NJKen

.22LR pistol

Im looking to get a 22 pistol. I would like to shoot more and not drop as much $ on ammo. So, what do you guys shoot? How do you like it? Accurate? Money is not a factor either. I dont mid purchasing quality firearms!

Thanks

Ken

The MKIII has come up with my buddies more than once now. I have shot one and do think its a good gun. I never had to strip and clean one yet but I enjoy cleaning my firearms almost as much as shooting them.

I shot a High Standard model GE and fell in love. Unfortunatly you cant even touch one for less than $1000. Even If I could find one worth a dam. I have come across a few that where just plain wore out.

Ken

There are lots of options for a 22LR.

Try and find a used in great shape Ruger Mark II Target w/ a 5.5" barrel in stainless. The 1911-22 is also an awesome gun, and you cannot go wrong with a nice 22LR revolver... Smith 617, Ruger SP101, Taurus 990/992, or I heard there is a new smith "kit" 22 available. Just make sure it is double action.

Im looking to get a 22 pistol. I would like to shoot more and not drop as much $ on ammo. So, what do you guys shoot? "A" prefix S&W model 41 (1970s production) How do you like it? Top of its class Accurate? Moreso than any out-of-the-box handgun in .22LR Money is not a factor either. That's good, because you're looking at roughly $750 used I dont mid purchasing quality firearms! "A" model is higher quality than brand new production

Thanks

Ken

I have a Ruger MKII 22/45. I LOVE it. It has no problems with ammo. I can hit a 1/2 gallon jug at 50 yards consistantly. I highly reccomand the Ruger MK guns. Very good quality and not expensive.

The down side to the Ruger MK pistols is the field stripping. It's a little bit of a pain, more so on re-assembly. Keep the manual handy and follow it and all will work fine.

You may want to consider getting a 22lr pistol comparable to other handguns you may already have or want to get. Since I have an M&P40, I ended up getting an M&P22 pistol as it's virtually identical to my M&P40...I also bought an M&P airsoft gun for some in home practicing :)

Take a close look at the S&W 41 with 7" barrel. I am very content with mine. This is one well balanced target pistol that is easy to field strip (as opposed to the Rufer Mark II or III) and a joy to shoot. The ergonomics are excellent. The 41 is not cheap, but for the money it is one of the best shooting 22 target pistols that can be had.

Another forum member has mentioned the S&W 617 revolver. I have the 4 in barrel version with an aftermarket Hogue wood grip and I like it a lot. Revolvers, however, are inherrently dirtier than semi-autos and you will be cleaning the 617 more frequently than any semi-auto. If you are really into target shooting, I would recomend the 6" barrel.

If you like the 1911 configuration, take a look at the Umerex Colt 1911 Gold Cup. This is a Colt licensed, 22 LR pistol that is manufactured by Walter in Germany. It's size, weight, features and feel are identical to a 45ACP 1911 and it has gotten very good reviews. I have one at my FFL as I wait for my purchase permit to come through. Once I've had a chance to put a few hundred rounds through it, I will post my experiences in the Rimfire forum.

Take a close look at the S&W 41 with 7" barrel. I am very content with mine. This is one well balanced target pistol that is easy to field strip (as opposed to the Rufer Mark II or III) and a joy to shoot. The ergonomics are excellent. The 41 is not cheap, but for the money it is one of the best shooting 22 target pistols that can be had.

Another forum member has mentioned the S&W 617 revolver. I have the 4 in barrel version with an aftermarket Hogue wood grip and I like it a lot. Revolvers, however, are inherrently dirtier than semi-autos and you will be cleaning the 617 more frequently than any semi-auto. If you are really into target shooting, I would recomend the 6" barrel.

If you like the 1911 configuration, take a look at the Umerex Colt 1911 Gold Cup. This is a Colt licensed, 22 LR pistol that is manufactured by Walter in Germany. It's size, weight, features and feel are identical to a 45ACP 1911 and it has gotten very good reviews. I have one at my FFL as I wait for my purchase permit to come through. Once I've had a chance to put a few hundred rounds through it, I will post my experiences in the Rimfire forum.

I respect your opinion but I disagree that the Ruger Mark III is not easy to field strip.

Just let me say, if you chose a Ruger MK series you will be willing the pistol to your grandchildren when the rest of the pistols these guys mentioned above are merely paper weights.

I agree about some of the tupperware 22s, but the S&W and Browning are heirlooms too.

I respect your opinion but I disagree that the Ruger Mark III is not easy to field strip.

Jaybirdtke,

It may not be hard, but the Mark III is more complicated to field strip than an S&W 41. On the 41, you lock the slide back, pull the trigger guard down, lift off the barrel, pull the slide further back about 1/2", lift it up & off the frame and you are done! The recoil spring and guide bar come free from the frame. Reassembly is just as easy..........

Ken,

Perhaps we're moving off the real point - you will be spending more time shooting your 22 than field stripping it. The thing to do is try holding all of the 22 pistols that folks have mentioned in this thread. You can't really go wrong with any of them, unless you are a sharpshooter. All of them will more than likely shoot better than you will.

I would look most closely at the ones that feel the best to you in your hand. After all, you will be spending a lot of time holding it so it's a good idea to get one that has the most comfortable grip for you!