TheWombat

Sig P226 with Gray Guns ELCP work

I've just received my P226 USPSA back from Gray Guns where it had the Enhanced Leverage Competition Package (ELCP) work undertaken. In addition to the ELCP I also had a fat metal guide rod fitted and a replacement front sight (since on the USPSA model the factory front sight results in the POI being too low). All parts that had been removed/replaced were returned to me.

The ELCP is described as:

"This is our premier competition-only package and includes all the smoothing, tuning, springing and short reset work of our basic Competition Short Reset Package (CSR) with the addition of several features. The Grayguns ELCP features enhanced machanical leverage to dramatically reduce the DA and SA pulls without compromising factory sear engagements or ignition reliability. 6.5-7lb DA and 2.5-3lb SA pull weights are typical, depending on the model.

The internal fitted overtravel stop is not visible from the outside of the gun to comply with production-division rules, and the SA pretravel stop reduces the free slack takeup in single action mode by approx 50 percent. This package eliminates free-slack take up at the beginning of the DA stroke. The hammer will start moving as soon as the trigger is pressed and the entire DA pull will by slightly longer but dead-smooth, ultra-light and free of stacking with minimal after-travel."

The existing Short Trigger (not to be confused with a Short Reset Trigger) was replaced with a Standard Trigger as part of the ELCP package.

I had previously fitted the new style hammer strut/spring assembly as I had fitted the E2 grips. I removed the E2 grips prior to sending to Gray Guns. On receiving the P226 back I've found Gray Guns has replaced the new style hammer strut with the older one again (oh well!) so it looks like I'll be getting some Hogue grips rather than refitting the E2 grips.

So does ELCP make much difference? YES! The trigger pull in both DA and SA is much lighter, there is no slack in the DA pull and the pull overall is smoother. I am very very pleased. I compared the trigger pull with a standard P226 and it the improvements are very noticeable. ELCP is a fairly pricey upgrade however for me it is more than worth it. A+ to Gray Guns for the work.

With the replacement front sight the POI is also spot on and where it should have always been (if Sig had fitted the correct front sight to begin with).

I also had Gray Guns undertake the Carry Reduced Reset Action Package on MrsWombat's P228. I don't have a standard P228 with me to compare it against. When I catch up with someone with a standard P228 I'll post a comparison. Subjectively the P228 trigger seems smoother and shorter on the reset.

Overall it took 7 weeks from the day the guns were posted via USPS, to the day I picked them up from PK90. Within the 7 weeks there was close to 2 weeks spent in transit with USPS, a few days with PK90 awaiting me to pick them up and also the Christmas break. Taking all that into account then I'm comfortable with the turnaround time.

A few other points:

1. After sending in the firearms and receiving the written estimates for the work I subsequently emailed Gray Guns and asked for a couple of addition items (Trijicon Night Sights on the P228 and Fat Guide Rod on the P226). These additional upgrades were omitted/forgotten and it was only on receiving the bill to pay that I noticed this so there is an opportunity for Bruce and the team to improve their processes so that any amendments to the original order are not overlooked. To be fair, when I flagged the omissions to Bruce he promptly had the additional work undertaken.
  2. The CRRAP package doesn't include the upgrade to the mainsprint/strut/boot (if required). I hadn't been made aware of this so was surprised to see the extra charge on the invoice. To be fair to Bruce in addition to resolving 1) above, he also chucked in Fat Guide Rods for free to make up for this as well.
  3. The original trigger on my USPSA is nickel colored as my P226 is a USPSA model. The replacement standard trigger that GrayGuns fitted is black. I would have preferred for it to be Nickel colored as well to match the rest of the controls, however it is a minor point.

So there are a few improvement areas for Bruce and the team which we discussed on the phone. There are also some learnings for the customers to try to minimize changes to your order once you've received the estimate. Overall though I'd like to express my thanks to Bruce and his team for undertaking such great work.

TheWombat

Yo, Wombat: Just a heads-up. I know you have an eye toward competing in some of the action games in the (near?) future. Your fat guide rod may exclude you from USPSA production class. The gun cannot weigh more than 2 ounces more (with an empty mag inserted) than the published weight in the USPSA approved production gun list. The published weight of the P226 USPSA model in Nitron is 34 oz. So your gun cannot exceed 36 oz.

IDPA: a weighted guide rod is a no-no in SSP and ESP.

Since you have the OE guide rod it's a simple fix should your gun exceed 36 oz in USPSA or should you desire to shoot SSP or ESP in IDPA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

how much does a upgrade like that cost?

That work was over $4oo.

Wombat, congrats on the work. I look forward to meeting up with you and seeing the upgrades. I will bring out my W. German for you to compare Mrs' Wombat's to.

ps. sent you a text.

That work was over $4oo.

Wombat, congrats on the work. I look forward to meeting up with you and seeing the upgrades. I will bring out my W. German for you to compare Mrs' Wombat's to.

ps. sent you a text.

damn.... i was thinking 2-3 hundred.... well when i get my blackwater p226 ill send it out to get this done

damn.... i was thinking 2-3 hundred.... well when i get my blackwater p226 ill send it out to get this done

In addition to the ELCP they also have the following cheaper options. They also have been running a special offer via SigForum.com for the Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty Package for $250 (rather than $295) and have called it the CRRAP special offer, although it either has just ended or is about to end.

http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/sig-sauer-pistols/

Action Cleanup Perfection – $250

Our factory-reset package will perfect your pistol for duty and carry use with the absolute best results in mind. Our gunsmiths detail, fit and polish every bearing surface to yield the smoothest DA and SA pulls available. The DA pull weight is optimized for carry and law enforcement duty applications while retaining 100% reliability with defensive-grade ammunition, and the SA pull is set at approx 4-4.5lb.

