S&W39

NJ Firearms Guild

I've been a steady customer of the Guild for many years. I've also brought in a few friends to buy there. Although their prices ran alittle higher than other shops, I continued to shop there because of their selection and knowledge of their firearms. They've always been courteous to me and have spent alot of time with me even when I was'nt ready to buy anything. I have to take issue lately with their prices and the manager unwillingness to negotiate on used guns. A few months ago I wanted to buy a used rifle, the manager offered me a deal which I found to be ridiculous, especially for a steady customer. I've gotten better deals in a shop where no one knew me. After alittle research I found out that same gun was overpriced. OK thats one instance, maybe it was the manager having a bad day. Recently I was there and thought let me give them another chance. I see another used rifle there I recently have done research on. The condition of the gun was alittle less than fair, it was priced so far out of range for its condition I just got disgusted and left. I guess their prices come at no surprise to many forum members, but now its gotten to the point of being unreasonable. Recently the owner has opened two new shops, Easton PA and Branchburg NJ. Maybe the owner is pressurring the NJ shop to be real tight at the expense of guild customers, who knows. I thought Sayreville Sportsman was bad, this place has become a close second.

I've been to the Branchburg shop quite a few times since it opened in the last few months, mostly for archery stuff during hunting season... but have also checked out the firearms section on a few occassions as well. Their prices for firearms are pretty high, especially for handguns. Their prices are also NOT negotiable (according to their staff when I asked them)... so whatever they have on the tag is the final price. Yeah, I won't be buying guns there any time soon!!! Even their archery section is somehwhat pricey... but they're only 5 or 10 minutes from my house, so I use them when I'm in a pinch and need something (archery stuff) quickly during hunting season.

Best prices I've seen new/used has been Shoreshot and sometimes by a decent margin.

It depends on what you want but the vender members here usually are quite competitive

and have good reps.

I'll only buy from there if im in a pinch, prices on everything there are astronomical, and they will not do any negotiating.

They are going to have to start a change sooner or later, Bullseye tactical opening up in woodbridge, 5 minutes down the road from NJFG, and his prices are very very reasonable. Stiff competition is in town now.

They are higher priced , but I am OK with that. They're 5-10% below MSRP with CC, a few % less with cash.

However, they have a vast selection of handguns, more than any other store I've seen in NJ and most other states. A few weeks ago I went in with a permit, told them I had no idea what I wanted to buy, and had 30-40 different handguns in my hands over an hour or so (I bought an XD(M) 3.8 in 40). I bought an M1A there last week. SLightly more than I would have paid other places, but they had 8 or 9 different models to touch. Anytime I've wanted a lever-action rifle they've had 10-15 different models, new and used, in 5+ calibers.

So, I agree, they are pricey, but I'm willing to give them the extra $$ in exchange for me being able to see and touch 100's and 100's of different pistols.

The new store in Branchburg appears to be much higher priced, lower selection, and the staff doesn't have the owner on site so there's no chance of discounts, unfortunately.

They are higher priced , but I am OK with that. They're 5-10% below MSRP with CC, a few % less with cash.

However, they have a vast selection of handguns, more than any other store I've seen in NJ and most other states. A few weeks ago I went in with a permit, told them I had no idea what I wanted to buy, and had 30-40 different handguns in my hands over an hour or so (I bought an XD(M) 3.8 in 40). I bought an M1A there last week. SLightly more than I would have paid other places, but they had 8 or 9 different models to touch. Anytime I've wanted a lever-action rifle they've had 10-15 different models, new and used, in 5+ calibers.

So, I agree, they are pricey, but I'm willing to give them the extra $$ in exchange for me being able to see and touch 100's and 100's of different pistols.

The new store in Branchburg appears to be much higher priced, lower selection, and the staff doesn't have the owner on site so there's no chance of discounts, unfortunately.

Dont get me wrong, im all for local bussiness staying in bussiness, and I have bought a few pistols and rifles there in the past, but when it's so easliy accessable to buy else where for considerable amount cheaper...people are going to start shopping there.

I used to go into that place when it was still Charlie Brenner's, and have bought 1 gun from the NJFAG, and last one also. While I did get a completive price, I just didn't feel like they wanted my business. I will stop by if I am in the area and just see what they have, I won't bother them to see something unless I was really interested in it so I am not taking them away from any other customers, but I will say I'll check with the price checker here on the forum first and go through a FFL that supports the forum first. That's what I have done in the past and will continue to do as long as I am here in the PR of NJ, and let me add, not a single FFL I have dealt with from the forum made me feel like I was not only very welcome in there shop or home, but also get the feeling that really do appreciate my business.

but I will say I'll check with the price checker here on the forum first and go through a FFL that supports the forum first. That's what I have done in the past and will continue to do as long as I am here in the PR of NJ, and let me add, not a single FFL I have dealt with from the forum made me feel like I was not only very welcome in there shop or home, but also get the feeling that really do appreciate my business.

Ive bought through local shops twice with very nice experiences but I was hoping to feel the same way about the price checker. Last time I requested a price on here I got 0 replies. As far as I'm concerned its lowest price wins.

Thanks...............found it on the web. Their only minutes from my house.....gonna check out their prices. I usually deal with Lou's in Raritan. Mike is no longer there.....he took gravely ill and Chris is now in charge along with Gene the owner.

Oh man, sorry to hear about Mike. He was a pretty cool guy and I've been in Lou's a few times. Mike is a funny dude and always made me laugh the few times I was at the shop. I hope his health improves and will be OK. Last time I was there he asked me if I wanted to buy an "Irish gun" for $20... so jokingly said "Sure Mike, what kind of gun is it?" and he replied, "I got a pile of red bricks out back, take your pick!". LOL...

Wow!!! Man, that's horrible. You'd never think that a guy that is as skinny as Mike would have heart issues... but I guess that's a misconseption... that only overweight people get heart disease.

I hope he pulls through it all and recovers. Bypass surgeries these days are a piece of cake for surgeons compared to several years ago... most that have bypass surgery usually recover very quickly. My dad had bypass surgery a few years ago and they had him up and on his feet within a few days, it was amazing.

A good deal is subjective to the buyer. The Guild was always alittle higher priced. After my last several visits to the Guild their prices are non competitive with other resources. I feel with loyal repeat customers they should be more flexible when negotiating prices. If you like buying there thats your choice. As for me they lost a long time loyal customer.

I had a good experience at the firearms guild. My XD9 was cheaper there then it was a Caso's, BH, and Meltzer's (the closest shops to me). The service I received there was better than the 3 previously mentioned shops combined (although the girl at Caso's was really nice). Joe at the FG took prob about 2-3 hours to walk me through maybe 15 handguns to help me make my decision. In all honesty I walked in there that day to check out the shop but walked out with a gun based solely on the service I received. You want crappy service? Go talk to the old guy at Meltzers.

The Guild's service and knowledge is great... I understand that is not the question here and I'd have to agree that the prices are very high. I've had to calculate the cost benefit of ordering out of state and paying the transfer fee many times. I purchased an AR lower last year from the guild and the price was reasonable. However, my most recent handgun purchase was made from Bulleyes Tactical. Chris simply asked what was my price and met it. Picked it up last night.

The Guild seems to be a lot more flexible on prices of used firearms. From my experience in general it seems like any dealer in NJ can charge a premium. My typical process for handguns is the cost analysis above and for long guns I simply go out of state.