bry@n

first aid and medic bag set up

I recently saw a buddy set up for a medic bag. It got me thinking that I would be interested in learning more about first aid. I had some trainging back in boot but that was in the 90's. I am sure some of that training may be the same but I am sure there is new stuff out there that is good to know. That resinated after taking the quik clot class.

Does anybody else have a medic bag they use or have ready for instances that may arise?

Is there anywhere we can get training?

I saw something on a tv show that taught people how to doo stitches etc.. but it was on the other end of the country. Looking to see if there is somethwere relatively local.

I have a small bag that has bandages and gauze and small things, like tylenol and basic first aid supplies. I was an EMT-D at one point in my life but have since given that up but do get first aid and cpr training every 2 years courtesy of my employer. I could guess that FA classes are offered at nominal prices at community colleges or towns.

What do you want your training to teach you? Specifically. I can direct you from there.

Keep in mind certain skills/procedures will require you to have licensure of some sort. However if you're talking last ditch medicine (world as we know it is no more) you can do whatever you want.

Also, anyone in NJ is within an Hour of a hospital if not a trauma center. With that being said skills like suturing (which isn't just sewing someones arm back together) are better left to trained professionals.

For the average person (who wants the knowledge) learning how to prevent someone's death by exterior means (trauma) is a realistic goal. With that said- you can be taught simple non-invasive methods to do this in a day. Just like shooting it requires practice and continual training to remain proficient.

Stitches is a no no...not even EMTs can do that.

A basic "Jump Kit" may contain the following: (taken from Galls pre stocked kit).

Just remember, Basic 1st aid is just that. Not even an EMT can give a needle. We are just there to stablize until we get the patient to the hospital, or until Medics get there.

As a civilian, you are just there to help,. until EMS get there.

bandages, ice packs, sterile water, and gloves are the most important.

Airway 1 Dyna Med CPR Mask 1 Disposable Airway Kit

Burn 1 Burn Sheet

Bandages 16 Adhesive bandages (1" x 3") 2 Abdominal Pads (5" x 9") 1 Trauma Dressing (12" x 30") 20 Sterile Dressings (4" x 4") 4 Eye Pads 1 Petroleum Gauze (3" x 9") 2 Kerlix (4-1/2") 10 Sterile Dressings (3" x 3") 2 Blood Stoppers 2 Gauze Rolls (3" NS) 2 Gauze Rolls (4" NS) 1 Waterproof Tape (1/2" 1 Waterproof Tape (1") 1 Elastic Bandage (3") 1 Elastic Bandage (4") 2 Triangular Bandages

Equipment & Supplies 1 BP/Stethoscope Kit 10 Alcohol Prep Pads 1 Antibiotic Ointment 1 Bee Sting Kit 2 Cold Packs 1 Eye Wash 10 PVP Iodine 1 Instrument Pack (shears, Kelly forceps, bandage scissors, splinter forceps, penlight) 1 Space Blanket 1 No Rinse Gel (4 oz) 5 Pair Nitrile Gloves 1 Garrity® Disposable Flashlight 1 Disposable Foam Blanket

Also as said in the Professional Training thread I am currently putting a class together that will address means to sustain life beyond what is taught in American Red Cross First Aid class.

I am down for this Tosser. Just let me know a time and place. As far as sutures, I'm talking last ditch. I wanna have an idea of how to do it and wouldn't mind practicing on a chicken (dead one of course). My idea is if I am out in the woods and unable to get to a trauma center etc...

Stitches is a no no...not even EMTs can do that.

A basic "Jump Kit" may contain the following: (taken from Galls pre stocked kit).

Just remember, Basic 1st aid is just that. Not even an EMT can give a needle. We are just there to stablize until we get the patient to the hospital, or until Medics get there.

As a civilian, you are just there to help,. until EMS get there.

bandages, ice packs, sterile water, and gloves are the most important.

