bulpup

"Strangers knocking at Night" article

I read this and it stuck me as a little funny. People in detroit can get permits to solicit door to door until 9pm? No one should be knocking on my door at 9pm to sell me something. The article makes me think that the reason they put the info out there is because no one answers the door for the permit holders. Perhaps I am overthinking. Strange article.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/crimetracker/Know-what-to-do-when-a-stranger-knocks/-/1719402/8253204/-/7lph7q/-/index.html

I remember door to door solicitors back in the 70s. When we lived in Akron, it was quite common. When we moved out to the country, we turned a very jaundiced eye at them.

I do remember the time that one of them knocked on the door at the farm and it woke me up. I was home sick that day. I didn't answer. He went back out to the vehicle and his partner got out and started to gather up bags and stuff out of the back of the van.

When I came out onto the porch with the shotgun, they both froze and concocted a story that they were looking for my dad. "Not here". When he said "we'll stop by later", I said "I don't think that would be a good idea". They backed up the drive in a hurry. lol.

• Like 1

The knock, smash and grab was just brought up to me. It seems this is one of the biggest issues we face today at home. If my bell rings at 8pm, I am already suspicous. Usually people call before just stopping over.

I remember a time not that long ago that you actually looked forward to someone ringing the doorbell. Back before everyone carried their own personal phone, friends would just stop by to say hi and bs if they were in the neighborhood.

You remember those times right? Impromtu gatherings in the front yard or garage. We wonder why nobody has manners or patience anymore, yet dont realize how many people skills we have lost our better yet not even learned since everyone just texts, ims, emails or communicates thru electronic forums...

I remember a time not that long ago that you actually looked forward to someone ringing the doorbell. Back before everyone carried their own personal phone, friends would just stop by to say hi and bs if they were in the neighborhood.

You remember those times right? Impromtu gatherings in the front yard or garage. We wonder why nobody has manners or patience anymore, yet dont realize how many people skills we have lost our better yet not even learned since everyone just texts, ims, emails or communicates thru electronic forums...

The sense of community is simply not there anymore... People move more often and are usually a lot more distrustful these days.

Heck, even in my own condo complex, the only folks who are friendly about anything are the older people. The people my age and in between generally keep to themselves and never want to talk.

If my bell rings at 8pm, I am already suspicous.

If my bell rings AT ALL when I don't expect someone to come, or a expect a delivery, I'm suspicious. Remember, most burglaries actually happen during the day when nobody is at home. And using some kind of diversion to get you to open your door isn't uncommon at all.

The knock, smash and grab was just brought up to me. It seems this is one of the biggest issues we face today at home. If my bell rings at 8pm, I am already suspicous. Usually people call before just stopping over.

I get pissed when people show up with out calling

I get pissed when people show up with out calling

Why would you get pissed? it's sad that society has become conditioned to get angry if someone comes knocking.

How old are the guys who get pissed if someone stops by without calling. If I am out running errands or especially if I am out on the bike I stop by friends houses or houses of people I haven't seen in a long time just to shoot the **** and catch up.

Why would you get pissed? it's sad that society has become conditioned to get angry if someone comes knocking.

How old are the guys who get pissed if someone stops by without calling. If I am out running errands or especially if I am out on the bike I stop by friends houses or houses of people I haven't seen in a long time just to shoot the **** and catch up.

I hear ya, I have no problem with people stopping by, I have had buddies on rides across the country stop by, they have been told when in the area come on by, grab some grub and a beer, and if they need a place to crash for the night they are more than welcome. A bunch of us are that way, saves some coin when your on th road, you get to see a friend you may not have seen in a while and you help them out, they help you out.

What goes around comes around. Now late night sales people, not as common as they were back 20 or 30 plus years ago, that I never liked, but friends are always welcome.

The sense of community is simply not there anymore... People move more often and are usually a lot more distrustful these days.

Heck, even in my own condo complex, the only folks who are friendly about anything are the older people. The people my age and in between generally keep to themselves and never want to talk.

I totally agree, man... It's pretty sad. All the elderly people in my neighborhood are so nice and always will stop and talk, or walk over to chat when they see me out in my driveway or if I'm walking down the street. In the summer months they all hang out outside and we chit chat every day. It's really cool. About two years ago this stupid young couple in their late 20's maybe, moved in right across the street from me and since the day they moved in they will go out of their way to not acknowledge their neighbors or say hello. If they see you outside they pretend like they don't see you or look at the ground... It's really friggin rude. They just look like douches... so I'm not saying that all younger people are this way... most of the younger guys that I've met via NJGF though are really super nice guys. I'm only 41, which I guess is "older" to some of the guys in their 20's on this board... but I do agree that the younger generations have just lost that sense of community and the ability be social with those around them.

