jjchrissy

Social Security number on ATF form 4473

I'm not sure if this topic has been addressed and could not find it on a search. Whenever you buy a rifle or handgun at a dealer, you are require to fill out the ATF 4473 form. The portion that is optional is the SS#. Do you normally complete this portion or leave it blank. With all the identity theft, is it better to leave it blank? Does it affect completing your purchase transaction if left blank? The reason this came up is that at one gun shop, the person expected that I left it blank..He already told the NICs the SS# was not available.

I leave mine blank. The only time I put my SS # down is if the supporting paperwork already had it on there. i.e. was my FL ccw, my dd214 and discharge paperwork had my ss# on them. So I put down my ss# on all assoc. paperwork.

If it down't say voluntary in the box, it will usually say it in the fine print where you sign the document.

I've found it varies depending on the FFL. Some FFL's will allow me to leave it blank, but write my SSN separate on a scrap piece of paper that they'll use to communicate the SSN to NICS but then throw away afterwards. Other FFL's have refused to do the transfer without me filling out the SSN on the ATF form.

In NJ, it doesn't seem to matter because as soon as the dealer gives NICS your SBI number the personnel in Trenton have all your vitals anyway. In PA I've been told that it will take longer to run the NICS if you don't give it to them, I usually leave it blank and tell the dealer to read it to them off the back of my FID card (I have an older card that has my SS# on it).

I never provide my SSN on any form unless there is a statement on the form listing the statute that mandates that it be collected. The statement is required by law. If it isn't there, then they don't need it. No statement = optional. I have been told that the process will take longer. It never does and how could it possibly.