BarkNBite

What do you do with that expensive cutlery....anyway?

So if carrying a knife in NJ is considdered illegal other than while hunting, fishing or for work related situations.....what does everyone here do with these tactical knives....? Keepem' home in the draw ?

I was considdering buying one but seems if you have one in your car even and your stopped.......your in deep _ _ _ _.

So what do ya do with that expensive cuttlery............?

Guess this belongs in the knife forum............please move.

Simple - don't buy expensive knives.

They can be taken away rather easily. It is at the officers discretion as well, and most of the time if you aren't giving them lip, they will just confiscate it rather than arrest you. To be honest, I think a lot of people buy these expensive tactical knives just to show them off...sure some of us use them for different jobs, or just to have them on your person, but it seems like a lot of people like to use their knives for show and tell rather than any sort of hard use.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about a small little pocket knife. IMO, the smaller they are, the easier they are to explain why you have them.

If you work a trade job, hunt, etc, then having a larger knife is understandable.

I actually have 2 small knives up for sale in the marketplace. They would probably be well suited for you..check em out.

why would I be in deep ****.. I carry a CRKT knife and I carry as a general utility tool.. for everything that I may need a pocket knife for.. a knife is a tool like any other tool unless you make it a weapon...

"why do you have that knife"

"it is a general purpose pocket knife that I use for everything from cutting boxes at work to general use when out in the woods to cutting open a package of something I just purchased"

• Like 1

Yeah.............but NJ law says that it is illegal to have one your person. Aren't you risking an arrest here in NJ that could even affect your owning firearms maybe....?

IMO................the law states carrying a knife for any other purpose than hunting with a valid hunting lic. in your posession or fishing or work is a trip to the judge....?

No.............?

Yeah.............but NJ law says that it is illegal to have one your person. Aren't you risking an arrest here in NJ that could even affect your owning firearms maybe....?

IMO................the law states carrying a knife for any other purpose than hunting with a valid hunting lic. in your posession or fishing or work is a trip to the judge....?

No.............?

The law says you need a reason to have the knife, and self defense is not a viable reason. If you can make a valid argument that you need a knife to cut boxes or something else, you're g2g.

I understand that NJ's laws are absurd, but people need to stop being so paranoid. You're not going to prison for having a pocketknife.

• Like 2

The only law that may affect one while carrying a knife is:

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

And I fail to see how this would apply to just carrying it on your person.

IMO, should one become involved in an incident where they knew prior, that this incident would occur, could be charged.

Isn't a folding knife with a blade less than 4" legal to carry? I see them on belts with knife holsters all the time everywhere....malls, supermarkets, etc...

There are no such laws in NJ. The law basically says you need a reason to have a knife on your person. If you can come up with a good reason to carry a 12" bowie knife on your belt, you're fine.

• Like 1

So let's see............I'm walking in the mall and an officer asks me why I hav a knife clipped on to my pants pocket.......Hmmmm......figure a good reason fast......a......I'm going to use it on the food level during lunch ?

Really..............

"why do you have that knife"

"it is a general purpose pocket knife that I use for everything from cutting boxes at work to general use when out in the woods to cutting open a package of something I just purchased"

So let's see............I'm walking in the mall and an officer asks me why I hav a knife clipped on to my pants pocket.......Hmmmm......figure a good reason fast......a......I'm going to use it on the food level during lunch ?

Really..............

If you are so concerned, don't carry a knife. I carry my EDC folder everytime I leave the house. It is a good utility knife and I use it all the time. If a cop somehow saw I had it on me, I'd be truthful and tell him/her it is my EDC utility knife. I use it for anything from peeling off the lable of wine bottles to cutting rope and boxes.

I'm pretty sure would be just fine provided you aren't doing anything illegal, or you respond with something around the lines that you think it looks tacticool and has a high flesh slicing capability.

I carry my "expensive cutlery" (SOG Tomcat 3.0) everywhere, every day. I use it on a regular basis both at home and away from home.

It holds an edge better than any blade I've ever had, the action is smooth and the grip is extremely comfortable.

I only need a "lawful reason" to carry my SOG. My lawful reason? For anything that a good folding knife is useful for. You want details? I want my lawyer. You want to "confiscate" it? You'll regret it.

I've carried a pocket knife since my teens but find it hard to spend too much since I tend to break or lose them often.I've carried the excellent Kershaw Zing now for awhile and have only had 1 incident where I had to explain it. In Journal Square Path station where the Police officer just told me to put it in my Knapsack when he saw the clip in my front pocket as I was retrieving my wallet. I consider myself lucky because he was more mature and had obviously been on the job for awhile as I am sure the outcome would have been different with a younger, less experienced officer.

