Ronald Silver

Nonstop Doomsday Shows on TV

Seems like a classic chicken-egg scenario. Is the programming driving the interest or is the public growing collectively uneasy, for whatever reason? Maybe they are both feeding each other. But I will say this, that I have never heard of so many people that I know applying for their FID card, or beginning to buy extra food or just generally beginning to lose faith in the government/banks/system-at-large. It just seems like more and more people are jumping on the preparedness bandwagon, so watching these shows probably feeds that interest.

The morbid fascination with the doomsday-related ideas is... fascinating in itself. Anybody familiar with marketing or the tech firms know how those companies and the government at times are always pushing the Panglossian idea of technology, and how it and it's progress is inevitable. Look at Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon, etc. And yet society, though in relatively small amounts (but getting larger), are becoming quite apprehensive while also holding on to this idea that technology is a constant and progressive scape... really is a total back-and-forth, many times amongst the individual.

So, while in the end I agree that the networks are just trying to make a dollar by feeding on the fears of the masses; it is that further examination into the subtle that I find wildly interesting because it really exposes so much more that people might not want to quite admit just yet.

Doomsday scenarios appeal to a wide range of interests and such make for some popular shows. They appeal to people that like the idea of rugged survivalism, to people who believe we will destroy ourselves, to people who believe humans are at their best in doomsday scenarios, to people who believe humans are at their worst in doomsday scenarios, people who like to plan ahead, people who feel as just a cog in the machine in their normal lives and like to fantasize about rising to the challenge etc.

Also doomsday scenarios allow the show to concentrate on the drama of a small group of people while removing societal influences which generally makes for a more interesting show.