Airway 1 Dyna Med CPR Mask 1 Disposable Airway Kit

Burn 1 Burn Sheet

Bandages 16 Adhesive bandages (1" x 3") 2 Abdominal Pads (5" x 9") 1 Trauma Dressing (12" x 30") 20 Sterile Dressings (4" x 4") 4 Eye Pads 1 Petroleum Gauze (3" x 9") 2 Kerlix (4-1/2") 10 Sterile Dressings (3" x 3") 2 Blood Stoppers 2 Gauze Rolls (3" NS) 2 Gauze Rolls (4" NS) 1 Waterproof Tape (1/2" 1 Waterproof Tape (1") 1 Elastic Bandage (3") 1 Elastic Bandage (4") 2 Triangular Bandages

Equipment & Supplies 1 BP/Stethoscope Kit 10 Alcohol Prep Pads 1 Antibiotic Ointment 1 Bee Sting Kit 2 Cold Packs 1 Eye Wash 10 PVP Iodine 1 Instrument Pack (shears, Kelly forceps, bandage scissors, splinter forceps, penlight) 1 Space Blanket 1 No Rinse Gel (4 oz) 5 Pair Nitrile Gloves 1 Garrity® Disposable Flashlight 1 Disposable Foam Blanket

I see what your saying and I am not looking to be a overnight emt or doctor. In a last ditch effort, I would rather try something than not. In a perfect world, going to the er or something makes sense but in a shtf scenerio, I am sure there will be bigger fish to fry.

I cut my self when i was about 18 with a bread knife working in a deli. Cut palm right in half pretty deep. cut definetley needed stitches.I was young and still had a bill when I tore my achillies tendon. My mom works at a vet hospital. She brought me home I think a number 5 Vicryl. Have a scar on my hand but we stitched it up pretty good. Even had doctors complimented on suture. I worked at that vet hospital too. After seeing somebody suture a couple times you get the Idea. Mostly simple interrupted Suture but that's the only one I think you'll need I doubt anyone is gonna suture an organ. Practice makes purfect make sure you have some good antibiotic in first aid pouch.

Great topic. I'm currently building first aid kits for my vehicles and home as well as a kit for my range bag. After taking the QuikClot class on Saturday I'll be adding the combat gauze, tourniquet, chest seal, and compression gauze to them.

Great topic. I'm currently building first aid kits for my vehicles and home as well as a kit for my range bag. After taking the QuikClot class on Saturday I'll be adding the combat gauze, tourniquet, chest seal, and compression gauze to them.

I was looking for them online. We should all see if we could do a group buy to save some $$ maybe.

What works better for everyone... Weekend day or weeknight?

I'm still working on a location.

Obviously, it depends on location. But I'll go with the flow since I don't want to miss this.

Put me on the list also, please. I am also looking for some basic training to help someone before professional help arises. I am also interested in knowing some first aid for common household injuries suffered by little ones/family members. My big fear is that my little guy will burn himself or something in the future and I want to know what to do right away to avoid any panic. I looked online for Red Cross seminars but a lot of that is CPR etc.

Most of the information needed is on youtube. I was a quick clot demo on youtube a while back and stiched shouldn't be too hard to find out how it is done. If you guys want to be creative and practive I have an idea that all of you will laugh and then say thats smart. Practice on a peice of meat it can be beef or chicken doesnt matter the concept is how to make the stich then look up the arteries from the body and how to ensure they are not effected from the stich. When it comes to deep wounds there have to be several layers made so that the wound unifies itself and doesnt heal with a hole. I have taken the basic first aid classes from high school, the red cross first aid course, and have had plenty of actual occasions when something happened from broken bones to deep cuts that are about two inches deep so I have seen plenty. Youtube surprisingly or now can teach everyone and by researching you can see how it is done and make simulations to practice many of my personal meathods are not always thought to be the best, but in a shtf situation or a quick lets stop the bleeding situation it has worked flawlessly. I have never done stiches, but think of it as trying to sew with fishing line nylon or spectra it is the same concept to sew and ensure the wound will not open by itself I have a personal kit that I take with me on any big trip with multiple people i make I will dig for it and make a kit list as soon as I can there are hundreds of amazing products available and many are bought locally at walmart, cvs, walgreens, riteaid or almost any pharmacy.

In case anyone's interested, I posted a kit dump towards the beginning of 2011.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23046-small-light-first-aid-kit/page__view__findpost__p__307370

Had to use it a few times over the past year (most recently in Haiti) and was able to treat everything from a deep puncture wound to minor burns.