not think (hope) there's any other issue....But if so, I need it fixed before the warranty expires, the truck & tires have 30K on them.

Forayzor, Please PM me if you know anyone specific I should talk to closer to me in central NJ (All American in Old Bridge, Freehold Ford, etc.)

I used to have the same problem, and I used to work at Sears as a auto tech and I remember a few things. First off those yellow red and blue dots, the yellow dot should be alligned with the valve stem, there actually markings to mark the heaviest nuetral and lowest wieght area, that's what bridgstoon and michelin told us when we went for training. Second off, there should only be one weight on each side of the rim. Of there is multiple weights on the rim face there doing it wrong. Third and last, inspection for a broken belt on the tires, honestly we were told to put the aide that had a broken belt on the inside, there will be a.indent or a bubbling or the tread face will be inconsistent. Take a look at this stuff, if its all good Ur rims maybe bent or they forgot to put the hunsentric ring on Ur hub before installing your time hope i.helped

Thank you.. lots of things for a good tech to be doing. I hate paying for a service and needing to check that it was done right. I will put my trust in the dealer sometime over the next few weeks and hope it cones out perfect the first time.