This is the correct package for the following SIG Sauer pistols:

• all P239 pistols, and you may request optional reduced-reset as part of the package price on this model only.
  • all DA/SA SIG model (P220, P225/P6, P226, P228, P229, and X-5 All-Around)
  • all factory-equipped SRT duty / carry pistols. We offer a $20 Basic Competition package upgrade for range-only SRT pistols.
  • all SAO pistols including X-5 L1 and X5 Competition
  • all DAK or DAO models

Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty Package – $295

The famous Grayguns Reduced-Reset Comprehensive Duty Package will perfect your pistol for duty and carry use with the absolute best results in mind. As in all Grayguns action packages our gunsmiths detail, fit and polish every bearing surface to yield the smoothest DA and SA pulls available.

The DA pull weight is optimized for carry and law enforcement duty applications while retaining 100% reliability with defensive-grade ammunition, and the SA pull is set at approx 4-4.5lb. Our proprietary system reduces total trigger reset and reuptake travel approximately 40 percent (or more depending upon model) to prevent trigger-stall and enhance control while preserving all safety mechanism functions.

This package can be applied to the following DA/SA SIG Sauer P-Series models: P-220, P225/P6, P226, P228, P229, and X-5 All-Around

Competition Short Reset Package – $325

The Competition Short Reset (CSR) is our classic competition and range-only package for SIG Sauer pistols, with all the superb smoothing and tuning work included in all Grayguns action work, plus maximum reset reduction and our custom-designed competition spring set. The CSR typically yields a sub-9 pound DA, and the SA pull can be adjusted from 3.5 to 5 pounds to suit your requirements with complete reliability.

This package can be applied to the following DA/SA SIG Sauer P-Series models: P220, P226, P228, P229, and X-5 All-Around

Yo, Wombat: Just a heads-up. I know you have an eye toward competing in some of the action games in the (near?) future. Your fat guide rod may exclude you from USPSA production class. The gun cannot weigh more than 2 ounces more (with an empty mag inserted) than the published weight in the USPSA approved production gun list. The published weight of the P226 USPSA model in Nitron is 34 oz. So your gun cannot exceed 36 oz.

IDPA: a weighted guide rod is a no-no in SSP and ESP.

Since you have the OE guide rod it's a simple fix should your gun exceed 36 oz in USPSA or should you desire to shoot SSP or ESP in IDPA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks - I've just weighed the 226 and it comes in at 33.45 oz with an empty magazine, so weight wise it is looking ok, although will keep the standard plastic guide rod handy when I go to compete.

;-)

TheWombat

Thanks - I've just weighed the 226 and it comes in at 33.45 oz with an empty magazine, so weight wise it is looking ok, although will keep the standard plastic guide rod handy when I go to compete.

;-)

TheWombat

Me thinks that if you call sig and explain that the spring is chewing up your plastic guide rod, you may get a new metal guide rod sent to you. Now, it may be a stretch of the truth, it does get chewed up after use.

Now I know why they are making a 3 pound weight limit on trigger pull for Production. Not that I have any sort of issue with people doing work to their guns mind you. Nothing wrong with a smoother trigger pull.

However when they start adding overtravel stops and marketing it like this...The internal fitted overtravel stop is not visible from the outside of the gun to comply with production-division rules. it makes me :rolleyes: . I guess some people will do whatever they can to gain an edge. Not saying you, just in general. I enjoy beating people with all their little do-dads with a bone stock gun.

That being said I bet that gun is badass and would love to try it out. Post up a pic!

Now I know why they are making a 3 pound weight limit on trigger pull for Production. Not that I have any sort of issue with people doing work to their guns mind you. Nothing wrong with a smoother trigger pull.

However when they start adding overtravel stops and marketing it like this...The internal fitted overtravel stop is not visible from the outside of the gun to comply with production-division rules. it makes me :rolleyes: . I guess some people will do whatever they can to gain an edge. Not saying you, just in general. I enjoy beating people with all their little do-dads with a bone stock gun.

That being said I bet that gun is badass and would love to try it out. Post up a pic!

When you speak with Bruce about that upgrade, it's generally meant for somebody who is not shooting production. The Crrap would be for production. Is there a possiblilty for somebody to try and get away with it? yes, but I don't think many would do it.

Other than it now having the standard Sig trigger (black), rather than a Nickel colored short trigger the P226 looks identical to my original photos posted.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28114-sig-p226-uspsa/page__view__findpost__p__367376

:-)

TheWombat

How much was shipping, both ways?

Via USPS for 2 firearms, insured for $2k

$50 to send package to Gray Guns (at actual cost)

$70 charged by Gray Guns for the return

There was also a $20 per firearm fee to the FFL who did the shipping.

It may be worth checking what the UPS shipping price would be since the total cost may not be much more when you add all the bits together.

TheWombat

Just a quick follow up now we've had these for about a month.

MrsWombat had her first chance to try her P228 with the Gray Guns CRRAP (Carry Reduced Reset Action Package) yesterday when she was at RTSP. There was a lot of Wombat love for the "new" P228 and MrsWombat found the improvements were very noticeable and positive. Considering the P228 already had a good trigger to begin with then that is great news! We'll have to see whether the P228 takes the place of a 1911 on the next GFH course we do :maninlove:

The P226 USPSA with the ELCP is working well with no failures using 9mm ammunition. The standard .22 conversion also works well and benefits from the greatly improved trigger.

Overall there is a lot of Sig-love in the Wombat household now

Although the PPQ is still my no. 1 :-)

TheWombat