I always carry a pocket knife (allox SAK), and most of the time, a belt knife too (Buck Ranger 112). I've never been stopped and asked about it. I won't carry anything really expensive though as knives are tools, meant to be used. I'd feel bad about using a $200 high end knife whereas, I'm fine using my current EDCs. Last time I was channeling some wood, the tip on my Buck got stuck and as I twisted it out, it broke. I sent it back to Buck and for $6.95 shipping, they replaced the blade and polished her up so when I got her back, it looked brand new. If that was a $200 knife, I'd be pretty bummed...

Isn't a folding knife with a blade less than 4" legal to carry? I see them on belts with knife holsters all the time everywhere....malls, supermarkets, etc...

I always thought there was a NJ law with something about blade length of 4" (or so) and am surprised to learn via this thread that there is no such law. Good thread, I learned allot from reading it.

Glad I saw this. I know Jersey is ridiculously strict, but I really had no idea simply carrying a knife could end up being a problem.

My EDC is a folding 4" blade, but on ocassion I'll take my KABAR (12" overall) when hiking in deep woods for various reasons. I wonder how a LEO would view that...

Glad I saw this. I know Jersey is ridiculously strict, but I really had no idea simply carrying a knife could end up being a problem.

My EDC is a folding 4" blade, but on ocassion I'll take my KABAR (12" overall) when hiking in deep woods for various reasons. I wonder how a LEO would view that...

Easy. Articulate how you need a heavy-duty knife for outdoors-related purposes(chopping wood etc).

I carry a knife on me all the time. I generally carry a strider sng or a emerson limited edition hd-7. The emerson get's used more than the sng.

I refuse to walk around paranoid. I think if you walk around paranoid in life, your gonna die early from too much stress.

I own a fair number of Spyderco knives, from ones that I spent $7 on, to ones worth hundreds of dollars. Some of the more rare and valuable ones are indeed safe queens, but I do carry a fair number of mine, and rotate them out of my EDC rotation.

I've never been concerned when it comes to carrying...I carry a knife to use...so whatever that knife happens to be, I do use it. Same when it comes to LEOs, I carry without concern for them as I only ever have thought of a knife as a tool...

I do apologize for necro posting by a few months but this happened to me a few years ago. I was pulled over one night and the officer asked me if i had any weapons in the car? At this point I was working down in the ghetto of Trenton and all the beautiful areas that most people wouldn't go into getting out at ungodly hours of the night. Figured with my luck I would have my vehicle searched (had a long long stretch of bad luck), so I answered honestly told the officer yes I have a machete between my seat and the console. Surprised the officer and he got quiet after a shirt pause asked me why did I carry it with me. My only answer was has I stated early cause of the areas that I work and the times i would get out I have it there to protect myself. Surprisingly I was let go no ticket nothing confiscated and I wasn't arrested. Looking back I was extremely lucky but honesty is a better policy then hoping to deceive someone and tell a blatant lie to try and cover yourself up.

I do apologize for necro posting by a few months but this happened to me a few years ago. I was pulled over one night and the officer asked me if i had any weapons in the car? At this point I was working down in the ghetto of Trenton and all the beautiful areas that most people wouldn't go into getting out at ungodly hours of the night. Figured with my luck I would have my vehicle searched (had a long long stretch of bad luck), so I answered honestly told the officer yes I have a machete between my seat and the console. Surprised the officer and he got quiet after a shirt pause asked me why did I carry it with me. My only answer was has I stated early cause of the areas that I work and the times i would get out I have it there to protect myself. Surprisingly I was let go no ticket nothing confiscated and I wasn't arrested. Looking back I was extremely lucky but honesty is a better policy then hoping to deceive someone and tell a blatant lie to try and cover yourself up.

you were lucky because it is my understanding that while it is up the officers discretion.. "self defense" is not considered a lawful purpose..

BUT with that said.. I do not remember the actual law saying that..

"All lawful purposes". I always liked that one. :)

That's what they say you should enter in your NY State carry permit -- NOT self-defense. It's a nice catch-all, invented by lawyers to please other lawyers.

I carry a Lenox Gold folding utility knife every day everywhere. I use it at work constantly. When it gets dull I flip the titanium edged blade over, when that side is dull I throw it out and slide in a fresh blade. I actually have a legit excuse to have it in the side pocket of my carpenter pants, where I always carry it. I don't ever sweat any LEO asking why its there. In the 15 years in my trade I've never been asked "why" I'm carrying it. My answer would be simple if asked "because I need it".

ubete4um.jpg