NJdiverTony

S&W 686 vs 686 Plus vs 686ssr... which one and why?

Once I get my permits in the next couple of months, I'm seriously considering picking up a revolver after all the advice I've gotten from many of you guys... and also from a lot of research and reading I've done about them. So I'm pretty set on S&W... but looking at the 686's, there are various models... 686, 686 Plus and 686 ssr... which should I go with and why?

I know the ssr uses forged parts instead of the MIM in the regular 686, and has some other upgrades... but does it make it THAT much better than a regular 686?

I look forward to all you revolver afficionado's advice.

Thanks,

Tony

Depends on what you're going to use it for. The 686+ would be a good choice for steel. The SSR (which stands for Stock Service Revolver - the class in IDPA for which this gun was designed) if you intend to compete in IDPA or USPSA, or just want an upgraded std 6-round 686. The regular 686 is a fine gun in its own right and can serve in all capacities dependent on which barrel length you choose (IDPA is restricted to 4" or less). You may also want to consider used. You could get a pre-lock 586 (blued) or 686 for around $600+/-. Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't know the difference between all the 686 models. I owned a nice pre-lock 686-1 and sold it. I never liked the full underlug. It made the gun feel nose heavy to me. If you don't mind buying used (older S&W guns were built better than all but the customs guns of today), check oy a Model 19 (k frame). I think it is the best balanced 357 ever made. They can be found for under $500. If you want something beefier than the K frame, check out the Model 27 and Model 28 (N frames). They are built like tanks, yet still are well balanced. They are my favorite. I own one of each.

A pre-lock S&W is more than just a gun without a lock. I dont know the exact years off the top of my head but right around when they went to locks they also went to MIM parts. So, a pre lock pinned barrel 686 will have forged internals and are of nicer fit & finish. Plus they dont have a (fugly) lock

That is... until the lock breaks the gun for you... which has happened quite often.

Happened to me. It would be pretty shitty if it were a home defense situation. Thankfully mine was at the range, with a gunsmith 10 yards away.

1. It is not something that happens often, in fact, it rarely happens.

Now, I would rather buy used because they are less expensive (usually) and some things were done better back in the 90's and eariler.

I have 8 revolvers, all S&W, bought each one used. One has the internal lock, the rest don't. They all work perfect.

1. It is not something that happens often, in fact, it rarely happens.

Now, I would rather buy used because they are less expensive (usually) and some things were done better back in the 90's and eariler.

I have 8 revolvers, all S&W, bought each one used. One has the internal lock, the rest don't. They all work perfect.

I too have good experiences with S&W revolvers. This company has been making them for a long long time & in many different variations as well. I'm sure some police officers carry them & if they don't have problems with the locks, you shouldn't neither.

I've been reading that a lot of people prefer the pre-lock versions... Are the new 686's with the lock really that bad?

Look into a Wiley Clapp GP100 if you want. It's sweet but I don't know if it will also have an internal lock. Anything can break on a pistol. Quality control can go south on any pistol, any manufacturer. Best not to play with the internal lock anyway.

hickok45 is one awesome shooter