I totally agree, man... It's pretty sad. All the elderly people in my neighborhood are so nice and always will stop and talk, or walk oIver to chat when they see me out in my driveway or if I'm walking down the street. In the summer months they all hang out outside and we chit chat every day. It's really cool. About two years ago this stupid young couple in their late 20's maybe, moved in right across the street from me and since the day they moved in they will go out of their way to not acknowledge their neighbors or say hello. If they see you outside they pretend like they don't see you or look at the ground... It's really friggin rude. They just look like douches... so I'm not saying that all younger people are this way... most of the younger guys that I've met via NJGF though are really super nice guys. I'm only 41, which I guess is "older" to some of the guys in their 20's on this board... but I do agree that the younger generations have just lost that sense of community and the ability be social with those around them.

Yup thats exactly it. I've seen it so many times. They stare at the ground or pretend to look at their cell phones. I kinda just came to the conclusion that maybe they aren't being rude on purpose. I think it's possible they dont know how to socialize like people used to. so in turn they try to avoid the situation in order to keep themselves from being in a potentially uncomfortable situation. It's uncomfortable to them because they don't know how to handle it. Whats the easiest way to do that? Avoidence. Put your head down and avoid eye contact. Makes sense to some degree.

Not always being I can see who is at the door, but yes I have had my HD gun with me a time or 3.

Same here, depends on if its a shady lookin character or not. One or two new unsavory residents in the neighborhood these days attracting the wrong company. Keeps me on alert.

So do some of you answer your door at that time of night with a firearm behind your back?

No, I personally don't as my wife would probably sh*t herself if I did... LOL! Plus, I live in an area that is considered to be very safe (I know, I know... no place is 100% safe and sh*t can happen anywhere). I have a super wide angle peephole on my door so I can see who's out there and if they don't look familiar, then I'll ask through the door for them to identify themselves. If I don't know who they are and they look or sound suspicious, I wouldn't open the door and probably call the police if I feel it was necessary. If the situation gets bad and I think need a gun it's only a few feet away in a place that only I can access.

Same here, depends on if its a shady lookin character or not. One or two new unsavory residents in the neighborhood these days attracting the wrong company. Keeps me on alert.

The only time someone came to my door at night was when the neighbor's house was on fire. That said, since my street is a dead end, I do have a habit of turning on the outside lights and using my 2 million candle power spotlight to run off anyone who sees a dark street that looks like a good place to party.

• Like 1

Nodody should be ringing my bell unless I hear the mail or ups truck without me knowing. If bell rings I always answer with something loaded in my pocket. Even my parents who live across the street ring the bell a certain way so I know it's them. Anybody else calls before they one over.

I hate it when people stop by unannounced. We live in a day and age when everybody has a cell phone so if you want to stop by just give a quick call or text, it's not that complicated.

My dog (an 80lb boxer), who is generally like the most gentle and submissive dog I've known, will go nuts if the bell rings and that usually scares off most solicitors.

I hate it when people stop by unannounced. We live in a day and age when everybody has a cell phone so if you want to stop by just give a quick call or text, it's not that complicated.

My dog (an 80lb boxer), who is generally like the most gentle and submissive dog I've known, will go nuts if the bell rings and that usually scares off most solicitors.

I have a Boxer, too (86 lbs.) Her "big dog" bark definitely makes people think twice. Actually, if it is UPS, she will start barking if their truck stops in front of the house, before they even reach the door. We live on a very quiet cul-de-sac and she alerts us to anything out of the ordinary.

Boxers are very protective.

We rarely get unexpected visitors. I've lived in this house 8.5 years and I cannot remember anyone stopping by to sell something.

Coming from a society where evening strolls through the neighborhood and visiting with friends unannounced was the norm,then moving to the big city where I think I saw the residents next door twice in 10 years and damned if I knew their names, I can relate.

I answer any late night knock with a firearm within arm's reach and expect friends to announce themselves with a phone call. I am not proud but I am prepared.

The only time someone came to my door at night was when the neighbor's house was on fire. That said, since my street is a dead end, I do have a habit of turning on the outside lights and using my 2 million candle power spotlight to run off anyone who sees a dark street that looks like a good place to party.

Its actually funny, because i moved here from what some would consider a bit of an unsavory neighborhood, and yet I lock my doors more now than then. I used to welcome the sound of my front door chime jingling because it meant I had company who knew to just walk in. Now I guess its because I know no one I know is going to drive 30 mins to stop by unannounced, I'm not so relaxed. Couple that with the kid up the street that thinks he's an entrepreneur, a few of his clients that almost got ripped out of the cars when they park infront of the empty lot across the street to conduct busuness. And the me getting stopped after dropping my kid at the bus stop because I fit the description of someone fleeing the scene of an attempted B&E, I'm a little skeptacle about that shady looking window salesman that stopped by at 5:45. Knock after 7pm and if its not the neighbor or his kids, you better believe I'm packin.

The way I see it, if I dont know you personally, you better have a damn good reason to be knocking on my door after dark. Salesman or not..... I told a local LEO almost the verry same phrase when he was shining a flashlight in my windows at midnight.