palmtree

Muzzle Brake Vs. Non Muzzle Brake

The issue runs a little deeper than that. When you get the Arsenal with no brake, you first off of course, get no brake (which is worth $50). Secondly, the 24mm front sight base has its threads removed (and this is worth another $50 to replace). When you get the "no brake" model you cannot just add a brake in the future if you decide you want one. You have to get both the FSB & brake. I personally think the 24mm FSB with threads turned down looks like crap, too.

Now, there is also indeed a con to the brake being welded on. It cannot be removed for cleaning. This is especially bad because cheap ammo is corrosive and depends on good cleaning methods, and it has an expansion chamber that you cannot get to without removal of the brake. You can dunk it in oil or water but you can never scrub the inside. If you buy it in 7.62x39 or just never intend on using corrosive this is somewhat of a non issue.

So, is it worth it? Monetarily, its worth it because you get $100 in parts more with the brake model. It is also correct to the rifle. As far as function goes, the brake really shines during full auto fire, semi auto it doesnt really make a noticable difference. So, you be the judge!

i have never felt a huge difference on any AK with a brake over one without (semi auto)

I have, in how loud the damn thing is. A rifle with no brake is MUCH quieter than one with a brake. You WILL annoy the people shooting next to you if they are close.

I have, in how loud the damn thing is. A rifle with no brake is MUCH quieter than one with a brake. You WILL annoy the people shooting next to you if they are close.

LOL NOT what I meant..

I meant on user end.. I notice what you are describing with my AR in 308.. it DOES bother people near me..

Thinking of picking up an Arsenal soon and wanted to hear opinions of this platform with or without the muzzle break. All i have seen locally have been without and i was wondering if it be worth my while to wait and order one with a perm. Attached brake. Thanks

Go with the brake. You can always remove it later and you have options. Plus it looks better than one without it. I personally think slant brakes are pretty neat on an AKM type rifle. :)

Different threads. Slant brake is 14mm while 74 brake is 24mm. To run a slant brake you would have to change front sight bases, thread the barrel itself and then permenently attach the slant brake. Not plug & play. It would indeed solve the noise issues and cleaning issues and is equally as (in)effective for semi auto lol. But a 74 brake on a 74 is just.... mean lookin'

redak74lxe9.jpg

No, this isnt mine :(

I personally think the 24mm FSB with threads turned down looks like crap, too.

I definitely agree with that!

and it has an expansion chamber that you cannot get to without removal of the brake. You can dunk it in oil or water but you can never scrub the inside.
Yeah thats true too! That may really bother somebody... cause that stays dirty right there inside that brake. lol. I insisted on having the proper Brake for each gun. I like having the brake on the gun. All have beautiful blind pin and welding jobs, and in most cases the entire gun was professionally recoated. They are just proper. However, in spite of going through all that trouble and money I still can't clean inside the Brake like Glenn said. All guys are different. Some that may bother... some that may not. I'm learning to live with it.

So is there a big difference between a slant brake and a 74 brake. Seems to me the noise issue may be resolved a bit by the slant brake as it looks like it wouldnt have most of the gas coming venting out of the sides.
The SGL line of rifles should have a 74 Brake to be proper. Changing the FSB to one in which you would then thread the barrel. Again... not proper for this rifle. Has to be 74 style Brake.

And it does look mean though Glenn. Word up... I agree. I really only have one rifle left to do. Which may end up being my ultimate. And coincidentlly K-var just got them back in stock. And that's a clone of the S74... with the proper metal triangle folding stock... pinned and welded open of course. Thats all I have left... I think I may be spent after that. Or if I ever in a million years could do an East German MPi ... yeah... fat chance.